PDA

View Full Version : Bad Math on the local NPR station

Hale_Bopp
2002-May-15, 08:15 PM
This morning on the local NPR news, there was a piece about the lottery. One of the multi-state lotteries (like Powerball or MegaMillions or one of those...I don't play so its hard to keep track) is changing the number of balls you have to match.

The reporter said, "This will increase the odds of winning from 1 in 78 million to 1 in 135 million."

Isn't that a decrease in the odds of winning? It increases the odds against you winning.

Okay, maybe this is nit picky, but it still struck me as odd.

Rob

"The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math." Unknown (anyone here know?)

Wiley
2002-May-15, 09:00 PM
On 2002-05-15 16:15, Hale_Bopp wrote:
"The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math." Unknown (anyone here know?)

I believe that is from a bumper sticker which paraphrased Monique Lloyd's definition of a lottery: "The lottery: a tax on people who flunked math."

Yes, I have the mind for minutia. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiley on 2002-05-15 17:01 ]</font>

beskeptical
2002-May-16, 06:49 AM
My bumpersticker says:
"Buckle up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of the car."
Someone else thought of it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Silas
2002-May-16, 04:18 PM
. . . Monique Lloyd's definition of a lottery: "The lottery: a tax on people who flunked math."

A guy once showed me a joke that's about worth a dollar for the shock value: he said, "Wanna see the California do-it-yourself lottery?" I nodded. He reached into his wallet, pulled out a dollar...ripped it into bits and threw them over his shoulder.

Silas

Jim
2002-May-16, 05:07 PM
Louisiana has a state lottery. A drawing is held at 10:00pm every Saturday.

A newspaper interviewed an 80+ yo woman about playing the lottery. She said she had bought five dollars worth of tickets every week since it started, except once when she forgot. She remembered just before the drawing.

The reporter asked her what she did then.

"I took a five dollar bill, tossed it in the toilet and pulled the handle. Same effect."

Mr. X
2002-May-16, 06:51 PM
You don't put bumper stickers when you drive a ferrari...

*sighs* If only...

Wiley
2002-May-20, 11:15 PM
On 2002-05-16 14:51, Mr. X wrote:
You don't put bumper stickers when you drive a ferrari...

*sighs* If only...

The bumper sticker on my Ferrari says "My Other Car is a Ferrari."

*sighs* A nod to Douglas Adams

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiley on 2002-05-20 19:16 ]</font>

Wiley
2002-May-20, 11:16 PM
Oops! Hit quote instead of edit. Can we delete this post?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiley on 2002-05-20 19:17 ]</font>

Chip
2002-May-20, 11:44 PM
<font color red><font size 3">DANGER! DANGER! OFF TOPIC THREAD! DANGER! ABANDON SHIP!</font color></font size>
http://www.mrgalaxy.com/robotzap.jpg