PDA

View Full Version : The ground shook in my home town today!

emmylou
2012-Jan-13, 12:18 AM
Hi there everyone

At about 3:15pm on the 12th of Jan 2012 in a small town called Berwick-Upon-Tweed there earth started to shake, there was a low ramble that grew louder as me and my mum was sitting watching the television, then all of a sudden the windows started shaking it even woke my nephew up he came down stairs and said he was really shaking he thought his window was going to shatter!

Now there has never to anybodies knowledge been an earthquake in Berwick before which sent me into panic mode, weird thing is it was felt as far down the coast as Newcastle and north of the border as far as Eyemouth! so the officials are saying it was caused by a sonic boom! I am not really buying this as we live in an area where we have jets flying over head frequently and there has never been anything like this. I do have an article so I am going to post that also.

Just thought it would be interesting to find out what other people thought about this!!

http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/news/local-headlines/ground_shakes_in_berwick_1_2052374 that is from the local paper.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01/12/earthquake-caused-by-raf-tornado_n_1202778.html and this one is from The Huffington Post.

Rhaedas
2012-Jan-13, 12:26 AM
Having lived in Florida years ago and accustomed to the space shuttle coming back to Cape Canaveral, with its customary double sonic boom, it sounds like that's exactly what you heard. Depending on the atmospheric conditions and wind, it can be quite powerful even if it's not nearby.

Along with that, looking at the USGS map for Europe http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/region/Europe.php there's been nothing in the past week above a 2.5, which would be barely felt.

emmylou
2012-Jan-13, 12:38 AM
Well I can defo say its certainly made a little town get noticed :) it really throw me to be honest and I am still freaking out quite badly, thank you for your reply I guess its just because I have never heard or felt one before. I take it when the space shuttle re-enters the ground also shakes?

Ugh my main trigger is earthquakes so I am hoping I don't come across as being silly, my mind goes into over drive and I start thinking all sorts :(

Rhaedas
2012-Jan-13, 01:15 AM
The shuttle isn't quite as loud as a near jet would be, as it's pretty high up when it slows down and sets off the boom. Given you heard a rumble build up first, that points to a jet near enough to be quite loud when it breaks the barrier.

The shuttle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtfSAM6ruXE&feature=related

emmylou
2012-Jan-13, 01:23 AM
Thank you for the link :) Just hope it was a one off can't be having all this stress again :) I guess this is a little bit of history that will be talked about for a while :D

Rhaedas
2012-Jan-13, 01:42 AM
Given that there was some damage done, I'd bet it won't happen again, and someone's getting a lecture. I wonder if someone strayed a bit off course...

We have a few Air Force bases in this area, and on the coast you can sometimes catch them doing exercises far over the water. It's a bit frowned on to have them doing excessive low flights over populated areas, much less supersonic speeds.

John Mendenhall
2012-Jan-13, 01:51 AM
Mm. As Inspector Clouseau would say, "A sonic boomp."

emmylou
2012-Jan-13, 02:07 AM
Given that there was some damage done, I'd bet it won't happen again, and someone's getting a lecture. I wonder if someone strayed a bit off course...

We have a few Air Force bases in this area, and on the coast you can sometimes catch them doing exercises far over the water. It's a bit frowned on to have them doing excessive low flights over populated areas, much less supersonic speeds.

We have really low flying about 3 or 4 times a year, we don't mind so much, however when they do their low flying at night that really gets to me as it is creepy! Hopefully this one truly a one off :) thank you for calming me down :) you don't know how much it means to me, thought I was never going to settle!

John just talking about Peter Sellers in The Pink Pather LOL :)

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-13, 02:15 PM
so the officials are saying it was caused by a sonic boom! I am not really buying this as we live in an area where we have jets flying over head frequently and there has never been anything like this.
I can buy the fact that it was a sonic boom, but I have a hard time imagining it sounding like that from 10 miles away.

Strange
2012-Jan-13, 02:24 PM
there was a low ramble that grew louder

I have been in some biggish earthquakes in my time and I have never noticed any rumbling type noise. And certainly not before the shaking starts. Most of the noise comes from the creaking of the building, rattling of china, things falling off shelves and people yelling jishin da!.

Buttercup
2012-Jan-13, 02:46 PM
I'm glad no one was hurt.

A trembler occasionally passes through our area, but it's so mild I've never actually felt one.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jan-13, 04:09 PM
I have been in some biggish earthquakes in my time and I have never noticed any rumbling type noise. And certainly not before the shaking starts. Most of the noise comes from the creaking of the building, rattling of china, things falling off shelves and people yelling jishin da!.
I've only ever been in one (http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=113007) (4.7 epicenter 65 miles away) and that had everything going at a very clear nearly pure tone around 15-20 Hz for something like 5-10 seconds. Quite clean start and end with nothing before or after.

My memory of the sound has been tweaked since then through, the frequency comes close to the sound of a GAU-8/A Avenger and sound clips of that one has likely replaced my memory of the sounds of the event.

Trebuchet
2012-Jan-13, 06:57 PM
I've been in a couple of earthquakes and don't remember any sound at all, other than things in the building rattling around. I was at work during the Nisqually quake -- I remember standing up and watching the dust come out of the ceiling, then noticing that all my co-workers had vanished under their desks. That seemed like a good idea so I did likewise.

NEOWatcher
2012-Jan-13, 07:25 PM
I've been in a couple of earthquakes and don't remember any sound at all, other than things in the building rattling around.
Other than one with a quick "boom" (thinking it was nearby lightning), I only experienced one.
Same thing, the building was rumbling like the ventilation system was kicking on, and then just got louder.

...noticing that all my co-workers had vanished under their desks. That seemed like a good idea so I did likewise.
We ran outside thinking we would see the helicopter that's landing outside. It wasn't until we got outside and saw nothing that we realized it was a quake.

emmylou
2012-Jan-14, 05:15 PM
Whtever it was, it was kinda cool but I am hoping not to go through it again anytime in the near furture :)

BigDon
2012-Jan-15, 07:00 AM
emmylou, I've been buzzed by Tomcats exceeding 750 mph while they were travelling at flightdeck level less than two hundred yards off the port side.

As it approachs you can see the ocean flattening out underneath the aircraft in a swath at least 500 feet across and we're talking about a day with a sea state of four to five foot waves with whitecaps.

Even with flightdeck gear on it's painful when it passes. Exposed skin doesn't like hypersonic shock waves. Feels just like when some mean person lashes your lower face with leather shoe laces.

Doodler
2012-Jan-18, 03:25 PM
If it was a sonic boom, that's someone's backside in a sling. At least on this side of the Atlantic, supersonic flight over populated areas is an EXTREME no-no. I've heard of one incident recently that had said pilot grounded instantly.

Jens
2012-Jan-19, 02:06 AM
About earthquakes, I experience them regularly, and there was a particularly memorable one last March. . . But there was no sound that I can remember, except for the books flying off shelves and glasses crashing onto the floor and stuff like that. And as far as I remember there isn't any sound in general, except for the sound of window panes shaking and stuff like that.

Luckmeister
2012-Jan-19, 03:36 AM
Years ago, I was travelling through Yellowstone and stopped to camp for the night in a sleeping bag on a thin tarp. I noticed that when I pressed an ear against the ground, I could hear and perhaps barely feel a rumbling from underground. It sounded like liquid moving and exerting pressure in a pulsing manner. When I lifted my head, I felt or heard nothing. My guess was water or steam -- probably not magma. I was only a few miles from Old Faithful. I've wondered how close to the surface it was. Considering the size of the Yellowstone caldera, I'm not surprised I experienced that.

closetgeek
2012-Jan-21, 12:46 AM
Well I can defo say its certainly made a little town get noticed :) it really throw me to be honest and I am still freaking out quite badly, thank you for your reply I guess its just because I have never heard or felt one before. I take it when the space shuttle re-enters the ground also shakes?

Ugh my main trigger is earthquakes so I am hoping I don't come across as being silly, my mind goes into over drive and I start thinking all sorts :(

The first time I felt the sonic boom, I ran out my front door because I thought someone drove a car into my garage door. It can be alarming and certainly don't blame you for freaking out. I did too. I looked around the neighborhood for a few minutes and no one else came out. It wasn't until I came back inside and overheard the local news talking about a shuttle landing that I was able to relax.

BigDon
2012-Jan-23, 03:52 PM
I remember an incident when I was a child back around 72. A pair of Air force birds broke mach over the Bay Area and got in deep kimchee.

Closetgeek reminded me because I thought the very same thing. That someone had driven into my garge door. It was in the evening sometime after dark