PDA

View Full Version : Proper name coincidences

Buttercup
2011-Dec-29, 10:08 PM
Around 12 years ago we moved to a large city approximately 250 miles north (didn't work out; we returned to this city/home 6 months later). Anyway, while looking for a home there, we noticed a cute and cozy house on Britt street.

A helpful neighbor lady came over, introduced herself. Her name was Roberta.

Britt is the name of my hometown and Roberta is the name of my best friend there!

That was cool.

You?

swampyankee
2011-Dec-31, 03:22 AM
There once was an actor with the same given and family name as my father. The were not closely related; the actor was African-American and my father was not. There are at least two young women with the same given and family names as my daughter who are also student at the school she attends.

My surname is not "Smith" or "Jones." The US Census claims there are about 35000 people in the US who share my surname, but I still get surprised by matches.

Jim
2011-Dec-31, 03:49 AM
My father once worked with a man who had the same first name as my father. The man's wife's first name was the same as my mother's (unused) first name. Their son's first name was the same as my (unused) first name.

ETA:

Our daughter has a cousin, Emily Claire. She also has two friends, sisters, Emily and Claire.

Gillianren
2011-Dec-31, 04:43 AM
Graham's father and mine were both named James. My dad's sister's son named his son Dyllan; my mother's maiden name is Dillon. And I once knew a person whose grandmother had shared my first and middle names. It's always grandmothers or great-aunts, though, for my legal name.

Noclevername
2011-Dec-31, 05:22 AM
My youngest neice has the first/middle names Amelia Rose. We know of two other little girls in the area with this combination of names.

Gillianren
2011-Dec-31, 05:56 AM
My faire boss's daughter has my daughter's first name and my middle name.

closetgeek
2011-Dec-31, 02:55 PM
I have a very common first name but my last name is, as simple as it it, very uncommon. When I lived on Long Island, the only other people in the phone book with the same last name, were relatives. After moving to Florida, I once got a card in the mail from a family desperately looking for a woman, approximately the same age as me, with the same name but different middle initial, apparently living somewhere in St. Lucie County. The place where I bought my livingroom set has a customer that has the same name as me and lives in the same town, (now Palm Bay). About a week ago, I had a message on my answering machine from a woman looking for a neighbor she used to know, down in Palm Beach, who apparently also has the same name as me, but is approximately 30 years older.

Solfe
2011-Dec-31, 03:36 PM
My wife's nickname is Kitty. One of my co-worker's nickname is also Kitty.

One day my co-worker's ex came in to work cruising for an argument/fight. He was really angry about the break-up. I had the sense that he was about to punch someone out, so I was polite but firm when explaining that I could not give out any of Kitty's personal information like her work scheduled. He got a little calmer (no longer threatening people) and left.

About five minutes later, I realised I had been holding a coffee mug from my wife engraved with the words: "With all of my love, Kitty". No wonder he was so upset.

Buttercup
2011-Dec-31, 03:46 PM
My wife's nickname is Kitty. One of my co-worker's nickname is also Kitty...

About five minutes later, I realised I had been holding a coffee mug from my wife engraved with the words: "With all of my love, Kitty". No wonder he was so upset.

Yikes! :( That could have been very dangerous for you. I'm glad he didn't presume anything and punch you or something.

PetersCreek
2011-Dec-31, 05:32 PM
While out of town on business recently, I went out for drinks. During the course of the evening, I met several people, two of them being nice young ladies named Caitlin and Savannah... which are my new granddaughter's first and middle names.

The latter half of my USAF career was in health care administration, which included a stint in outpatient records. With more than 44,000 names on the shelves, there were more than a few coincidences. I called one set (the King family) the royal family...the father and sons, anyway. They were (in military fashion) King, Charles; King, James; and the legendary King, Arthur. One married couple had first names of Fred and Wilma. Two brothers were Michael and Andrew Jackson. We also had a John Wayne and Patty Duke. Another famous name belonged to a coworker: Robert E. Lee. As if that wasn't enough, he named his daughter Sarah.

Buttercup
2011-Dec-31, 05:35 PM
One married couple had first names of Fred and Wilma.

I can only imagine the razzing they got.

Jim
2011-Dec-31, 05:55 PM
Okay, not really a "name coincidence" but PetersCreek triggered my memory.

We had a family friend - a contemporary of my father - named BB Young. That's it, no other letters, no other names, no periods, just BB. When WWII started, he joined the Army.

Now, PetersCreek can confirm that the military does not care for anomalies.

"What's your name?"
"BB Young."
"No, your full name."
"BB Young."

Well, the clerk couldn't put that in the system, so he entered it as "B. B. Young." With big periods so they'd stand out.

But that wasn't good enough. And those periods were kinda big.

So, BB's military records refer to him as "Bo Bo Young."

(Now ask me about my friend, O. H.)

Buttercup
2011-Dec-31, 06:41 PM
Just now reading in a different thread reminded me of another:

In 1999 I checked out 2001: A Space Odyssey at local library. The novel of course (had already seen the film prior).

The librarian at the desk, who processed the checkout, was named Hal.

No kidding. :D

closetgeek
2011-Dec-31, 10:44 PM
Just now reading in a different thread reminded me of another:

In 1999 I checked out 2001: A Space Odyssey at local library. The novel of course (had already seen the film prior).

The librarian at the desk, who processed the checkout, was named Hal.

No kidding. :D

Did he ask you what you were doing?

swampyankee
2012-Jan-01, 12:42 AM
Did he ask you what you were doing?

He did tell her "I can't let you do that..."

vonmazur
2012-Jan-01, 01:18 AM
When I worked on the New Haven Line as a Tower Operator, there were three guys who worked with me, Eddie Davis, Eddie Russell and Russell Davis, I thought, one could make a triangle chart with the name on the sides and just pick out which of the three was working that day...I even posted a chart in one of the towers with the "Un-holy Trinity" of Tower Operators on it...most of the guys had never noticed this and thought it was somewhat funny...8 Hours shifts on the midnight trick were somewhat boring, so I often sat there and came up with such things...After the NYT crossword puzzle, there was not much else to do...

Dale

Gillianren
2012-Jan-01, 05:43 AM
This isn't a coincidence, because the teacher did choose who would be on the team, but it always struck me as funny that the people playing the prosecution witnesses for our team, when I was in mock trials in high school, were David Fox, David Hochenedel, David Vielmutter, and Candace Bryant. (I may be spelling that third David's last name wrong, but I don't want to go looking for my yearbook to be sure.) And I can't think of anyone else in my high school named David, so I guess Mr. Hsu ran out.

TJMac
2012-Jan-01, 03:31 PM
About 20 years ago, I was awakened by the police, and taken to the station for questioning. My mother was a believer in not giving ordinary names to her children, and I can honestly say I have not met another man with my name. Still, the police had been given my name as someone who bought a keg of beer for an underage party.

Luckily, I suppose, I had very good alibis for my whole day, and they let me go after about an hour. My neighbor was an officer on the force, and he came by the next day to say that the 'right' guy with my name had been arrested, and actually, looked enough like me that I may not have passed a lineup ID. :surprised

TJ

Cougar
2012-Jan-03, 03:11 AM
No coincidental name correspondences around here. I happen to live in the vicinity of....

...a funny old bunch, those latter day saints. Rather than picking names from their heritage, or the Bible, the Utah Mormons tend to make them up1. (http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/mormon/)

This is true! But now, you too can generate your own Mormon name! Be the first on your block! My new name came out as Ernold Dalewin. :p

grapes
2012-Jan-03, 06:17 AM
So, BB's military records refer to him as "Bo Bo Young."

(Now ask me about my friend, O. H.)Ronly Bonly Jones:
http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

elizabeth25
2012-Jan-03, 08:24 AM
My aunty's name is kate middlelton -- same as prince williams wife before marriage.

Also, for those of you who know the uk tv soap - Eastenders. and remember someone from there called David Wicks, my father's name is David Wicks too.

swampyankee
2012-Jan-03, 11:01 AM
My family is not, so far as I know, related to the lovely actress in the Chase Sapphire commercials, despite sharing the same, not-very-common, surname. At least she's never come to any of the family functions. 8-(

Buttercup
2012-Jan-03, 01:40 PM
When I worked on the New Haven Line as a Tower Operator, there were three guys who worked with me, Eddie Davis, Eddie Russell and Russell Davis...

Wow, talk about potentially very confusing! ;)

closetgeek, no Hal didn't say anything to me. Fortunately. Because otherwise I'd have dived behind the desk and found a way to shut him off. ;-p

LookingSkyward
2012-Jan-03, 02:27 PM
Once upon a time I was in a 3 section rotation with 2 people per shift: Mike & Mike, Dave & Dave, & Rick & Rick. Not really a conincidence as our boss had an odd sense of humor :>

swampyankee
2012-Jan-03, 02:37 PM
When I worked on the New Haven Line as a Tower Operator, there were three guys who worked with me, Eddie Davis, Eddie Russell and Russell Davis...

Dale

Three of my college frat brothers (two from my chapter, and the third from another) were all named "Bob." This is not surprising -- Robert is a common name -- but when they roomed together after graduation, they all took advantage of this to confuse, as much as possible, many phone callers.

DonM435
2012-Jan-03, 02:51 PM
At one point in my career, my boss, grandboss and great-grandboss were all named "James." However, they went by "Jimmy," "Jim" and "James" respectively, so I had little confusion.

Then they ran a "Lester" in there on me . . .

DonM435
2012-Jan-03, 02:57 PM
In Orlando FL, I drove past a small park. The sign said "PARK LAKE PARK," so I assumed that said park is in a community called Park Lake. Furthermore, I noted that said Park was just a bit of land surrounding a small body of water in its center. This must be the Park Lake Park Lake.

Or something like that. I should have looked for a parking lot within.

ToSeek
2012-Jan-03, 03:41 PM
I worked for a Goddard contractor for many year with a payroll administrator - whose name appeared on all the paychecks - called Anita Cheche. I'm not sure how it was actually pronounced, but we always referred to her as "I need a check."

Buttercup
2012-Jan-03, 04:40 PM
I worked for a Goddard contractor for many year with a payroll administrator - whose name appeared on all the paychecks - called Anita Cheche. I'm not sure how it was actually pronounced, but we always referred to her as "I need a check."

Lol!!

A doctor in a hospital I worked at was Dr. Dokter.

Nowhere Man
2012-Jan-03, 05:05 PM
A friend of me is named Steven King. He claims that he's the one that spells the name correctly. He once, back in the early days of e-mail, got into a message-discussion with a fanboy and finally took pity and admitted he wasn't the writer.

Fred (never use the F-surname at me!)

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-03, 06:23 PM
I had an acting teacher with the same name as a famous actor (although he wanted us to use a different first name for him), and he also organized a workshop for us with another famous actress of the same last name.

And; apparently no relation between all three.

Gillianren
2012-Jan-03, 07:20 PM
Another not-quite-coincidence--my first year at Evergreen, I was in a class taught by three professors the first quarter. (It's interdisciplinary studies, and you only take one class per quarter. Two or three professors is the norm.) I walked in one day, and on one board was written, "Tom's seminar group's papers due [time and date]." On the next board, "The Other Tom's seminar group papers due [time and date]." My response? "I'm glad I'm in Dave's seminar group!"

DonM435
2012-Jan-05, 02:06 PM
In the late 1950s and early 1960s baseball, there were two National League catchers named "Hal Smith," one with the Pittsburgh Pirates and the other with the St. Louis Cardinals.

One Hal Smith hit a memorable home run in the seventh game of the 1960 World Series, one that set the stage for the even more memorable Bill Mazeroski homer that won the Series.

Once This Hal Smith had retired, the Other Hal Smith (the one from the Cardinals) stayed around as a coach, eventually joining Pittsburgh's staff.

Naturally, most of the people at the Pirates' games didn't catch the difference, and would naturally say "Wow! There's Hal Smith! You remember that homer he hit back in '60? Hey, Smith, way to go! What a hero!" and so on.

And of course, the Wrong Hal Smith had to disavow credit when someone tried to attribute it to him.

nosbig5
2012-Jan-05, 08:45 PM
My grandmother used to carry a picture in her wallet that she had cut out of a catalog. It was an advertisement for denim wallets onto which you could have your name embroidered. There were 5 wallets in the picture. They were stitched with the first names of my grandmother and her four daughters : Ruth, Jean, Carol, Patricia, Nancy

Ivan Viehoff
2012-Jan-06, 11:23 AM
We used to frequently collaborate with an engineering consultancy called Scott Wilson http://swkeurope.com/. About the time that came to an end, we employed a man called Scott Wilson.

CJSF
2012-Jan-06, 01:05 PM
Lol!!

A doctor in a hospital I worked at was Dr. Dokter.

We have a urogynecologist in town named Dr. Zipper.

CJSF

DonM435
2012-Jan-06, 01:57 PM

CJSF

At least he isn't named I. P. Daley or some such.

Buttercup
2012-Jan-06, 02:01 PM
My grandmother used to carry a picture in her wallet that she had cut out of a catalog. It was an advertisement for denim wallets onto which you could have your name embroidered. There were 5 wallets in the picture. They were stitched with the first names of my grandmother and her four daughters : Ruth, Jean, Carol, Patricia, Nancy

Now that is an interesting coincidence!

CJSF wrote:

Good grief. ;) A friend of mine (Scotland) knew of a Dr. Coffin and a Dr. Death. :(

Trebuchet
2012-Jan-06, 04:19 PM
When my wife was in the medical insurance business she paid claims to a dentist called Dr. Payne. And another whose last name was Toothacre. (I don't know how that was actually spelled, however.)

When I was in the army in Korea many years ago, my office employed a couple of keypunch operators: Miss Kim and Miss Kim. After a while Miss Kim quit and was replaced by Miss Kim. Given that about 1/3 of the Korean population is named "Kim", it's not really much of a coincidence.

Tensor
2012-Jan-07, 10:23 PM
I've got two. One, like PeterCreek, comes from the Air Force. At one point, both my wife and I were serving (interestingly, we were married before enlisting), and my wife worked in the base personel building. She worked in customer service and in another area, there was a guy with my exact name, first, middle and last. Along with the same rank. She would get a lot of "Hey, I just talked to your husband". At which point, she would explain that she wasn't married to him, there was another Staff Sergeant, on base, whom she was married to.

The second was similar to DonM435's situation. Me, my boss, my grand boss, and my great grand boss all had the same name. My grand boss retired and they hired someone WITH THE SAME FIRST NAME for the position.

DonM435
2012-Jan-08, 03:34 AM
The cable TV spokesman for our area was named Les Read.

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Jan-12, 01:42 PM
My last name isn't the most common name there is but my last name and first name is a popular combo. For a couple years there was a father and son who had the same name as me and lived a couple of kilometers further out on the same road. Their were a few mail errors and one time I showed for an eye doctors appointment meant fo one of the them.

Nicolas
2012-Jan-12, 10:28 PM
One day when waiting at the sidewalk, somebody pulled over and asked me if I knew where the "fruit garden lane" was. I do indeed, I live there! But...this was in a town 30km away. Apparently both towns have a street with that (not rather common) name.

Nicolas
2012-Jan-12, 10:31 PM
As a sidenote, a "bad naming" rant. Do not call ships after coastal towns. Don't. I don't speak any Indian languages, so when working in India in the town "Dhamra" while on the vessel "Dhamra", radio communication is a bit confusing. And once I went back and forth between 2 coastal towns for half a day because it wasn't clear whether I should board the "Oostende" in Zeebrugge, or the "Zeebrugge" in Oostende. When I finally knew -after driving back and forth twice- I had to board the "Oostende" in Zeebrugge and arrived once again in Zeebrugge, it turned out I was just too late. The weather had changed, so the "Oostende" had sailed to...Oostende. At that point, I called it a day.

PetersCreek
2012-Jan-13, 12:55 AM
Another couple from my USAF days: I worked with a fellow name Harold (Harry) Butts and for a maintenance officer by the name of William Williams.

Nicolas
2012-Jan-13, 07:38 AM
When I first heard about the Australian Indycar driver Will Power, I thought "the Simpsons just got real". Though there it was Max Power.