PDA

View Full Version : NGC 1404 Supernova

ScottieM3
2011-Dec-30, 06:40 PM
This image was taken on December 26, 2011 at 21:00.
Equipment: Meade 16" LX200 SCT, Meade Deep Sky Imager CCD.
Image Details: 179 images with 8 second exposure each totaling 23.8 minutes of exposure in this composite.

At our latitude we have a small window of opportunity to image NGC 1404 this time of year.

Supernova labelled:

Both images are the same, one with the supernova pointed out.

-Scott

RickJ
2011-Dec-31, 12:43 AM
Nice catch. Always below my skyline and observatory wall. Glad someone has clear weather and could catch it. Why such short exposures?

Rick

ScottieM3
2011-Dec-31, 04:11 AM
Hi Rick, Thanks

Fornax is very low on our horizon and we have had terrible weather lately. This night it was clear and dark (no moon) but seeing was terrible. I attempted longer exposure sets but had trouble collecting any usable images. The set that i used to composite these images actually took 1.25 hours to shoot and I had to throw out most of the images due to much atmosphere.

RickJ
2011-Dec-31, 08:35 AM
Dedication! I'd not have that patience. Though I suspected that might be why the short exposures. Knew a guy who took 2" exposures only when a second parallel scope showed near perfect seeing. Each exposure was 5 minutes but the shutter was opened for 2 seconds each time the monitoring camera said it was worth it. It did result in better images but the work load drove him to quit. Stan Moore shows some results at his website using a zero read noise camera (super expensive) that takes exposures in the thousandths of a second and keeps only the good ones.

I'm at 47N so about 5 degrees above you. I designed the observatory so I can't image that far south as I look over a lake with horrid seeing and zilch for transparency that low. Normally I cut off at 15 south. Let's see, at 27 seconds to download an 8 second exposure....

Rick