PDA

View Full Version : Four Galilean Satellites Bunched Near Jupiter Dec 27

Centaur
2011-Dec-27, 10:26 AM
All four Galilean Satellites will appear to be bunched together near Jupiter during the evening of 2011 DEC 27. This will include transits and shadow transits by #2 Europa and #3 Ganymede, while #1 Io becomes eclipsed and occulted. During these events #4 Callisto will appear to pass south of Jupiter.

Ive calculated a timetable and created a couple of preview graphics. They can be seen at www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter . Photos and descriptions of the events would be welcome additions to this thread.

ngc3314
2011-Dec-28, 05:54 AM
Here's a quick look, a series of images from the UA campus observatory's 0.4m reflector. These are stacks of typically 40-70
1/100-second exposures with an Orion StarShoot II, of 150-250 taken for each set. Stacking was done "on the fly" between the sequences, with Maxim Essentials. These are at 15-minute intervals from 0200-0430 UTR, with an extra at the top of the last column at 0352 when shadows of Ganymede and Europa are just at opposite limbs. South is up just to skip an extra display step.

Campus Facilities is adamant that I can't have the code to shut down the big air handlers on top of the building. I have to get to shutter speeds of a few milliseconds to freeze the full vibration spectrum, even though the builders made a fair effort at isolating the telescope mechanically. Still, if we take a long enough image series, we can at least get significant resolution gains through selection and filtering.

Centaur
2011-Dec-29, 06:17 AM
Thanks for sharing your excellent photos, ngc3314. On the night of January 3-4 well get something similar with the added bonus of two shadows simultaneously on Jupiter. Ill initiate a new thread next week, but my timetable and preview graphics are already on my website: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter