PDA

View Full Version : Sibrel's at it again, on Google

The Bad Astronomer
2002-May-14, 04:11 PM
Hey folks-- a friend of mine just let me know that whenever you do a Google search using the word "NASA" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&q=nasa), a sponsored link to Bart Sibrel's torrid little documentary page comes up on the right hand side of the results page. I guess he's made enough cash to sponsor a link on Google.

Does anyone have any constructive comments? I'd love to do something about this, but I am not sure what. Of course, he has the right to do this, but it leaves me feeling icky.

LunarOrbit
2002-May-14, 04:15 PM
Can we sponser an ad to go above his that says "Ignore the ad below this one"?

SpacedOut
2002-May-14, 04:20 PM
What I'd like to know is how he got the "Interest" bar full./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

jrkeller
2002-May-14, 04:21 PM
I had seen this before, but it popped up when I typed in moon hoax.

Roy Batty
2002-May-14, 04:23 PM
I just tried it but none of the 3 Ad links were his..?
Heres how Google work it anyway:
https://adwords.google.com/select/main?cmd=Login&sourceid=promo&subid=rp

JayUtah
2002-May-14, 04:29 PM
I imagine he got the "Interest" bar full by the obvious means. The counter just registers how many times the link was followed versus how may times it was presented. Someone who writes favorable "user reviews" on Amazon for his own video ought to have no problem spoofing that.

So let's all chip in $5 and get Bad Astronomy up there as a sponsored link.

LunarOrbit
2002-May-14, 05:33 PM
Maybe we should click his ad as many times as possible.

He has to pay Google whenever someone clicks his ad, so even though it would look like there is a lot of interest in his movie no one would actually be buying it. He would be paying a lot of money to Google but wouldn't be making any to compensate.

amstrad
2002-May-14, 06:30 PM
On 2002-05-14 13:33, LunarOrbit wrote:
Maybe we should click his ad as many times as possible.

He has to pay Google whenever someone clicks his ad, so even though it would look like there is a lot of interest in his movie no one would actually be buying it. He would be paying a lot of money to Google but wouldn't be making any to compensate.

nice try, but Google are smarter than that:

From their Adwords FAQ: What prevents users from repeatedly clicking on my ad? (https://adwords.google.com/select/faq.html#other4)

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think there is anything we can do about this. After all, the keyword "NASA" is relevant to his site's content. However I think we should at least try to petition Google to get him to change the misleading and outright false Ad text from:

NASA Faked Moon Landing
Video proof of Apollo 11 hoax.
New evidence & faked photos found!

with a keyword of NASA
to:

Did NASA Fake the Moon Landing?
Possible video proof of Apollo 11 hoax.
New evidence & suspect photos found!

with a keyword of "NASA AND Hoax" or "NASA AND fake", etc. to limit this ad being displayed on searches of purely "NASA"

...although I don't think they will do it. This kind of censorship goes against the normal Google policies of unrestricted information.

JayUtah
2002-May-14, 08:13 PM
The cure for bad speech is generally more speech. We don't need to concentrate on squelching Sibrel. We need to concentrate on providing a better alternative.

ktesibios
2002-May-15, 06:19 AM
Umm... since Sibrel's ad is "moon hoax"-specific, perhaps a sponsored link to Clavius might be more to the point.

If anyone wants to get a drive together to buy an ad for an Apollo truth site which would pop up along with Sibrel's, I'll definitely chip in.

Just post the details on the BABB.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ktesibios on 2002-05-15 02:20 ]</font>

Jim
2002-May-15, 04:25 PM
On 2002-05-15 02:19, ktesibios wrote:
Umm... since Sibrel's ad is "moon hoax"-specific, perhaps a sponsored link to Clavius might be more to the point.

If anyone wants to get a drive together to buy an ad for an Apollo truth site which would pop up along with Sibrel's, I'll definitely chip in.

Just post the details on the BABB.

Good idea! But let's add "Bart Sibrel" to the Clavius keywords.

Jigsaw
2002-May-16, 03:28 AM
I must have a really warped mind. I wondered what else you could put into Google and get paid ads for conspiracy theorists, and lo and behold, when you type in "conspiracy" you get not only Sibrel's moonmoviedotcom but also grandconspiracydotcom, whose "interest" bar, BTW, is about equal to Sibrel's.

I love the Internet. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

2002-May-16, 12:49 PM
<a name="20020516.4:44"> page 20020516.4:44 aka Hu?
On 2002-05-14 12:23, Roy Batty wrote: To: HUb'
I just tried it but none of the 3 Ad links were his..?
Heres how Google work it anyway:
https://adwords.google.com/select/main?cmd=Login&sourceid=promo&subid=rp

Alert!: This client does not contain support for HTTPS URLs.
http://www.promenadeshop.com
telnet://bbs.neverending.com/
telnet://bbs.msgcentral.net ... no i don't get it IF its really funny upload to msgcentral [ that by the way i can't access from here eithor]

odysseus0101
2002-May-16, 03:32 PM
On 2002-05-14 12:29, JayUtah wrote:
So let's all chip in $5 and get Bad Astronomy up there as a sponsored link.

That's a really good idea. I'm in - just tell me where to send my check.