PDA

View Full Version : Spherical Object Drops from the Sky in Namibia

Fraser
2011-Dec-22, 06:50 PM
Officials from Namibia have been examining a hollow ball that fell from the sky back in November 2011. So far, they havenít had much luck identifying it, so have called in NASA and ESA, hoping the space agencies can provide some answers. The spherical object has a circumference of 1.1 meters (43 inches) and was [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/92061/spherical-object-drops-from-the-sky-in-namibia/)

Swift
2011-Dec-22, 07:15 PM
Why am I thinking of the movie "The Gods Must be Crazy"? ;)

swampyankee
2011-Dec-22, 08:57 PM
Why am I thinking of the movie "The Gods Must be Crazy"? ;)

No idea whatsoever.

I dislike the line from the UT story '''metal alloy known to man' (so cross alien spacecraft part off the list)." There are gazillions of alloys known to man, so crossing ET off the list because it's an alloy of aluminum, zinc, and copper seems a bit premature. Why wouldn't ET come up with aluminum 7075? While I consider the likelihood of it being from ET to be vanishingly small, metallurgy is going to be working with the same elements and element properties everywhere, so it certainly doesn't beggar the limits of credibility that ET would use alloys known to humanity. Conversely, had they said "no metal alloy known to man," I'd just take that as proof that their reference books aren't complete: they're really saying "no alloy known to us."

I'd consider isotope ratios or fastener design more convincing: if it's bolted together with left-handed fasteners using bolts with septagonal heads, that would be really weird.

Note: I used aluminum 7075 as an example, not based on any definitive information

A.DIM
2011-Dec-23, 01:49 PM
So what, and whose, is it?

Cougar
2011-Dec-23, 02:21 PM
So what, and whose, is it?

It sure looks like a Composite Pressure Vessel from a human spacecraft.

Scriitor
2011-Dec-23, 02:28 PM
From the article:

"a giant metallic ball, 1.1 metre in diameter and weighing some 6 kilograms"

And then,

"The spherical object has a circumference of 1.1 meters"

So which is it? It's really hard to get a sense of scale from the photo, but it doesn't look so big to me.

Chew
2011-Dec-24, 11:44 PM
A 3.8 meter diameter crater? From this small ball? I don't think so.

The reported depth of the crater, 33 cm, does not fit the normal ratio of impact crater diameter to depth.