PDA

View Full Version : More than three on the ISS?

Doodler
2004-Jul-23, 04:04 PM
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/isscrew_040723.html

This should be interesting. Nice to see a few lightbulbs flickering in the backrooms.

PARIS - NASA officials emerging from a space station partners meeting July 23 declined to commit to a U.S. purchase of Russian Soyuz crew-transport and rescue capsules but said such purchases would have to be made to meet the goal of having between four and six astronauts permanently working at the orbital outpost.

In a conference call, NASA Associated Administrator Frederick D. Gregory and Bill Gersteinmeier, the agency's space-station director, said NASA and its space station partners agreed that "more than three" astronauts should be working at the station on a permanent basis. A single Soyuz capsule can transport three astronauts.

Manchurian Taikonaut
2004-Jul-23, 05:14 PM
great, I would be very happy to see the US have more people on the space station again ( even if they have to rent russian equipments )
. I think it's important that the US gets out there as soon as possible
Go NASA !

Squink
2004-Jul-23, 09:56 PM
great, I would be very happy to see the US have more people on the space station again ( even if they have to rent russian equipments )
That scenario is looking increasingly unlikely:
NASA and its space partners on Friday approved a scaled-down International Space Station with fewer astronauts and less science so the United States can meet a 2010 deadline for ending shuttle flights, a top NASA official said.

Space agencies in Russia, Europe, Canada and Japan gave unanimous approval to a NASA plan that means the orbiting platform, now about half completed, will never become the beehive of scientific and commercial research once envisaged.

In exchange, NASA will continue with plans to launch research modules owned by its partners, some of them already built. Plans for International Space Station Cut Back (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=5760880 )