PDA

View Full Version : Relationship between Mass/Gravity and Time - Kolob

DrDizzle
2011-Dec-08, 05:03 AM
Hi!

For years I have heard stories of a Planet named Kolob which is said to have extra terrestrial life on it. It is believed by many, (including some ancient egyptians), this this planet is the closest planet to where the most high God resides. That same God that placed life on our planet.

I have always been curious about where it could possibly be.

The only clue is that one day on Kolob equates to 1000 years on Earth for us. This could mean that one rotation of that planet is 1000 years for us or that time is so dialated that it is literally 1 day to 1000 years.

This would mean that Kolob would have to be orbiting a HUGE ammount of mass i.e. a black hole, super massive sun etc etc.

Assuming the above is true (that one day on Kolob is 1000 years for us) how many solar masses would be needed to account for this ammount of time dialation? Then, what are the known places in the galaxy/universe that we have found this level of mass? i.e. known black holes etc...

Cougar
2011-Dec-08, 02:42 PM
For years I have heard stories of a Planet named Kolob which is said to have extra terrestrial life on it. It is believed by many....

This board does not concern itself with people's scriptural beliefs. As Dr. Eugenie Scott from the National Center for Science Education says....

"...modern science has omitted the supernatural for methodological, not philosophical reasons. It is not that scientists have an axe to grind with respect to theism. Rather, we simply get better explanations by ignoring the possibility of supernatural intervention or causation."

Actually, some thoughtful folk do have an axe to grind in this regard. Like Paul Kurtz....

"[We] should not preclude others within the community from questioning the claims of Biblical, Koranic, or other absolute faiths, particularly since massive efforts are constantly undertaken by missionaries to recruit members to the fold... [Such preclusion] is especially questionable given the constant effort by militant religionists to apply their doctrines in the political process, thus seeking to impose their views on others."

Assuming... that one day on Kolob is 1000 years for us... how many solar masses would be needed to account for this ammount of time dialation?

"Days" are determined by a planet's rotation. If the planet's orbit is tidally locked, then one side is always day and the other side is always night. If a planet departs very slightly from being tidally locked and (somehow) effects a single day-night cycle over a period of 365,000 years, then one of that planet's days would take 1,000 Earth years. The mass of the central star could be almost anything.

For a time dilation solution, I'm guessing there are a family of solutions to your scenario that yield a time dilation factor of 365,000:1. I didn't work the equation (which is found on wiki), but I expect your planet is going to be in a pretty extreme environment.