PDA

View Full Version : NASA Tools

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-12, 05:24 PM
This article sounded very strange to me. Maybe one of you NASA folks can clear it up for me.
(I'm asking on OTB because I really don't think it's important to space exploration)

Pittsburgh Area Native Wins Contest To Save Federal Tax Dollars (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/01/11/pittsburgh-area-native-wins-contest-to-save-federal-tax-dollars/?hpt=us_bn4)

told the President his idea to create a tool library for space projects so NASA wouldn’t have to buy the same tools over again.
Because the reporter doesn't ask questions, I have no clue what they do now.

To me, this is not a novel idea. There's plenty of places with "tool lockers", and I always thought NASA did something like this, or relied on the contractors to use thier own tools.

I've seen other methods, but I don't see them as costing the company unless it's an employee perk.
For instance:
Some companies (particularly car repair) assign a set of tools to an employee and it's the employee's responsibility to keep those tools maintained for the company.
Some companies require the employee to actually purchase thier own tools and put in place a system similar to a rent to own type of situation.

But; When NASA buys a tool for something, where does it go?

Trebuchet
2012-Jan-13, 01:25 AM
I clicked on the link with some trepidation thinking it would be lame. I had no idea; it was far worse than that. I even watched their video which gave me the same text they had on the page but only after watching 30 seconds of Larry the Cable Guy in a sleeveless lab coat giving me health advice. The award was voted on on-line by the public. Neither the public, nor the station, nor the President is likely to have any idea what either the problem or the solution really was.

About 20 years ago the large aerospace company I worked for got on a "5-S (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5S_(methodology))" kick. (Yet another management fad of the week.) The management of the division that made some of the parts I was responsible for decided to get organized when it came to tools -- perhaps like the guy that won the award. They ordered all employees to take personal tools home. Only company owned tools were to be used. It turned out they didn't have tools small enough to assemble some of the tiny screws on "my" parts. Oops! Fortunately the employees were smarter than their "leaders" and had stashed away the necessary tools in their lockers.

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-13, 02:06 PM
The award was voted on on-line by the public. Neither the public, nor the station, nor the President is likely to have any idea what either the problem or the solution really was.
Nor can they express the pitfalls or ask questions if it was just a poll. Like, what kind of controls would need to be in place. The honor system doesn't always work, and putting in controls costs money.

I'd also like to know how he computed this 2 to 3 million that he "hopes" to save.

MAPNUT
2012-Jan-13, 02:16 PM
I think NASA should lay off all their tools and replace them with nice people.

Trebuchet
2012-Jan-13, 03:43 PM
I think NASA should lay off all their tools and replace them with nice people.

But then how could they keep the Moon Hoax secret? And all those aliens?