PDA

View Full Version : Hostess brand snack goes going bankrupt?

Buttercup
2012-Jan-11, 01:44 PM
Heard the possible sad news this morning (clock radio alarm).

So this means no more Suzy-Qs (my favorite), Twinkies, Ho-Hos, Sno-Balls, etc.???

Wow. Just when you thought the economy couldn't get worse. Something about sales and pensions probably doing Hostess in.

Have enjoyed those snack cakes since childhood. Hostess was THE brand in my area of the Midwest, growing up.

No more Suzy-Qs.

It's The End. :( ;)

Buttercup
2012-Jan-11, 01:44 PM
See? I'm so frazzled by the news that I botch up the subject line! :rolleyes:

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Jan-11, 01:49 PM
Somebody will proabaly by them out.

Buttercup
2012-Jan-11, 02:03 PM

I hope so. Here's a wedding cake made from Hostess snacks (excluding the chocolate chip cookies).

http://www.hostesscakes.com/images/wacky/delaplane_two.jpg

Pretty danged clever. ;)

*sad sigh*

MAPNUT
2012-Jan-11, 02:47 PM
With all the awareness about the need for healthier foods, can't we regard this as progress? If you must have twinkies, try making your own.

Question is, where can you get mono- and di-glycerides?

Buttercup
2012-Jan-11, 03:00 PM
With all the awareness about the need for healthier foods, can't we regard this as progress? If you must have twinkies, try making your own.

Not when it comes to Suzy-Qs, baby.

Which is actually a Whoopie Pie.

I can make Whoopie Pies (from scratch). Might have to resume doing so. :rolleyes: Which is a bit of a process.

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-11, 03:49 PM
Even so, this is only chapter 11.
So; the only problem will be it will upset thier creditors, and from what I read, it's not the suppliers that are owed.

Not when it comes to Suzy-Qs, baby.
Which is actually a Whoopie Pie.
I can make Whoopie Pies (from scratch). Might have to resume doing so. :rolleyes: Which is a bit of a process.
It's probably healthier though. (at least from a preservative and other chemical stuff point of view)

Buttercup
2012-Jan-11, 03:56 PM
It's probably healthier though. (at least from a preservative and other chemical stuff point of view)

Unfortunately, to make it worth one's time and effort, one has to make a sizeable batch of Whoopie Pies. And then it's either in the freezer with most of them, or you're tempted to keep eating them.

With a double pack of Suzy-Qs it's "buy just that" and eat half of 1 per day until gone. Saves calories and carbs.

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-11, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, to make it worth one's time and effort, one has to make a sizeable batch of Whoopie Pies. And then it's either in the freezer with most of them, or you're tempted to keep eating them.
Good point, and especially noticable to me now that it's girl scout cookie time.
I guess I should have specified "they're healthier" instead of "It's healthier".
At least I specified the aspect in which I formed the opinion. ;)

Trakar
2012-Jan-11, 05:38 PM
Heard the possible sad news this morning (clock radio alarm).

So this means no more Suzy-Qs (my favorite), Twinkies, Ho-Hos, Sno-Balls, etc.???

Wow. Just when you thought the economy couldn't get worse. Something about sales and pensions probably doing Hostess in.

Have enjoyed those snack cakes since childhood. Hostess was THE brand in my area of the Midwest, growing up.

No more Suzy-Qs.

It's The End. :( ;)

Though technically, I'm more of a zinger zapper than a twinkie eater, this is not what I wanted to hear as I sit down with my first cup of coffee! I will pledge to do my part and buy twinkies by the case to help preserve this iconic American snack brand!

Buttercup
2012-Jan-11, 05:43 PM
Though technically, I'm more of a zinger zapper than a twinkie eater, this is not what I wanted to hear as I sit down with my first cup of coffee! I will pledge to do my part and buy twinkies by the case to help preserve this iconic American snack brand!

Yep!!

Zingers are good (especially the raspberry/coconut).

As for Suzy-Qs, I'm surprised Hostess never (to my knowledge) put out a creme de menthe version for the holidays. ;) Wish they would!

danscope
2012-Jan-11, 07:32 PM
One late evening, I was making a Tiramisu (a delightful confection employing something called 'ladyfingers' ).
Well, I ran out of ladyfingers. The only place open was the late night gas station/convenience store.
Well, it seems that four packages of 'Twinkies' made an adequate substitute , soaked in espresso,grandmarnier and dusted with cocoa powder between layers of sweetened mascarpone. It works. Kind of a 'Sneeky Twinkie' . :)

Buttercup
2012-Jan-11, 07:40 PM
One late evening, I was making a Tiramisu (a delightful confection employing something called 'ladyfingers' ).
Well, I ran out of ladyfingers. The only place open was the late night gas station/convenience store.
Well, it seems that four packages of 'Twinkies' made an adequate substitute , soaked in espresso,grandmarnier and dusted with cocoa powder between layers of sweetened mascarpone. It works. Kind of a 'Sneeky Twinkie' . :)

Sounds delicious.

Another reason I was sad for the news is that Hostess products weren't available in this area until maybe 10 years ago. :( And then only limited; my beloved Suzy-Qs didn't start appearing on store shelves until approximately 2005. So from 1992 to 2005, I couldn't get a Suzy-Q (unless I'd have sister box and ship from the Midwest; didn't bother).

So I've enjoyed grabbing a pack of Suzy-Qs occasionally again. Only for it to end??

redshifter
2012-Jan-11, 07:58 PM
I find this deeply concerning, thank you Buttercup for being the voice of those delicious hostess products! I will have to do my duty as an American and buy more ding dongs, cupcakes, ho hos, and of course Suzy Q's! I'm more of a chocoholic, so I don't indulge in Twinkies very often.

I guess there's always the Little Debbie brand, but it's just not the same...except for their marshmallow pies...

Gillianren
2012-Jan-11, 08:10 PM
Yeah, Little Debbie products are definitely inferior. And to think, I decided against Little Chocolate Doughnuts at the store the other night!

Buttercup
2012-Jan-11, 08:20 PM
I find this deeply concerning, thank you Buttercup for being the voice of those delicious hostess products! I will have to do my duty as an American and buy more ding dongs, cupcakes, ho hos, and of course Suzy Q's! I'm more of a chocoholic, so I don't indulge in Twinkies very often.

I guess there's always the Little Debbie brand, but it's just not the same...except for their marshmallow pies...

Little Debbie Swiss Rolls just cannot compare to a Hostess Ho-Ho, imo. The only LD snack I truly like is their Marshmallow Treats (Rice Krispie Treats).

Fazor
2012-Jan-11, 09:07 PM
Ah, but I'd take a Little Debbie Oatmeal Pie over all of em. Yum. Well, not so much now, as I don't have much of a sweet tooth. But when I was in high school, I worked at a grocery store and got a small discount on purchases. An entire box of 'em was already only like $0.98, so most Friday nights when I got off work I'd buy a box. By the time I woke up (around noon) Saturday, they'd be gone.

Man . . . I miss having a metabolism. Now I think all food just directly adds to my weight. Ugh.

swampyankee
2012-Jan-11, 09:26 PM
Let's see....I think the last time I had any Twinkies, HoHos, etc was when I was in college, and in the process of gaining 30 pounds. Right now, there are far too many good bakeries around here: Sugar (a winner on Cupcake Wars), Marjolaine, Libby's, Petanito's, Lucibello's, Cheri's .....

Gillianren
2012-Jan-11, 09:49 PM
We have one good bakery in town that I know of, and their best stuff only appears to be available in their booth at the Farmers' Market. (Well, there are plenty if you're interested in bread, but not many for a sweet tooth.) I would think the brownies would sell like crazy at their actual storefront, but I guess none for me until April.

redshifter
2012-Jan-11, 11:49 PM
OH! I have french vanilla ice cream at home just waiting to be nestled in between a cut in half ding dong!

Moose
Heh. Considering the shelf life of Twinkies et al, and how many are out there, Hostess could disappear tomorrow. What's left will still outlive every person on this board, and their grandchildren.

Moose
Feel like watching UHF all of a sudden...

Gillianren
2012-Jan-12, 12:05 AM
Heh. Considering the shelf life of Twinkies et al, and how many are out there, Hostess could disappear tomorrow. What's left will still outlive every person on this board, and their grandchildren.

Trust me--you do not want to see the pictures which refute this assertion.

Moose
2012-Jan-12, 01:06 AM
Trust me--you do not want to see the pictures which refute this assertion.

Heh, I very probably don't. The rumors are way funnier, anyway.

Jens
2012-Jan-12, 02:14 AM

I don't know. Preservative = make long-lasting. Personally, I want to be long-lasting. So shouldn't I take preservatives?

danscope
2012-Jan-12, 03:41 AM
Round these parts, the Hostess cup cake ( chocolate with the white squiggle across the top) has been sold since
at least 1957 that I can remember. Ah..... but the Drake's apple pies will be around for a long...long time. :)

publius
2012-Jan-12, 04:26 AM
Don't worry. This is the second time they filed Ch. 11. First time was in 2004, and they came out just in 2009. Didn't last too long. They've secured debtor-in-possession fincancing from some hedge fund and will continue operations.

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-12, 01:40 PM
I don't know. Preservative = make long-lasting. Personally, I want to be long-lasting. So shouldn't I take preservatives?
Just wait until you get older and start having problems with chemical balances in your body. You'll learn how different additives react differently in your body.
I ran into about 6 years of very careful scrutiny of ingredient lists. I even had to limit Jello because of an additive.

Buttercup
2012-Jan-12, 01:50 PM
Don't worry. This is the second time they filed Ch. 11. First time was in 2004, and they came out just in 2009. Didn't last too long. They've secured debtor-in-possession fincancing from some hedge fund and will continue operations.

That's good to know! Thanks.

danscope:

the Hostess cup cake ( chocolate with the white squiggle across the top) has been sold since
at least 1957 that I can remember

And every other major/national baker did a copycat on that white squiggle. ;)

Trakar
2012-Jan-12, 05:32 PM
Yep!!

Zingers are good (especially the raspberry/coconut).

As for Suzy-Qs, I'm surprised Hostess never (to my knowledge) put out a creme de menthe version for the holidays. ;) Wish they would!

Outside of a rare mocha splash in my coffee, and the much more rare lava brownie, I really don't do chocolate much, but a holiday creme de menthe Suzy-Q I'd have to try!

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-12, 06:30 PM
Outside of a rare mocha splash in my coffee, and the much more rare lava brownie, I really don't do chocolate much, but a holiday creme de menthe Suzy-Q I'd have to try!
Does creme de menthe have to go with chocolate only?

How about a creme de menthe filled twinkie?
(Hey; I'm a fan of the shamrock shake... Not exactly creme de menthe, but close enough for me)

Oh; and it's official accoring to CNN.
Twinkies will keep coming despite bankruptcy (http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/11/news/companies/hostess_bankruptcy/)
I think the headline says it all.

Trakar
2012-Jan-12, 06:51 PM

(Hey; I'm a fan of the shamrock shake... Not exactly creme de menthe, but close enough for me)

Oh; and it's official accoring to CNN.
Twinkies will keep coming despite bankruptcy (http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/11/news/companies/hostess_bankruptcy/)
I think the headline says it all.

Great, now what am I gonna do with 4 cases of Twinkies!!

Perhaps:

http://www.twinkiesproject.com/

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-12, 07:04 PM
Great, now what am I gonna do with 4 cases of Twinkies!!
Perhaps:
http://www.twinkiesproject.com/
I think that's a good idea, because I see a few flaws in those tests that you should probably improve upon.
The one's I spotted (I know it's not all the flaws, but they stand out).
- The radiation test did not isolate the subject or control. It could have been a radiation test of the wrapper.
- The solubility test also had a wrapper issue. The control was protected while the test subject was not.
- The turing test did not rule out the fact that a twinkie is an intelligent deaf-mute. (ETA. I also thought "teenager on the internet, but even though the response is the same, I'm not sure you're comparing it as something intelligent)

John Mendenhall
2012-Jan-13, 12:25 AM
Little Debbie's Oatmeal Dietary Disasters, agreed, wonderful. And you can pretend that the oatmeal part holding the sugar(s) together is good for you.

Gillianren
2012-Jan-13, 01:26 AM
The Olympian, that bastion of fine journalism, has this as a cover story today and is claiming that your beloved Hostess goodies are going to go away forever. Kind of makes me wonder what that section of our local supermarket looks like right now.

Fazor
2012-Jan-13, 02:51 PM
The Olympian, that bastion of fine journalism, has this as a cover story today and is claiming that your beloved Hostess goodies are going to go away forever. Kind of makes me wonder what that section of our local supermarket looks like right now.

So they waited until it was confirmed that Hostess would remain in operation before running the scare-story that they "MiGhT Go AwaaAAAaaay! FOREVER!" (That should be read in the voice of a bad Scooby-Doo villain . . . you know, as opposed to the good Scooby-Doo villains?)

Gillianren
2012-Jan-13, 07:55 PM
Oh, yeah. The Olympian is not a bad paper, provided you only care about a few specific local things. Other than that, it's a pretty bad paper. I have never seen them write about a problem in Olympia which they did not blame on students from my alma mater, whether they were responsible or not. And I would suspect that the article itself (I didn't read it, just the headlines) probably says, "Okay, so we lied."

Trakar
2012-Jan-13, 08:26 PM
I think that's a good idea, because I see a few flaws in those tests that you should probably improve upon.
The one's I spotted (I know it's not all the flaws, but they stand out).
- The radiation test did not isolate the subject or control. It could have been a radiation test of the wrapper.
- The solubility test also had a wrapper issue. The control was protected while the test subject was not.
- The turing test did not rule out the fact that a twinkie is an intelligent deaf-mute. (ETA. I also thought "teenager on the internet, but even though the response is the same, I'm not sure you're comparing it as something intelligent)

And there went my coffee spit-take for the day!
(I almost made it too, ...last mouthful of last cup today!)
:)

Buttercup
2012-Jan-13, 08:54 PM

Sure, why not? I make a french vanilla cake with the sort of coconut-pecan topping which otherwise only goes on German Chocolate cake. It's a nice variation.

weflyhigh
2012-Apr-11, 06:12 AM
Man, catching this thread was a SCARE!! I was about to go make a bulk order :O I always see good deals for Hostess, didn't realize they were struggling.

NEOWatcher
2012-Apr-17, 03:38 PM
UPDATE:

It may be a scare after all (at least for the company)
Strike threat at Hostess could kill off Twinkies (http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/17/news/companies/twinkies-hostess-strike/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2)
Hopefully; someone will buy the line if it happens.

Buttercup
2012-Apr-17, 04:21 PM
UPDATE:

It may be a scare after all (at least for the company)
Strike threat at Hostess could kill off Twinkies (http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/17/news/companies/twinkies-hostess-strike/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2)
Hopefully; someone will buy the line if it happens.

Saw that. :(

Brings to mind "Zingers." Sometimes I've seen Dolly Madison brand on the box (the original maker of Zingers), at other times Zingers boxes have the Hostess brand.

What's up with that?

I hope someone keeps making Suzy-Qs at least. No other company makes them but Hostess. :(

Chuck
2012-Apr-17, 04:33 PM
I sometimes buy Mrs Freshley's brand snack cakes at the 99 Store. I guess Little Debbie is too upscale for them. Mrs Freshley's isn't horrible but the pictures on the boxes are deceptive.
My favorite Hostess snack is the cinnamon cake.

Buttercup
2012-Apr-17, 04:45 PM
I sometimes buy Mrs Freshley's brand snack cakes at the 99 Store. I guess Little Debbie is too upscale for them. Mrs Freshley's isn't horrible but the pictures on the boxes are deceptive.

We have Mrs. Freshley's here too, and I don't like that brand. Another is Blue Bird; those are okay (actually their "Sno Balls" are better than Hostess, believe it or not).

Speaking of Suzy-Qs again, they are really whoopie pies. They're not round obviously, but the light and fluffy marshmallow-based filling is the original for a whoopie pie. Lately whoopie pies are a craze, and Albertson's (grocer) bakery makes them; however, the filling for theirs is just plain frosting. :( That's not a true whoopie pie.

BigDon
2012-Apr-17, 05:31 PM
Does creme de menthe have to go with chocolate only?How about a creme de menthe filled twinkie?

I can tell you what it doesn't go with:

Two flavors of gum that just don't work for me are mint/citrus and especially mint/peach.

The addition of the mint makes both of those flavors taste like the spoiled versions of the fruits in question. The mint/peach really tastes like rotten peach to the point I get an involuntary revulsion response.

I had a salad once where the dressing was made with tabasco and mandarin orange slices and that was a better match-up than mint and citrus, in my opinion.

NEOWatcher
2012-Apr-17, 06:39 PM
Two flavors of gum that just don't work for me are mint/citrus and especially mint/peach.
Is that actually a flavor, or just happened to have a stick of each?

I agree. Fruits just don't seem to go with mint. In my mind, mint doesn't go with much else that "freshens" your mouth.

Chuck
2012-Apr-19, 03:42 AM
Fry's supermarket in Phoenix raised the price of the cinnamon cakes from $3.99 to $4.29. They must read this thread. I shouldn't have said anything.

NEOWatcher
2012-Apr-19, 04:35 PM
Fry's supermarket in Phoenix raised the price of the cinnamon cakes from $3.99 to $4.29. They must read this thread. I shouldn't have said anything.
I'm sure they noticed a run in demand (or expect one) since the announcement of people wanting to stock up before they are gone.

publiusr
2012-Apr-21, 06:05 PM
If things are so bad that the Huddle Houses and IHOPS shut down--then you know its all over.

Chuck
2012-Apr-21, 11:12 PM
Well, Albertson's supermarket in Scottsdale, Arizona doesn't have the Hostess cinnamon cakes and their other Hostess stuff is marked down to two for $6.00. I guess they want them out of the way so they can use the shelf space for something else.

Trakar
2012-May-01, 05:22 PM
If things are so bad that the Huddle Houses and IHOPS shut down--then you know its all over.

What's a "Huddle House?"

Buttercup
2012-May-15, 02:25 AM
Twinkies with chocolate creme filling. :D Picked up a box. I thought were on sale; clerk went to check, said no; would I like to buy them anyway? Oh yeah! Yummy. :)

I'm still waiting for Suzy-Qs with creme de menthe filling.

Chuck
2012-May-15, 04:59 AM
I got two boxes of Hostess Baseballs for $4.29 (buy one, get one free). They're yellow cake with creme filling and icing that looks like baseball stitching.

NEOWatcher
2012-Jun-13, 04:13 PM
UPDATE:

Hostess Warns Of Large-Scale Layoffs, Including Sacramento (http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/06/11/hostess-warns-of-large-scale-layoffs-including-sacramento-plants/?hpt=us_bn10)

The bakery sent out 1,700 layoff notices to employees at 69 of its California locations, including all 230 at the Arden Way location.
Hostess tells CBS13 all 18,000 employees across the country got the warning.

As a side note: I saw the headline and thought "Some restaurant worker overheard rumors about some kind of layoff. So what?":o

Buttercup
2012-Jun-13, 04:25 PM
UPDATE:

Hostess Warns Of Large-Scale Layoffs, Including Sacramento (http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/06/11/hostess-warns-of-large-scale-layoffs-including-sacramento-plants/?hpt=us_bn10)
As a side note: I saw the headline and thought "Some restaurant worker overheard rumors about some kind of layoff. So what?":o

Oh no. :(

All those jobs lost!! :(

And of course...the cakes. :cry:

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-13, 09:21 PM
Another update:
Now the bakers are on strike and plants have closed because of it.
Labor Fight Could Kill Off Twinkies, Wonder Bread (http://fox8.com/2012/11/13/labor-fight-could-kill-off-twinkies-wonder-bread/)

“If Hostess emerges from bankruptcy under its present plan, it will still have too much debt, too high costs and not enough access to cash to stay in business for the long term,” the union says in a fact sheet on its website.
So; it's a trade of off risk losing our jobs later than sooner but grab the money while we can.

Buttercup
2012-Nov-13, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the update. I'd not seen it.

Well...if Suzy-Qs go the way of the dinosaur, I might just have to jump off an overpass. :(

Or perfect the technique of that lovely filling, and make my own; they're really whoopie pies.

Solfe
2012-Nov-14, 08:13 PM
I can see the headlines now: "Criminal Mastermind, Buttercup steals Hostess's secret formula!"

Enemy
2012-Nov-15, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the update. I'd not seen it.

Well...if Suzy-Qs go the way of the dinosaur, I might just have to jump off an overpass. :(

Or perfect the technique of that lovely filling, and make my own; they're really whoopie pies.

But when you finally find out what the secret of that filling is, will you still want to eat it?

Van Rijn
2012-Nov-15, 08:32 AM
And the company is saying that they're going to ask permission to liquidate if the strikers don't agree to go back to their job today:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/14/us-hostess-bankruptcy-liquidation-idUSBRE8AD1UP20121114

On Wednesday, Hostess said that if enough striking workers did not return to work by 5 p.m. EST (2200 GMT) the next day, the company would on Friday ask U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert Drain in White Plains, New York, who oversees its Chapter 11 reorganization, for permission to shut down and sell assets.

"We simply do not have the financial resources to survive an ongoing national strike," Hostess Chief Executive Gregory Rayburn said in a statement

I very rarely buy Hostess products, though I buy Twinkies every few years. Yet, I would miss that. Probably somebody else would buy the right to make those and the other well known stuff.

Buttercup
2012-Nov-16, 01:49 PM
Enemy, I've been eating that filling for years. :) And if I have to make my own, it'll be fresh ingredients.

Someone on Twitter (copied & pasted to be in order):

Wonder Bread Hostess announced this morning that they are shutting down. Over 18,000 jobs lost. Yes, no more Twinkies.

On the other side, remember that Wonder Bread also produces several other brands of bread. Half the bread shelves will be empty.

With large company shutting down there will be large ramifications. Schools, businesses rely on their product & will now need other options

*shakes head* All those jobs lost. :(

So many memories; Hostess always my favorite brand (especially Suzy-Qs). As for their Ho-Hos ... no one else makes "Swiss rolls" as well as Hostess.

primummobile
2012-Nov-16, 01:55 PM
Vanilla Icing Zingers. Gone.

I guess I'll have to eat the Zingers from "the other guy". This is very sad.

Parrothead
2012-Nov-16, 03:31 PM
It'll take some time to see how things go up here. Some of their products were licenced to other bakeries, Weston's and Saputo. Hostess' assets will eventually be sold, so products may still be sold, eventually. The talk radio station I listen to was just playing one of the potato chip jingles "When you got the munchies, nothing else will do. Hostess potato chips." IIRC, those got folded into the Frito-Lay brand, years ago.

Buttercup
2012-Nov-16, 03:45 PM
I'm wondering if any other company will take on making Suzy-Qs. So far no other has tried duplicating it (for fear of copyright? but that hasn't stopped others making cupcakes with those white squiggles on top). Only Dolly Madison could rightly duplicate a Suzy-Q; it's next best to Hostess.

Otherwise I'm checking out online marshmallow creme filling recipes. :)

What makes me especially sad about Hostess going out is after moving to this area (Desert SW), for years Hostess wasn't available. From 1992 to roughly 2005 no Hostess. Now nearly all Hostess products are available, and I've been so glad.

Now this. :(

FarmMarsNow
2012-Nov-16, 03:47 PM
You can still get chocolate eclairs stuffed with custard.

primummobile
2012-Nov-16, 04:12 PM
It'll take some time to see how things go up here. Some of their products were licenced to other bakeries, Weston's and Saputo. Hostess' assets will eventually be sold, so products may still be sold, eventually. The talk radio station I listen to was just playing one of the potato chip jingles "When you got the munchies, nothing else will do. Hostess potato chips." IIRC, those got folded into the Frito-Lay brand, years ago.

I hope that's the case. Zingers are made by Dolly Madison, the Dolly Madison bakery is owned by Hostess.

mike alexander
2012-Nov-16, 04:15 PM
Wonder Bread, with the red, yellow and blue balloons printed on the wrapper.
Wonder Bread helps build strong bodies twelve ways.

publius
2012-Nov-16, 06:33 PM
Somebody else may buy the brand names in the liquidation. May, mind you. But it's possible those familiar names will live on.

Solfe
2012-Nov-16, 06:59 PM
Cosmoquest Moon Pie has a ring to it... Any way we can raise the funds? :)

Gillianren
2012-Nov-16, 07:46 PM
I hope that's the case. Zingers are made by Dolly Madison, the Dolly Madison bakery is owned by Hostess.

And for some reason, both Dolly Madison and Met Life had Peanuts characters doing their commercials. There's an old Bloom County where Snoopy tries to sell them insurance to protect against defamation suits. They tell him they don't need it, and he gives them what a character refers to as a stale Zinger. (Possibly some kind of cupcake. But a stale pastry of some sort.) He rings the doorbell again and asks if they're sure they don't need that insurance.

FarmMarsNow
2012-Nov-16, 08:20 PM
Somebody else may buy the brand names in the liquidation. Perhaps McDonalds will sell them as McTwinkies, or perhaps Coke will sell them as Twinkies Classic.

redshifter
2012-Nov-16, 09:40 PM
Perhaps McDonalds will sell them as McTwinkies, or perhaps Coke will sell them as Twinkies Classic.

As long as Coke doesn't try to force 'New Twinkies' on us...

Buttercup
2012-Nov-16, 09:50 PM
As long as Coke doesn't try to force 'New Twinkies' on us...

Lol!! :)

Went to local convenience store, picked up 2 double-packs of Suzy-Qs. I'd have bought ALL of them but didn't have enough cash on hand. Besides, looks like I'll have to be making my own from now on.

Van Rijn
2012-Nov-16, 10:42 PM
Heh. For the next few days while there are still some available, I expect Twinkies and the rest of those things will be selling better than they have in years.

Heck, I almost never buy them, and I'm thinking about it.

I expect somebody will buy the rights to make Twinkies, and that they'll continue to be produced, but I'm doubtfull all their stuff will be picked up. The company's main problem was that demand has gone down for their products, and they've been making pretty much the same thing for decades.

swampyankee
2012-Nov-16, 11:04 PM
I do eat pastry (too much pastry....), but I've never been fond of Twinkies, Ho-Ho's, Suzie Q's, etc. Just don't leave me alone in a room with doughnuts. Honey glazed are best....

primummobile
2012-Nov-16, 11:37 PM
Heh. For the next few days while there are still some available, I expect Twinkies and the rest of those things will be selling better than they have in years.

Heck, I almost never buy them, and I'm thinking about it.

I expect somebody will buy the rights to make Twinkies, and that they'll continue to be produced, but I'm doubtfull all their stuff will be picked up. The company's main problem was that demand has gone down for their products, and they've been making pretty much the same thing for decades.

I also think that maybe they were too big for their own good. I was recently reading a book about corporate strategy and how companies manage to stay innovative. One example was that GE used to drop its lowest-selling products from production every year to force their employees to innovate. Proctor and Gamble used to set up competing divisions within their own organization, producing the same products. Maybe the lack of those kinds of things hurt Hostess too much. I can't speak for other parts of the country, but around here the pastry section of convenience stores and supermarkets was almost all Hostess products. They may have just been too saturated in the market with too many products. When the demand fell they had too much fat that they weren't able to trim.

Buttercup
2012-Nov-16, 11:54 PM
...I can't speak for other parts of the country, but around here the pastry section of convenience stores and supermarkets was almost all Hostess products. They may have just been too saturated in the market with too many products. When the demand fell they had too much fat that they weren't able to trim.

I think they made a mistake of not copyrighting their products. Or if Hostess did try, they weren't allowed to? I seem to recall, maybe 20 years ago, Hostess trying unsuccessfully to stop another baker from using "the trademark" white squiggle on their cupcakes. Little Debbie, Mrs. Baird's, Blue Bird -- all those entities have some (at least) ripoffs of Twinkies, Cupcakes, Ho-Hos, or Sno-Balls.

Too much *copycat* competition also did them in?

primummobile
2012-Nov-17, 12:15 AM
I think they made a mistake of not copyrighting their products. Or if Hostess did try, they weren't allowed to? I seem to recall, maybe 20 years ago, Hostess trying unsuccessfully to stop another baker from using "the trademark" white squiggle on their cupcakes. Little Debbie, Mrs. Baird's, Blue Bird -- all those entities have some (at least) ripoffs of Twinkies, Cupcakes, Ho-Hos, or Sno-Balls.

Too much *copycat* competition also did them in?

You're probably on to something there. Maybe if they had protected their brand with the same zealCoca Cola uses to protect their own brand we wouldn't be waking up to a "Hostessless" world tomorrow.

danscope
2012-Nov-17, 12:25 AM
The problem is that more people are reading the contents label of what they eat and making better and smarter choices.
If the ingredients list is 50 items long, don't eat it. Educated people will make educated decisions.
I'll bake from scratch rather than buy stuff like that.

primummobile
2012-Nov-17, 12:33 AM
Hostess had between 2.5 and 3 billion in revenue each year for the last four years. That's pretty good for a privately held corporation. Their products are supposed to be an occasional treat, not a diet staple.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-17, 02:18 AM
I'd guess the probability of the brands disappearing is approximately equal to that of the sun rising in the west tomorrow. There may be a brief absence while things get sorted out but they'll be back. Probably owned by the same guys who are shutting down the company, having successfully disposed of their unions.

primummobile
2012-Nov-17, 03:29 AM
I'd guess the probability of the brands disappearing is approximately equal to that of the sun rising in the west tomorrow. There may be a brief absence while things get sorted out but they'll be back. Probably owned by the same guys who are shutting down the company, having successfully disposed of their unions.

I'm not sure exactly how that works, but they're pretty deep in bankruptcy. Their losses are significant. Can they get out from under that bankruptcy? They aren't a public company and no one is going to loan them money.

primummobile
2012-Nov-17, 03:38 AM
And for some reason, both Dolly Madison and Met Life had Peanuts characters doing their commercials. There's an old Bloom County where Snoopy tries to sell them insurance to protect against defamation suits. They tell him they don't need it, and he gives them what a character refers to as a stale Zinger. (Possibly some kind of cupcake. But a stale pastry of some sort.) He rings the doorbell again and asks if they're sure they don't need that insurance.

That's pretty interesting. You wouldn't know of a link to that, or if it's even available online, would you?

Buttercup
2012-Nov-17, 03:58 AM
I'll bake from scratch rather than buy stuff like that.

Sorry to have to disagree this once, Dan. ;) I'd eat Suzy-Qs indefinitely. Then again, they've been an occasional treat (way too fattening for regular consumption).

I'm scouting the 'net for good marshmallow creme (from scratch) recipes as filling for whoopie pies; something that comes very close (may have already found it). But it's so hot here most of the year, baking is unpleasant much of the time. Ah well.

Gillianren
2012-Nov-17, 04:13 AM
That's pretty interesting. You wouldn't know of a link to that, or if it's even available online, would you?

The whole thing is archived at Go Comics, but I don't remember what date it was published. Or which of my books it's in so I could just look it up dead-tree.

PlutonianEmpire
2012-Nov-17, 04:26 AM
And this is why I utterly hate unions with every ounce of my being. Yes, I hate unions.

Haters gonna hate.

Van Rijn
2012-Nov-17, 05:53 AM

They had an agreement with the Teamsters who were saying that after looking at the books, they accepted that the problems were real. It was the Bakers union that balked, and it sounds like it was a leadership issue (the Teamsters had recommended they take a secret ballot, but if that happened, I didn't see it in a story). While unions can be a good thing for workers, in this case it looks like the Bakers union leadership had unrealistic demands.

Jeff Root
2012-Nov-17, 07:09 AM
There's an old Bloom County where Snoopy tries to sell
them insurance to protect against defamation suits. They tell
him they don't need it, and he gives them what a character
refers to as a stale Zinger. (Possibly some kind of cupcake.
But a stale pastry of some sort.) He rings the doorbell again
and asks if they're sure they don't need that insurance.
Impossible. Snoopy never talks to humans. He can talk with
other animals, and express his thoughts in thought balloons,
but he doesn't talk to humans-- he's a dog!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Gillianren
2012-Nov-17, 07:33 AM
Impossible. Snoopy never talks to humans. He can talk with other animals, and express his thoughts in thought balloons, but he doesn't talk to humans-- he's a dog!

He was talking to Opus.

Jeff Root
2012-Nov-17, 09:17 AM
Oh! Well, that's completely different.

Never mind!

-- Live from Minneapolis, it's Saturday morning!

Solfe
2012-Nov-17, 12:26 PM
I looks like Hostess will sell off its product, (http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-closing/) but needs to go to court to do so.

Standard warning: Reading the comments will shatter your faith in humanity.

Non-standard warning: There is a link to a "timeline" of Hostess problems on that page. It's from July '12, so it's triple dipped in sugary politics. I only mention it because you wouldn't want to bring the political content back here.

Swift
2012-Nov-17, 01:41 PM
And this is why I utterly hate unions with every ounce of my being. Yes, I hate unions.

Haters gonna hate.
Please leave the inflammatory comments out of this thread.

Romanus
2012-Nov-17, 04:12 PM
My local supermarket was already sold out of Twinkies, Ding Dongs, and the like; had to settle for Donettes. :( People are already hawking them on auction sites for big money.

danscope
2012-Nov-17, 06:07 PM
Hi, Buttercup , Yes you can easily make your own whoopie pies , and they are substantially better and better for you, and will taste better as well. And the ones you make yourself aren't as fattening as the junk-ladden ones. I think Ina Garten did a
whoopie pie some time ago, and it looked better as well (ingredients wise). I'll dig a little.
Best regards,
Dan

Solfe
2012-Nov-17, 06:21 PM
OMG! I just realised that all of the Twinkies, the loaves of Wonder Bread, Ding Dongs and Mood Pies, Suzy Q and Zingers will run out before December 21st, 2012.

Well played Mayans, well played. :)

Buttercup
2012-Nov-17, 07:06 PM
OMG! I just realised that all of the Twinkies, the loaves of Wonder Bread, Ding Dongs and Mood Pies, Suzy Q and Zingers will run out before December 21st, 2012.

Well played Mayans, well played. :)

:clap:

You've solved the Mayan Riddle! That is the end of the world!

Ironically we've got a Mayan Calendar Wheel in our rock-wall fence. The original owners placed it. I've looked at that thing...and never saw "Hostess Snack Cakes" in there. :( :doh:

How could I have been so blind?? Maybe it was denial. :cry:

Dan, thanks -- but I have a recipe. My mother made whoopie pies and I've got her recipe. :)

mike alexander
2012-Nov-17, 09:13 PM
After further reflection, I have realized this is one of those stories that is carried on a wave of false nostalgia. I can't buy a Hupmobile any longer, either. Somehow, I will survive.

Chuck
2012-Nov-17, 09:29 PM
I think Hostess is bluffing to get the bakers union to back down. People buying Twinkies on eBay will sure be embarrassed later.

Buttercup
2012-Nov-17, 09:48 PM
Considering the horrific economy -- so many people out of work, and some for so long -- I can't understand why that union hasn't backed down by now. I'd rather work for less $$ than no $$ at all.

Mods: No intentions of "going political." That's all I wanted to say.

publius
2012-Nov-17, 10:16 PM
I think Hostess is bluffing to get the bakers union to back down. People buying Twinkies on eBay will sure be embarrassed later.

No, they aren't bluffing because they pulled the trigger on Ch. 7, liquidation. There is no going back now. They have ceased to be a "going concern".

This kind of thing goes on all the time. You want to buy something. Seller is asking a big price. You say you'll give him somewhat less than what he's asking. Sometimes you meet in the middle. Sometimes you don't and there is no sale. This is a no sale condition.

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-19, 08:27 PM
People buying Twinkies on eBay will sure be embarrassed later....
... when they learn that the shelf life is only 25 days instead of "forever".

Rhaedas
2012-Nov-19, 08:37 PM
And now they want to pay the same managers who couldn't run the company a retention bonus to stay until the end. Thanks guys!

publiusr
2012-Nov-19, 10:53 PM
They had an 80% pay boost, and wanted to take it out of...well, let's just say the timing of all these lay-offs, and the stunt done by the Denny's John Metz and Applebee's Zane Tankel is probably done out of spite. It wouldn't have been the first time for Denny's http://lubbockonline.com/stories/040602/nat_0406020065.shtml

Nowhere Man
2012-Nov-20, 12:38 AM
My local supermarket was already sold out of Twinkies, Ding Dongs, and the like;
Friday I bought four boxes of the ones I like, and today the snack section was solid Little Debbie. Not a Hostess item in sight.

The boxes are in the freezer. Ho-Hos are good even when frozen.

Fred

Buttercup
2012-Nov-20, 12:45 AM
I managed to snag another 2 double-packs of Suzy-Qs from nearby convenience store today. :) Left the other for someone else.

Good news: There's additional mediation going on. Hostess might survive! :)

Other bakers are stepping up as well, expressing interest in buying the name/recipes.

Rhaedas
2012-Nov-20, 12:59 AM
More mediation. As in the CEOs saw another path to get more money out of the company. I know it's cynical, but people profiting from bad decisions and other people's misfortune is a sad thing.

Gillianren
2012-Nov-20, 03:28 AM
You know, I didn't even think to look when I went to the store today? I did buy a box of a new and interesting-looking turtle cake, though, which will probably be better than most Hostess products. For one thing, it's chocolate.

Van Rijn
2012-Nov-20, 05:05 AM
More mediation. As in the CEOs saw another path to get more money out of the company.

Actually, the judge pushed mediation when the company's lawyer went to him requesting liquidation. So if it were up to the company it wouldn't have happened.

Chuck
2012-Nov-20, 05:39 AM
I heard on the news on TV that the bankruptcy is on hold and negotiations with the union have resumed.

primummobile
2012-Nov-20, 12:56 PM
More mediation. As in the CEOs saw another path to get more money out of the company. I know it's cynical, but people profiting from bad decisions and other people's misfortune is a sad thing.

I fail to see how anyone is profiting from this. From what I understand it is costing about a million dollars a day to maintain the overhead on the company. Overhead is a lot more than the CEO or other executives. Even if they liquidate no one working for Hostess is going to see anything significant. Hostess has a significant numbers of creditors, all of whom have many employees, who have extended credit to Hostess and deserve something in place of a total loss. Those creditors are going to see something out of this before anyone at Hostess does.

Buttercup
2012-Nov-20, 01:42 PM
I just hope it continues -- especially for the employees (goes without saying!).

There was talk yesterday that Grupo Bimbo (Mexico) owner is interested in the name and products. Some people sharply reacted (I'd like to keep Hostess American too!), but I will say that Bimbo makes very good baked products; their bread and sliced pecan pound cakes are yummy.

But I'd definitely like it to remain a U.S. company, for every reason (especially nostalgia; it's ours).

HenrikOlsen
2012-Nov-20, 02:10 PM
And all this fuss over a range of products that are dying because people didn't really give a damn about buying them until they became news and thus triggered some artificial nostalgia.

They died from lack of demand, don't expect to them to have any long term viability no matter what short term measures are made to stop the owners from throwing in the towel.

primummobile
2012-Nov-20, 02:21 PM
And all this fuss over a range of products that are dying because people didn't really give a damn about buying them until they became news and thus triggered some artificial nostalgia.

They died from lack of demand, don't expect to them to have any long term viability no matter what short term measures are made to stop the owners from throwing in the towel.

I don't agree with that. Their average yearly sales are 2.5 billion dollars. That's not lack of demand. They died because that 2.5 billion was not managed properly. Declining demand is not the same thing as lack of demand.

SeanF
2012-Nov-20, 02:40 PM
Those creditors are going to see something out of this before anyone at Hostess does.
Don't be so sure. There is, in fact, recent precedent to the contrary, but it's a somewhat political discussion. :)

I don't agree with that. Their average yearly sales are 2.5 billion dollars. That's not lack of demand. They died because that 2.5 billion was not managed properly. Declining demand is not the same thing as lack of demand.
Exactly. Specifically, they went bankrupt because their sales income was less than their expenses, and there is very much reason to believe that they allowed their expenses to get out of hand. But, again, that's going to get into the political. :)

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-20, 08:31 PM
They had an 80% pay boost...
They who?

and wanted to take it out of...well, let's just say the timing of all these lay-offs, and the stunt done by the Denny's John Metz and Applebee's Zane Tankel is probably done out of spite. It wouldn't have been the first time for Denny's http://lubbockonline.com/stories/040602/nat_0406020065.shtml
What does that have to do with Hostess?

primummobile
2012-Nov-21, 01:15 PM
Don't be so sure. There is, in fact, recent precedent to the contrary, but it's a somewhat political discussion. :)

I don't deny that. But this failure is a little more high profile that most, especially with the union vs. union drama. I would imagine that the company is going to be under a lot of scrutiny from the trustee, and the trustee is going to be under even more scrutiny from the creditors, who seem to be lined up into next week. I don't know what will happen, obviously. But I just don't think anyone is going to be coming out of this better than they went in.

primummobile
2012-Nov-21, 01:18 PM
They who?

Some of the executives had large raises. The CEO had a 300% raise. But the CEO was fired last March, at the behest of the Teamsters, and the other top executives agreed to an annual salary of $1 until the company emerged from bankruptcy. I dont' know what they were promised after that.

Buttercup
2012-Nov-21, 01:50 PM
Some of the executives had large raises. The CEO had a 300% raise.

Outrageous.

But the CEO was fired last March, at the behest of the Teamsters, and the other top executives agreed to an annual salary of $1 until the company emerged from bankruptcy. I dont' know what they were promised after that.

And now no one's getting a raise and 18,000 jobs are lost. :cry:

When will American corporations learn?

Wish my grandparents had stayed in the Czech Republic. I'd probably be better off having been born/living there.

Chuck
2012-Nov-21, 02:54 PM
I just heard on the news on TV that last minute negotiations with the bakers' union have failed and it's back to bankruptcy court.

primummobile
2012-Nov-21, 03:10 PM
Outrageous.

And now no one's getting a raise and 18,000 jobs are lost. :cry:

When will American corporations learn?

Wish my grandparents had stayed in the Czech Republic. I'd probably be better off having been born/living there.

I think that there is plenty of blame to go around in this situation. Most of the blame should rest on the management, because they are responsible for what happens and there's really no way around that. (people all think they would like to be in charge, but many change their mind when they realize they are held accountable for not only themselves, but people they don't even see---and that's the way it should be. Leaders better have wide shoulders.) But things like the union rule that Twinkies and Ding Dongs couldn't be transported on the same truck didn't help things much. I know the idea was to provide more jobs, but with the falling demand some of those things should obviously have been eliminated.

SeanF
2012-Nov-21, 06:39 PM
I don't deny that. But this failure is a little more high profile that most, especially with the union vs. union drama. I would imagine that the company is going to be under a lot of scrutiny from the trustee, and the trustee is going to be under even more scrutiny from the creditors, who seem to be lined up into next week. I don't know what will happen, obviously. But I just don't think anyone is going to be coming out of this better than they went in.
I don't think this is any more high-profile than was the recent precedent I mentioned. To be sure, I am hopeful that Hostess' bankruptcy will work through the normal processes, as you suggest. But I'm afraid I wouldn't bet money on it.

Gillianren
2012-Nov-21, 06:40 PM

. . . Possibly not?

Chuck
2012-Nov-21, 07:28 PM
My father's parents were born in Czechoslovakia, but that was in the late 19th century.

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-21, 07:59 PM
As a person with two parents born in (what was) Czechoslovakia... I think we are straying from the topic.

Jeff Root
2012-Nov-21, 08:33 PM
As a person with two parents born in (what was)
Czechoslovakia... I think we are straying from the topic.
Not all that far. Ralston Purina Chex and Hostess
Wonder Bread Polka Dots share a common border.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

primummobile
2012-Nov-22, 11:30 AM
I don't think this is any more high-profile than was the recent precedent I mentioned. To be sure, I am hopeful that Hostess' bankruptcy will work through the normal processes, as you suggest. But I'm afraid I wouldn't bet money on it.

Nor would I. I just tend to have an almost child-like faith that things will happen the way they are meant to happen.

NEOWatcher
2013-Apr-25, 04:29 PM
Twinkies (the real ones) back on store shelves in July (http://www.nbcnews.com/business/twinkies-real-ones-back-store-shelves-july-6C9590050)

All of the classic Hostess snack brands will return, some making their return in August and September. Hostess Donettes and some of the snack cakes will be among the first to return. And "Twinkies for sure," Cramer said.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-25, 04:34 PM
Yay! :) That'd better include Suzy-Qs.