PDA

View Full Version : Why do cats eat venison?

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-21, 11:25 PM
Because rabbits don't come in cans!

Perhaps I'll let you guys ponder that a while before I explain.

Ara Pacis
2011-Dec-21, 11:30 PM
Lots of animals we think of as predators are also scavengers.

swampyankee
2011-Dec-21, 11:40 PM
Lots of animals we think of as predators are also scavengers.

I'd amend that to "almost all warm-blooded predators will scavenge": it's very low-risk food, since it won't fight back.

Buttercup
2011-Dec-21, 11:47 PM
Wouldn't know.

My cat only eats Dobermans and Pitbulls. :D

Strange
2011-Dec-21, 11:53 PM
Because it's there.

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-22, 12:01 AM
Ok, I really wanted to let this stew longer but can't hold myself back.

One of our cats has just been diagnosed with some sort of autoimmune disorder that causes dry pads on the feet. The vet wants her to have a special food, exclusively. When I went to pick it up she brought out a bag of food made from rabbit meat. Then she asked if they ever get canned food. I said yes, they're accustomed to getting a very small helping of canned treat every evening. She said hmm, the rabbit cat food doesn't come in cans, took it back and came out with venison cat food, both dry and canned.

If I'd not seen it, it would never have occurred to me that there was such a thing as cat food made from rabbits or venison. Or that I would ever need to buy it!

Sixty bucks, by the way, for a four-pound bag and four cans. On top of over $1000 for the biopsy to determine the problem! Ouch! Good thing we love the little darling.

Buttercup
2011-Dec-22, 12:05 AM
Sixty bucks, by the way, for a four-pound bag and four cans. On top of over $1000 for the biopsy to determine the problem! Ouch! Good thing we love the little darling.

Yikes. :doh:

My cat sends purrs of sympathy to your cat. Hope s/he gets better soon!

Gillianren
2011-Dec-22, 02:03 AM
D will not share his Yule dinner of chicken but would send sympathies if he understood.

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-22, 02:24 AM
Yikes. :doh:

My cat sends purrs of sympathy to your cat. Hope s/he gets better soon!

She thanks you and your cat for your sympathy! And D as well! What's really frustrating about all this is that she appears to feel just fine -- eats, sleeps, plays, cuddles, and generally is normal in all respects except the dry pads. We're sorry we mentioned them to the vet.

Her name, by the way, is "Bunny". Probably just as well we didn't get the rabbit cat food!

Swift
2011-Dec-22, 02:27 AM
Oh deer! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I hope this works and the cat gets better. You're a good kitty parent Trebuchet.

Solfe
2011-Dec-22, 03:53 AM
Wouldn't the more important question be "How did cats domesticate mankind to create medical schools and pliant owners who would seek to obtain canned rabbits and deer for them"? I thought cats were lazy, the truth appears to be they aren't sleeping, they are scheming. :)

Jens
2011-Dec-22, 04:00 AM
I'd amend that to "almost all warm-blooded predators will scavenge": it's very low-risk food, since it won't fight back.

You obviously haven't seen many zombie movies if you still believe that.

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-22, 05:29 AM
Wouldn't the more important question be "How did cats domesticate mankind to create medical schools and pliant owners who would seek to obtain canned rabbits and deer for them"? I thought cats were lazy, the truth appears to be they aren't sleeping, they are scheming. :)

I'm not feeling very pliant right now -- my left leg is numb so I can barely walk. Because I was lying in an awkward position with the cat on me!

ggremlin
2011-Dec-22, 05:47 AM
Sounds like you paid deerly.
Did the doctor explain why rabbit or venison? Was it the processed meat (you don't want to know the source) that was causing the problem?

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-22, 06:05 AM
Sounds like it costs even more than the vegan cat food someone I know buys.

And before the kneejerk responses, that cat's doing quite well, it's properly made specifically for cats so there's nothing missing nutritionally (which is why it's really expensive), it's not like she's feeding soy milk to kittens (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20000731) (or babies).

novaderrik
2011-Dec-22, 08:27 AM
i thought i was pampering my two cats when i'd splurge for a $30 bag of Iams cat food every month instead of the $7 bag of the same size.. that was their main source of nutrition, with the occasional empty tuna can if i happened to make myself some tuna sandwiches..

Perikles
2011-Dec-22, 10:11 AM
Sounds like it costs even more than the vegan cat food someone I know buys.How would you describe the mental state of someone who does that? I'm just curious. Oh - and how do they supply vitamin B12?

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-22, 12:28 PM
How would you describe the mental state of someone who does that? I'm just curious. Oh - and how do they supply vitamin B12?
It's someone who made a moral choice and is willing to follow through on it regardless of cost.

As for B12, there are several yeasts that produce it, it's not impossible to source for a vegan.

MAPNUT
2011-Dec-22, 03:55 PM
I wonder if the canned venison is made from road kill.

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-22, 03:57 PM
Sounds like you paid deerly.
Did the doctor explain why rabbit or venison? Was it the processed meat (you don't want to know the source) that was causing the problem?

It seems to be an allergic type of thing -- she's trying to get a total change in diet and have only a single meat source and veg source. The food is actually venison and green peas! I need to send her an e-mail and get the name of the diagnosis -- she told us on the phone but we were in a rush when I picked up the food and I forgot to right it down.

ToSeek
2011-Dec-22, 04:49 PM
She said hmm, the rabbit cat food doesn't come in cans, took it back and came out with venison cat food, both dry and canned.

I've seen rabbit cat food in England but never in the US.

Fazor
2011-Dec-22, 05:29 PM
I've seen rabbit cat food in England but never in the US.

What's a rabbit cat?

Swift
2011-Dec-22, 05:48 PM
What's a rabbit cat?
Rabbit cat (http://www.flixya.com/files-photo/a/t/e/ateam1877382.jpg)

Fazor
2011-Dec-22, 05:57 PM
Touché (http://bit.ly/uElAwh)

Buttercup
2011-Dec-22, 06:01 PM
Slightly off topic:

My cat knows all the words to The Meow Mix song. :)

Jim
2011-Dec-22, 06:05 PM
Our latest addition, Ringo, gets some canned food daily. One of the varieties he especially likes is venison. (Five ounces for 75 cents. He gets 1/3 of a can each day.)

And, since we're discussing rabbits and deer...

Isaac Asimov was scheduled to speak at an event in Washington, DC, one day. Since he never, ever flew, he drove down from New York City. During the drive down, he stopped at a restaurant for lunch. Rabbit stew was on the menu so he tried it. It was very good.

After giving his talk in DC, he drove back to NYC. He stopped at the same restaurant for dinner. This time he tried the venison steak, also very good.

The next day he was describing his trip and the two meals to his wife and daughter. His daughter looked at him aghast.

"Daddy," she asked reproachfully, "do you to tell me that in one day you ate Thumper and Bambi?"

Fazor
2011-Dec-22, 06:09 PM
"Daddy," she asked reproachfully, "do you to tell me that in one day you ate Thumper and Bambi?"

Me? I would have replied. "Don't worry. It was the Easter Bunny and Rudolph!" Then again, I'm sorta a jerk.

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-22, 07:15 PM
Yeah, we've been making a lot of Rudolph and Bambi jokes! Also about the deer we get hanging around our garden...

Here's a LINK (http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-dd-feline-skin-support-venison-and-green-pea-formula-dry.html) to the manufacturer's page on the vension food. Also comes in rabbit, as previously mentioned, and duck!

Swift
2011-Dec-22, 07:18 PM
Also comes in rabbit, as previously mentioned, and duck!
Rabbit season, duck season (http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/092/3/6/duck_season__rabbit_season_by_aiyana14-d3d0gz2.png)

Buttercup
2011-Dec-22, 07:30 PM
Rabbit season, duck season (http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/092/3/6/duck_season__rabbit_season_by_aiyana14-d3d0gz2.png)

...invariably followed by a {BLAM!}

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-22, 08:26 PM

My first thought was "Awww". Then I looked at the cat's face. It feels like Ralphie in the bunny suit in A Christmas Story. Whoever put that on it better watch their back!

Jim
2011-Dec-22, 08:36 PM
... Also comes in rabbit, as previously mentioned, and duck!

Ringo's second favorite is the duck. I wonder why they don't have rabbit in cans? (I know I will regret that question.)

swampyankee
2011-Dec-22, 08:41 PM
Ringo's second favorite is the duck. I wonder why they don't have rabbit in cans? (I know I will regret that question.)

No regrets, but they do seem to have it: http://www.natureslogic.com/products/cp_can_ra.html

btw, my dog likes ahi tuna and fresh (not canned ;)) salmon. Since I used to work with somebody who worked in a fishery that supplied salmon for canning, I would suggest that shows I've got a fussy dog. ;)

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-22, 08:51 PM
No regrets, but they do seem to have it: http://www.natureslogic.com/products/cp_can_ra.html

That's a different brand, probably our vet doesn't carry it. Hill's doesn't show canned rabbit on their pages.

redshifter
2011-Dec-22, 09:56 PM
It's someone who made a moral choice and is willing to follow through on it regardless of cost.

As for B12, there are several yeasts that produce it, it's not impossible to source for a vegan.

What about Taurine? I seem to remember reading that particular amino acid is essential to a cat's health and only found in animal products.

swampyankee
2011-Dec-23, 12:14 AM
What about Taurine? I seem to remember reading that particular amino acid is essential to a cat's health and only found in animal products.

Check http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061114143044AAwflxA
and
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2352336

redshifter
2011-Dec-23, 12:25 AM
Check http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061114143044AAwflxA
and
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2352336

Thanks but that doesn't really answer my question. It was more how does Taurine get added to the 'vegan cat food' previously mentioned to make it healthy for cats? Seems a bit odd to me to give vegan food to animals that are evolved as carnivores aka NOT vegan...

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-23, 01:23 AM
...Seems a bit odd to me to give vegan food to animals that are evolved as carnivores aka NOT vegan...

Never underestimate the capacity for silly thinking among the human species.

Ara Pacis
2011-Dec-23, 06:00 AM
No one has yet mentioned "cabbits"?

Perikles
2011-Dec-23, 09:04 AM
Seems a bit odd to me to give vegan food to animals that are evolved as carnivores aka NOT vegan...Odd is not the word. And how does the owner stop the cat eating mice, or killing birds? Do they give it lectures in morality, or just keep it indoors all the time?

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-23, 09:46 AM
Indoors. It's in the inner city, letting it out would mean it would be dead in hours.

ggremlin
2011-Dec-23, 11:56 AM
Never underestimate the capacity for silly thinking among the human species.

Several fortunes have been made by following that line of thinking, the entire pet food industry for one thing.:whistle:

Solfe
2011-Dec-23, 12:03 PM
Several fortunes have been made by following that line of thinking, the entire pet food industry for one thing.:whistle:

I heard some place that cats like Cheeseburgers. :)

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-23, 03:25 PM
Our cats are obviously not vegan, but we do keep them indoors. It's safer for them and keeps the vet bills down -- when we had outdoor cats we'd have at least one abscess a year, generally due to infected bites from their prey. Cats seem to develop abscesses pretty easily. We also had one hit by a car one time (survived, with road rash) and a variety of other injuries. Staying in also helps protect them from disease and parasites. And, of course, indoor cats don't leave "presents" on the doorstep for us!

Cougar
2011-Dec-23, 04:14 PM
Thanks but that doesn't really answer my question. It was more how does Taurine get added to the 'vegan cat food' previously mentioned to make it healthy for cats? Seems a bit odd to me to give vegan food to animals that are evolved as carnivores aka NOT vegan...

Huh. A fairly respectable cat person told me cats were omnivores since they'll eat the stomach contents of their prey, which is often vegetable matter. But I now find that you are right - they're pretty much pure carnivores. Wiki has quite an article on The Cat. They even mention vegan cat food:

Despite the cat's meat-oriented physiology, several vegetarian or vegan cat foods have been marketed that are supplemented with chemically synthesized taurine and other nutrients...

ToSeek
2011-Dec-23, 04:16 PM
Seems a bit odd to me to give vegan food to animals that are evolved as carnivores aka NOT vegan...

My wife is pretty much a vegan but sees no reason to foist her lifestyle choice off on our cats (or me, thank goodness).

Gillianren
2011-Dec-23, 09:08 PM
Personally, I don't think it's fair to the cat. Now, I don't think it's fair to D that he's an indoor kitty, and that's an unfairness we're just going to have to come to terms with. (Me better than him; I know why and he doesn't.) My preference, when we get a house, is indoor-outdoor cats, which is what we had when I was growing up. But my landlord's preference is to keep the complex grounds safe for ducks and rabbits and things. And D really believes he can take out the heron which visited our pond in the summer . . . .

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-24, 12:40 AM
Personally, I don't think it's fair to the cat. Now, I don't think it's fair to D that he's an indoor kitty, and that's an unfairness we're just going to have to come to terms with. (Me better than him; I know why and he doesn't.) My preference, when we get a house, is indoor-outdoor cats, which is what we had when I was growing up. But my landlord's preference is to keep the complex grounds safe for ducks and rabbits and things. And D really believes he can take out the heron which visited our pond in the summer . . . .

Kitties tend to think that way -- which could be bad for the kitty! Those things have a wicked sharp bill -- I've seen them spear fish with it. I do NOT think it's unfair to keep a cat indoors. Ours have never been out, and won't even try when the door is open. Better for us, better for them. Likewise, I don't consider it unfair to have deprived them of the testes and/or ovaries. They're more comfortable without them. And the species will continue just fine.

Gillianren
2011-Dec-24, 12:56 AM
Depriving D of reproductive capabilities hasn't hampered him, especially inasmuch as we've done so on a practical level most of his life anyway--he hasn't shared living space with a female cat since he was about a year old, if that. However, he likes climbing trees. He likes sneaking through bushes. He got out for about a month a few years ago (the bedroom screen was broken in August, and I told the management that, while I could keep the window closed until they fixed the screen, I would not; this was the August in which you actually made it to faire), and he wouldn't come in because he was afraid I would trap him in the apartment again. He's a hunter; he's caught mice and I'm pretty sure birds. I wish he had more space to roam in, though he's quite a middle-aged kitty now and not as adventuresome anymore.

swampyankee
2011-Dec-24, 03:19 PM

With dogs, we're family. With cats, we're staff.

Van Rijn
2011-Dec-24, 08:27 PM
With dogs, we're family. With cats, we're staff.

You haven't met my cat. This is a cat that shows excitement and happiness to be around people, understands "no" and comes when you call.

Gillianren
2011-Dec-24, 08:58 PM
D doesn't reliably answer to the commands I've taught him, but I think that's partially because he's kind of stupid. But he does answer to commands sometimes, and it's definitely true that he missed Graham while Graham was overseas.

swampyankee
2011-Dec-24, 09:22 PM
You haven't met my cat. This is a cat that shows excitement and happiness to be around people, understands "no" and comes when you call.

Obviously, your cat flunked Imperiousness in Cat School. I think my previous dog went to Cat School: he was really, really good at finding comfy spots in which to lounge. And he chased birds.