PDA

View Full Version : What Neil and Buzz left on the Moon

ToSeek
2004-Jul-21, 05:21 PM
Still doing laser ranging (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/21jul_llr.htm), 35 years later.

NASA and the National Science Foundation are funding a new facility in New Mexico, the Apache Point Observatory Lunar Laser-ranging Operation or, appropriately, "APOLLO" for short. Using a 3.5-meter telescope with good atmospheric "seeing," researchers there will examine the moon's orbit with millimeter precision, 10 times better than before.

"Who knows what they'll discover?" wonders Alley.

More and better data could reveal strange fluctuations in gravity, amendments to Einstein, the "sloshing" of the moon's core.

junkyardfrog
2004-Jul-21, 05:26 PM
Very cool....

Thanks!

CincySpaceGeek
2004-Jul-22, 09:25 AM
the Apache Point Observatory Lunar Laser-ranging Operation or, appropriately, "APOLLO" for short.

=D> I swear...there has to be a buncha people in a NASA backroom somewhere that sit around, eat Chee-tos and drink Coke all day and think these acronyms up...and get paid to do it. Where do I sign up?

Maksutov
2004-Jul-22, 10:31 AM
the Apache Point Observatory Lunar Laser-ranging Operation or, appropriately, "APOLLO" for short.

=D> I swear...there has to be a buncha people in a NASA backroom somewhere that sit around, eat Chee-tos and drink Coke all day and think these acronyms up...and get paid to do it. Where do I sign up?

But, think about this. If you did get that job, you'd probably have to move and give up dining at the Rendezvous, Corky's, and Neely's Interstate Bar-B-Q. Now, would that be a fair trade-off? 8)

CincySpaceGeek
2004-Jul-22, 11:44 AM
You do make a good point! Chee-tos vs. Interstate BBQ? No comparison. :D