PDA

View Full Version : Question about Word 2003

peter eldergill
2012-Jan-12, 03:08 PM
Hey all

My network computer at work no longer does a function that it used to.

When text is highlighted, you could press any key and the highlighted text would be deleted. Now I can only do that using the delete key. It is not the "insert" key causing this problem.

I've checked various things on the dropdowns but can't find anything.

Any ideas?

Pete

Strange
2012-Jan-12, 03:13 PM
There is an option called "replace selected text when typing" or similar ("Typing replaces selected text"?) which affects this. That may have been changed by someone.

peter eldergill
2012-Jan-12, 03:15 PM
I just found it ...d'oh

tools...options...edit..."typing replaces section" was unchecked. Works now

I'm sure nobody did that on this computer, could it be a network thing?

Pete

Strange
2012-Jan-12, 03:17 PM
Maybe, if it is shared. Depends on the setup, I guess.

Tog
2012-Jan-12, 03:57 PM
If you have one of "those" sysadmins, they can clone the company settings to all machines for just about everything. This keeps everyone on the same desktop background for example. I'm not sure if they can do that with program settings, but as it's an MS program, it might be possible.

Nicolas
2012-Jan-12, 10:24 PM
Our company has this great policy:

-they have a tool that always puts the company desktop background on your screen when you (re) start the computer. This way, you clearly represent yourself as working for this company. That's the idea.
-NEVER leave your laptop unlocked when people from outside the company are in the vicinity

Soooo...you have to set a background such that those who are not allowed to see it can see it? Anyway, it's a very plain, boring background so I replaced it with something (acceptable) that inspires me during work. I think that's the most important function for my background to do; others will know who I'm working for when they see me with my laptop anyway.

And now that I'm here... Where can I change the language default of the spell checker's autocorrect in the new outlook? Or shut it off completely? It's now in "some" language, and it always places a space before a period which is not allowed in Dutch.

Trebuchet
2012-Jan-13, 01:09 AM
If you have one of "those" sysadmins, they can clone the company settings to all machines for just about everything. This keeps everyone on the same desktop background for example. I'm not sure if they can do that with program settings, but as it's an MS program, it might be possible.

Yup. My company wasn't terrible on desktop backgrounds but we all got the company screensaver no matter what. And, germane to the original post, every few weeks the "autocorrect" function in word would get turned back on. I had a technical job in an aerospace company and had to use a LOT of words not in the MS dictionary. Autocorrect was a complete pain in the wazoo.