PDA

View Full Version : What is the strangest payment in kind you've gotten for doing something?

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-25, 08:09 PM
I expect we have a lot of members with jobs where their skills are also useful outside of work. Payment in kind seems to be common for such extra-curricular work and after getting a somewhat unusual offer myself I started being curious if others got stories to tell too.

Being a IT consultant I have a variety of skills, one of which is programming, with website back-end programming as a sub-skill.
My strange in-kind offer was for a years membership and free entrance to a swingers club in exchange for adding functionality to their website.
I'll admit it's not really strange to get something for free in exchange for making the website for that something, but it's a rather unusual thing to get free entrance for.

Solfe
2011-Dec-26, 05:25 AM
I was just paid $100 and about 5 lbs of cookies for removing a very messy virus, tuned up several computers, set up a wifi network, setting up an iPod and Kindle.

I accepted the cookies, but when I tried to decline the cash, the client gave it to my kids. Neighbourhood clients can be a pain in the butt.

SoulSurfer32
2011-Dec-26, 10:36 PM
Once had a friend give me a boston terrier puppy for putting a clutch in his car. I didnt really want the dog but took it anyway. The kids fell in love with the damn thing just in time for it to run off and get hit by a car. Thats why I hate pets lol.

John Mendenhall
2011-Dec-27, 05:26 PM
A flea market vendor once offered to trade the merchandise I was looking at for the untouched takeout breakfast I was carrying. A quick mental calculation said 'Good deal!' I swapped for the merchandise and went for another breakfast.

Fazor
2011-Dec-27, 05:43 PM
This wasn't offered to *me*, but I was standing right there when it all "went down." When I was 15 I worked at a local grocery store as a bag-boy. This particular store required us to not only bag customer's groceries, but also carry them out to their car and help them load the stuff. It wasn't uncommon for people to give us tips.

One day, I was on the way in from the parking lot as a buddy of mine was finishing loading stuff into a guy's SUV. I stopped to help with the last couple bags (mostly so me and my friend could talk on the way back inside), and as we finished up, the guy started rummaging through his pockets looking for a tip. He came up empty and told my friend "Oh man! I'm really sorry, I thought I had some cash for you." to which my friend replied "Oh, it's okay! Don't worry about it." After the "I'll make sure to get you next time, bro" the two of us turned and started heading back inside.

We had only taken a few steps when we heard a "riiiiiiiip!" followed by a "Hey man, take this!" We turned around and the guy tossed my buddy a beer can he had just pulled from the 24 pack we had loaded into the trunk. My buddy caught it and tossed it back saying "Sorry, I can't accept this. I'd be fired." and the guy said "Oh, okay. Then have a great day!"

Trying to give a 15 year old a beer as a tip, while said minor is *at* work. Dunno how he thought that'd be a good idea. Made for a funny story though.

grapes
2011-Dec-27, 06:33 PM
I knew I'd talked about this before:
I was a cab driver in Laramie in the early 1970s. A guy was traveling across country to start a new job in California, and his car broke down. He called for a cab many times during the day, and I ran a tab--he was trying to get his car fixed, then get airline tickets when that proved to take too long, then he needed to get an airline carrier for his poodle. At the end of the day, on the way to the airport, he offered his car keys, and promised to send the title. What can you do? Arrest him?

A couple weeks later, I got the title in the mail. And the car had 15 bucks under the seats, and a trunk full of tools. And a few other things.

Nicolas
2011-Dec-29, 01:36 PM
Let's see...
-2 computer games
-an upright piano
-a Yamaha motorcycle (btw it has a very very low serial number, less than 400. Does that mean anything or did Yamaha start back at 1 often?)
-a vintage Carrera slot racing track at a flea market, for free "if it's not sold at 11 and you're still here by then".
-old audio equipment

With my brothers, we often do "work for work". I help in his house, in return he helps in mine.

Gillianren
2011-Dec-29, 07:53 PM
I get paid in barter at ren faire every year--he pays my site fee and feeds me, plus I get to take whatever I want off the walls and either add it to my own jewelry collection, give it as gifts, or barter it away for other things from other booths.

redshifter
2011-Dec-29, 09:42 PM
I was offered a bottle of wine as a tip one time back when I worked as a shuttle driver taking folks to and from the airport. I declined though; one because I don't drink, and two because the person who offered it to me was moving here with her kids - from Australia. She needed the wine a lot more than I did...

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-30, 01:34 AM
I can't think of anything interesting, but I'm compelled to ask Henrik, or perhaps I should say beg of him: Please tell me you did not accept that offer!

jokergirl
2011-Dec-30, 10:12 PM
The phone I'm posting this from.

And once, a plate of homemade Baklava in addition to cash. Yum!

;)

closetgeek
2011-Dec-31, 03:03 PM
I know it sounds like I am ripping off a movie but I swear, I did get paid in meatballs, once. I was a kid and helping my mom shovel the side walk after a snow storm. She saw our 80+ year old neighbor out trying to shovel her front steps and told me to go over and help her. I did and she was reluctant at first, because she said she didn't have any money to pay me. After a few minutes of exchanging I said she would be doing us both a favor, my mom would never let me back in the house if I walked away because you couldn't pay me. She laughed and accepted my help. I went home and later on that evening, her son came by with a bowl full of Italian meatballs and sauce. They were awesome and worth way more than money.

TJMac
2012-Jan-01, 03:09 PM
A very good friend's mother has paid me with amazing fried chicken meals for the simple act of cleaning up her computer so it actually runs again. (and I am average at best, definitely not my field of expertise)

A few years ago, on a motorcycle forum, another member posted a drawing of an aluminum badge he wanted to put on his bike. He asked where he could go to find someone to make such a thing. What he wanted required a fair amount of CNC milling work, and programming. For no particular reason, I found a piece of scrap aluminum in the shop and made the part for him. I took a picture, and asked him via PM, if that's what he wanted. He was rather pleased. I sent him the part, and he offered me a bottle of absinthe. I declined.

About a week later, a box shows up with two knives inside. One is a make-from-a-kit style switchblade, and the other is a custom designed and made diver knife complete with sheath. I couldnt find that particular knife anywhere online, but the cheapest knife by that designer I could find was over $200. I now use it as a letter opener, it sits on my desk. :D

TJ

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jan-02, 10:38 AM
I can't think of anything interesting, but I'm compelled to ask Henrik, or perhaps I should say beg of him: Please tell me you did not accept that offer!
I was a member already, so it was a reasonable offer to accept.

I think PM's would probably be best for further discussion. :)

Stug III
2012-Jan-09, 08:23 PM
Three used car tyres. It was all they had and they insisted on giving me something. This is part of the joy of working in a country where no-one trusts the currency.

Other things I have been given over the years include a goat, several chickens, eggs, petrol, and a second hand umbrella.

Fortunately my salary for the day job is paid in hard currency outwith the country. :)

LaurelHS
2012-Jan-11, 12:36 AM
I don't know if it counts as payment in kind, but I volunteer at Ten Thousand Villages and last week I got to take home a lovely jewelry box for free because the lid has a small crack. I also got a free Christmas ornament because it had a barely noticeable defect. Sometimes we volunteers get free cups of tea or coffee also. :)

Torsten
2012-Jan-11, 02:09 AM
A contractor I'd hired to replant some logged areas in a remote coastal inlet had his crew staying on a boat while they did the job. A big storm blew through and they lost their anchor. I was flying in there regulary to do inspections, so after the storm I loaded up and delivered their new anchor. After the contract was done and paid for the contractor presented me with a Texas mickey (3 l) of Canadian whisky. I thought that was a very nice expression of gratitude.

Githyanki
2012-Jan-12, 06:00 AM
This post violates the Terms & Conditions of the forum.

BigDon
2012-Mar-10, 06:32 AM

Wow, how did I miss commenting on this subplot?

(And here I was going to natter on about trout flys and art deco lamps!)

Treb! Obviously Henrik belongs to a Dinner Club that includes ballroom dancing and specialty dinners.

Clam bakes and sausage fests. That sort of thing. (As such thing go I'm strickly a sea food kind of guy, myself.)

(Yeah, I'm drinking. It will probably gets worse before the evenings over. No LAN warfare group tonight.)

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-10, 08:03 AM
It's currently undergoing renegotiation due to the classical conflict between people who don't know how much time things take to do and the people who do the work, when combined with a verbal contract.

And no, no hidden meanings in that, I mailed the owner a draft for a written contract for the rest of work this morning.

Solfe
2012-Mar-10, 12:46 PM
My wife's hairdresser doesn't have a website and my wife suggested that I could make one for her. Since that proposal, her hairdresser hasn't charged my wife.

Since this has been going on for months, I have a feeling that I will be doing website/blog for free in return for my wife's hair care. Now that is weird.

BigDon
2012-Mar-10, 02:55 PM
Solfe,

Do warn the guy that if he puts that strong smelling perm solution in your wife's hair you'll turn his webpage into a hockey site. :)

(The few times my ex permed her hair I had to sleep on the sofa for two nights each time until the perm smell went away.)

Solfe
2012-Mar-10, 05:30 PM
I don't think my wife would like a perm, she too wild.

Yesterday she came home with red hair and a purple streak.

She asked me what I thought and I thought that "that shade of red hair dye causes impulse control problems" but I said something a little more "correct".

publiusr
2012-Mar-10, 06:29 PM
I seem to remember the lady running for office who half suggested barter of chickens for health care payment--brought to you by the same folks who came up with the line "something called volcano monitoring."

Kaptain K
2012-Mar-10, 07:16 PM
Back in the 70s, I traded a Gibson C1s classical guitar for a quarter Lb of pot.

Romanus
2012-Mar-10, 08:44 PM
A homeless man recently offered to draw my picture in return for food, saying in so many words that no one would trust him if he just asked for money. Though I did not accept, I was in fact touched.

RAF_Blackace
2012-Mar-12, 11:27 PM
For building a cess pit for an Indian farmer living near Madras, I was offered his daughters hand in marriage as payment in kind. We have now been happily married for 17 years and have three children.

The cess pit is still doing its job.

:)

DoggerDan
2012-Mar-13, 11:08 AM
For building a cess pit for an Indian farmer living near Madras, I was offered his daughters hand in marriage as payment in kind. We have now been happily married for 17 years and have three children.

The cess pit is still doing its job.

:)

If your avatar's pic is your wife, might she have some sisters? I'd be happy to dig a cesspool for such a face.

DoggerDan
2012-Mar-13, 11:09 AM
A homeless man recently offered to draw my picture in return for food, saying in so many words that no one would trust him if he just asked for money. Though I did not accept, I was in fact touched.

Tomorrow, accept. Pay him for two days. He requires food, not "touched" to stay alive.

Solfe
2012-Mar-13, 12:06 PM
You should bring him an sketchpad too.

Tog
2012-Mar-13, 12:21 PM
A guy I worked with at the grocery store was also a massage therapist. He was also a little (relative to Neptune) on the woo side. he thought the reason I had so many minor, but utterly ridiculous accidents every day had to do with my chakras being out of line. He offered to do "energy work" on me to fix the issue. In exchange, I taught him the basics of the bo (Japanese staff).

At work, at the hotel, we get a few undesirables. I'm very good about spotting them for what they are when they come in, but I can't go out of my way to deny them a room. The most I can do is very strictly enforce our policies, then sit back and wait for the TV to come up missing.

One of these fine citizens offered me a girl as a tip. I have no doubt he could have arranged it, but umm... No. For reasons that I think are funny, but not BAUT friendly, no.

crosscountry
2012-Mar-13, 04:41 PM
Last year I traded a motorcycle for a new fence and $1000. I was happy to be rid of the motorcycle which was taking up space in my garage since I wasn't riding it. The fence is a good one, and I used the money to help pay for a classic truck (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129479-Old-Vehicles-classic-cars?p=1997888#post1997888).

For family and friends I've done plenty of work for food or beer. Once a guy bought me tools if I'd do plumbing for him. That worked out well for both of us.

Gillianren
2012-Mar-13, 07:16 PM
In 1996, I traded all my Magic cards for three X-Files comic books, the soundtrack CDs to Phantom of the Opera, and $20 cash. Both parties were happy, though I've no doubt some of those cards would be worth a lot more now.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Aug-26, 10:04 PM
Wow, how did I miss commenting on this subplot?

(And here I was going to natter on about trout flys and art deco lamps!)

Treb! Obviously Henrik belongs to a Dinner Club that includes ballroom dancing and specialty dinners.

Clam bakes and sausage fests. That sort of thing. (As such thing go I'm strickly a sea food kind of guy, myself.)
Regardless of the apology for possibly offending me with this which wasn't needed, the evaluation is close enough to be quite funny since I've now ended up co-owner of the club.

Solfe
2012-Aug-26, 10:42 PM
Regardless of the apology for possibly offending me with this which wasn't needed, the evaluation is close enough to be quite funny since I've now ended up co-owner of the club.

Co-owner? That sounds like more work than payment. :)

HenrikOlsen
2012-Aug-27, 06:36 PM
Co-owner? That sounds like more work than payment. :)
It is, but what can I say, I like the place and the previous owner was really inexperienced with running a business so it took too long before he understood such fundamental concepts as "receipts: keep them" and "accounts: do them" so I ended up taking over.

Charlie in Dayton
2012-Aug-27, 09:18 PM
A fellow ham radio operator and I were cussin' and discussin' things one day, and both of us being of the Tim Taylor machine shop tool geek species, we were exclaiming over the blueprints of a piece of gear. Larry seemed exxxxxxxxtremely interested.
About two weeks later, he presented me with an unusual version of a Morse Code key, made from those blueprints. That was 20+ years ago, and I still use it.
What was it in return for? He said I'd done him a great favor...darned if I can remember what it was...but every time that key rings out over the air,
I'm reminded that you don't have to remember what you've done to be regarded as one of the good guys.

DoggerDan
2012-Aug-29, 04:14 AM
I helped a carpenter friend of mine lift a set of cabinets onto his truck one day when his assistant was ill.

He gave me a set of four cabinet hinges in return.