PDA

View Full Version : Ok.... :-)

Toutatis
2004-Jul-22, 03:35 PM
This is a general response to the many emails (received to my Yahoo acct.) from members of these fora concerned with asteroid 4179's (Toutatis') close approach (I knew I should have selected "C/109 Peroidic" (my 2'nd fave minor object [a long story]) as my moniker - That way I'd have been cut some slack 'till 2126 ;) --- Well, ok! Let's skip the 'feel good chit chat' and cut straight to perspective ...K?

It may behoove you to mentally perform the following (physical performance is kewl too but step #3 will be a neat trick!!! ;) )

1) Place a 12-inch globe on the bonnet of your automobile (or otherwise open outdoor area)

2) Locate a convenient point 121 feet from the globe.

3) Now don your best reading specs ;) then position an object measuring 115 microns (along its utmost dimension) at said point.

You have now created a scale model of Toutatis & Earth at the former's CE @ 9/29/04...

As a side note; Earth, as viewed from Toutatis, will subtend an angle ~ 0.5 degrees at said CE (An angle roughly equal to that subtended by Luna as viewed from Earth)

There is a moral to this -- To wit: the 'close' in 'close encounter' is a relative term :D

To those of you concerned by the near daily observations of Toutatis, two words - Don't be!!! --- Such is SOP with highly observable, interesting objects... Still skeptical? Well then look at it this way; If there were a 'cover-up' (an impossibility, for reasons stated ad-infinitum) the 'powers that be' would avoid arousing 'suspicion' at all costs! (and, hence, among other points, publication of data which might reasonably be expected to indicate 'undue' interest to the 'laity' :D)

Now get your rest and save worrying for real potential problems (i.e. health, money, tyranny, etc... --- Better yet sit back and enjoy the ride (life) as far as it takes ya!!! Life is like a rotary floor buffer "Ya gotta hold on loosely but don't let go! If you cling too tightly you're gonna lose control" --- My deepest apologies to '38 Special' who weren’t singing about floor buffers - but they coulda been?! ;) -- Ok! So I'm babbling! http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/images/smiles/eusa_shifty.gif

With genuine respect
D. Sarandon

P.S. I am, owing to 'incompatibility' with my software FW (NPF), unable to reliably use the PM feature of any php board :( --- To those of you ignoring my addy but wishing to contact me, I may be contacted at: Mirbane1@yahoo.com -- Please be advised, however, that, while I am willing to offer assistance, I am not an astronomer nor have I any formal training in said discipline!

Also, to any and all who've transmitted PMs without response -- *PLEASE* understand such is not indicative of rudeness on my part! - If you received no reply *I* received no message...

N C More
2004-Jul-22, 04:07 PM
Life is like a rotary floor buffer "Ya gotta hold on loosely but don't let go! If you cling too tightly you're gonna lose control" --- My deepest apologies to '38 Special' who weren’t singing about floor buffers - but they coulda been?! ;) -- Ok! So I'm babbling! http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/images/smiles/eusa_shifty.gif

I always think about catchy songs where I can gleefully re-do the lyrics (see my responses to coberst over on BABBling). I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who does this! (This means we're both ok right?). :wink:

I loved the visual analogy. May I use it when describing why we shouldn't be concerned about Toutatis to others?...I'll give you credit! :D

Swift
2004-Jul-22, 05:14 PM
1) Place a 12-inch globe on the bonnet of your automobile (or otherwise open outdoor area)

3) Now don your best reading specs ;) then position an object measuring 115 microns (along its utmost dimension) at said point.

You have now created a scale model of Toutatis & Earth at the former's CE @ 9/29/04...

=D> Excellent model (though you might have to explain microns to some people). Maybe someone will set it up and take a photo (though the 115 micron spec will not show up well).

Morrolan
2004-Jul-23, 06:30 AM

=D> Excellent model (though you might have to explain microns to some people). Maybe someone will set it up and take a photo (though the 115 micron spec will not show up well).

i second that! =D> very good explanation...

Narthex
2004-Jul-23, 06:59 PM
Concrete explanations like that really are helpful. One of my kids got one of the awards for a science fair project this year by making scale models of the planets and placing them in the proper proportional orbital distances, using the front door of the school as the sun. We drove up and down the highway that the school is on, photographing the planets at the nearest local landmarks, so that everyone could get a feel for what the distances were. Sedna was in the news, and I think at that scale was something like 10 miles past Pluto.

Since there had to be an experimental component, a map as given to science teachers and other teachers in the school district, with the instructions to estimate where the planets would fall on the map. Most of the science teachers didn't do any better than the non-science teachers. The two best estimates were by someone who has just gotten her science teaching degree that year, and the dean of music at a good liberal arts college, who happened to be visiting.

Mathiasll
2004-Jul-26, 09:17 AM
Why oh why did I have to look at this thread... Now my head hurts. Dang.

PhantomWolf
2004-Jul-26, 09:27 AM
I'd have to say my only complaimnt with it is the mixing and matching of units.

12 inches => 305mmm, 30.5cm or 0.305m
121 feet => 36881mm, 3688.1cm or 36.881m
115 Microns => 0.115mm, 0.0115cm or 0.000115m

:)