PDA

View Full Version : Ringing in the New Year

Buttercup
2011-Dec-30, 10:30 PM
Have items we'll need. It'll be a low-key holiday, as we like. Will visit friends. Have stocked up on favored beverages (including Jarrito's Mexican lime flavored soda).

A friend gave us a large container of Posole (a Southwestern soup). I'll add in a bit more white hominy, and cook some "Spanish" rice to go with. :)

I'm also going to bake a peach pie and a pecan pie.

Otherwise will be home, soaking up the sunshine (our temperature Sunday should reach 69 F). Read and relax.

Happy New Year 2012!

KaiYeves
2011-Dec-30, 11:37 PM
Will go to family friend's house, may visit one of my school friends to drop off a gift.

danscope
2011-Dec-31, 02:04 AM
We'll be going to Bob's house. Good food and song will pour forth. We're bringing the apple pie and some wine
plus a couple guitars. May you enjoy your new year in every way.

Good viewing,

Dan

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-31, 03:37 AM
We'll be going to Bob's house. Good food and song will pour forth. We're bringing the apple pie and some wine
plus a couple guitars. May you enjoy your new year in every way.

Good viewing,

Dan

Sorry, forgot to tell you we won't be there.

Bob

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-31, 08:31 AM
A friend gave us a large container of Posole (a Southwestern soup). I'll add in a bit more white hominy, and cook some "Spanish" rice to go with. :)
I misread that the first time through as "soap" (my reading eye has an infection at the moment), then experienced a serious disconnect when I got to the bit about using it for cooking.

Mine will be with friends, good cooking, likely good whiskey and they get to tell me how much I suck at brewing mead and red wine since I'm bringing the last of my first attempts.

Perikles
2011-Dec-31, 08:56 AM
good whiskeyThat's an oxymoron for me, I only drink it without an 'e'. ;)

I'm afraid I find it difficult to engage with this momentary transition to a new year, because the timing is rather arbitrary. Perhaps that is because I have had too many first days of the year nursing a hangover.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-31, 09:56 AM
As I said, my reading eye is not doing so good at the moment.

geonuc
2011-Dec-31, 10:41 AM
I like Jarritos lime.

BetaDust
2011-Dec-31, 11:48 AM
Happy New Year!.

-- Dennis

kevin1981
2011-Dec-31, 02:43 PM
Hope everyone has a good 2012 :)

I am optimistic !

Romanus
2011-Dec-31, 05:24 PM
--A bottle of Samos (a strong, white muscat) and a The Borgias marathon with the newly-purchased DVD set. :)

Perikles
2011-Dec-31, 06:28 PM
--A bottle of Samos Fill high the bowl with Samian wine!

Romanus
2012-Jan-01, 02:26 AM
^
LOL--you're the only person I've run into online who seems to have ever heard of it. :D

tlbs101
2012-Jan-01, 02:47 AM

I love Posole. It is traditional holiday fare in New Mexico. I just made my own for the first time, two weeks ago.

My wife and I have been sick with a cold for three days, now. We were going to Albuquerque for some NYE fun but cancelled because of the illness. At least I bought a bottle of champagne to pop open at midnight.

KaiYeves
2012-Jan-01, 03:59 AM
Happy New Year! (Still an hour to go here.)

Noclevername
2012-Jan-01, 05:20 AM
Happy New Year!

Chuck
2012-Jan-01, 09:30 AM
I rang in the new year with a 1 hour power failure. At least it's winter. Without electricity my apartment is uninhabitable in the summer, even at night.

Perikles
2012-Jan-01, 09:50 AM
^
LOL--you're the only person I've run into online who seems to have ever heard of it. :DI've been there and tried it. So presumably had Lord Byron (http://readytogoebooks.com/LB-greece.htm), from verse 9 onwards!

jokergirl
2012-Jan-01, 01:20 PM
Fireworks in town and the traditional champagne breakfast with the Vienna Philharmonics (on TV, and cheap champagne; we're not that posh, sadly!) in the morning.

;)

KaiYeves
2012-Jan-01, 08:41 PM
Happy New Year, everyone!

Paracelsus
2012-Jan-01, 09:01 PM
We did absolutely jack-diddly for the new year. My #1 New Year's resolution for '12: have more fun!

Gillianren
2012-Jan-01, 09:37 PM
My traditional start to the New Year has been put off a day. The Tournament of Roses people have had a deal with the churches of Pasadena for lo, these many years--no parade on Sunday. Ever since the days that meant the parade would spook the horses of people in at services.

Strange
2012-Jan-01, 10:00 PM
I'm afraid I find it difficult to engage with this momentary transition to a new year, because the timing is rather arbitrary. Perhaps that is because I have had too many first days of the year nursing a hangover.

That sounds familiar: http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-12-31/

kevin1981
2012-Jan-01, 10:24 PM
I am glad it is all over to be honest. Now i can concentrate on rebuilding my life in 2012 !

BTW I was sober and had a great new years eve. Felt nice and fresh today :)

Gemini
2012-Jan-07, 03:49 AM
I celebrated New Year's eve at a friend's apartment near campus in Huntsville (I spent the night in the dorm). Apparently there had been a small fire in one of the other apartments, which none of use could hear anything over the loud reggae music the neighbor next door was blasting that may have suggested what was going on. Only as I left (I had gotten tired of watching her boyfriend play Skyrim, which was apparently the only entertainment for that night) did I notice the approaching fire truck and the HEMSI truck already at the scene (must not have been anything major, I couldn't find anything on any of the local news stations).

On my drive back to the dorm, I saw what I thought was a pile of rags on the side of the road near the Fitness center, which is near the parking that's attached to my dorm building. On closer inspection, it turned out to be a person, but since I had my hands full, and worried that it may be a trap, I proceeded to my room. After dropping off the items I carried to my room, I went back outside to check on the mystery man. Apparently in the time since I had last seen him, he had managed to crawl across the street to a fire hydrant near my dorm, where he laid on the sidewalk, looking and sounding like a drunken frat boy who had just a little too much "holiday cheer". My first thought was to call campus police, but since the station was so close I just walked there ( he was less than 100 feet from the police station entrance). Last I saw of the guy, there were two cops hovering over him and trying to get him up as cab came to take him away.