PDA

View Full Version : Did I get this right?

AKONI
2012-Jan-15, 01:41 AM
A friend of mine just saw a video on how ex-Pres Bush and others are really reptilian creatures who came from another world because they want our gold, which, I have to admit, is a nice change of pace from aliens wanting our water.

This was my response....

Back to the video. The people who believe in these reptilian aliens believe they came here for our precious metals, which is lunacy. The elements that form Gold are created in a super nova blast and are scattered throughout the galaxy. In fact the vast majority of all elements are formed either in a Star or when a Star goes super nova. What remains of this blast is a cloud of dust and gas usually called a nebula. The Earth exists because gravity clumped these particles together until they formed planets. We have gold on our planet because these elements were a part of those particles. This also means that gold should be found on most rocky planets, so why would Aliens have to travel light years to our planet when there are many other rocky planets in the Milky Way galaxy? That would be like aliens attacking Earth for its water when Europa, a moon of Jupiter, is a literal ice world or rather, a world of frozen water.

Oh, if you're wondering who came up with the idea of alien reptiles wanting our gold, go here... It's the second paragraph in the section labeled Reptilians and shape-shifting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke#Reptilians_and_shape-shifting

loglo
2012-Jan-15, 02:40 AM
Sounds like they ripped off the plot of a recent science fiction movie and combined it with a Dr Who story. David Icke must be running out of ideas to peddle his crap. Your explanation being much more thoughtful, reasonable and well argued will of course sink like a stone on You-woo. :)

EDG
2012-Jan-15, 06:25 AM
Technically you also need a mechanism to concentrate the gold in order to make it economical to extract though.

If a rocky body hasn't differentiated into a core and mantle and crust, and not had volcanic and hydrothermal activity to chemically process and dissolve minerals in the rocks, and not had water running over and through its surface and winds in the atmosphere eroding those rocks away and concentrating those minerals in certain places... then your gold would probably just be scattered thinly throughout the crust and you'd need to stripmine vast areas of planetary surface in order to extract enough of it to make a human-sized trinket like a ring or a necklace.

The hydrothermal activity and rivers are what concentrate the gold into placer deposits such as veins and riverbeds - so your planet needs something like that too (I'd imagine most volcanically active earth-sized planets with atmospheres and water on the surface would have those processes though, so your point probably still stands :) ).

Also, it sounds like someone took "V" a little too seriously when they were a kid...

Shaula
2012-Jan-15, 07:25 AM
The only other complication is the distribution of metals in the galactic disk (metals in this case meaning elements other than hydrogen and helium). But that said aliens could not really have evolved in an area with no metals - hydrogen/helium are not known for their ability to form complex molecules with each other. So wherever they came from would have had metals, including gold, to some degree.

AKONI
2012-Jan-15, 12:51 PM
Technically you also need a mechanism to concentrate the gold in order to make it economical to extract though.

If a rocky body hasn't differentiated into a core and mantle and crust, and not had volcanic and hydrothermal activity to chemically process and dissolve minerals in the rocks, and not had water running over and through its surface and winds in the atmosphere eroding those rocks away and concentrating those minerals in certain places... then your gold would probably just be scattered thinly throughout the crust and you'd need to stripmine vast areas of planetary surface in order to extract enough of it to make a human-sized trinket like a ring or a necklace.

The hydrothermal activity and rivers are what concentrate the gold into placer deposits such as veins and riverbeds - so your planet needs something like that too (I'd imagine most volcanically active earth-sized planets with atmospheres and water on the surface would have those processes though, so your point probably still stands :) ).

Also, it sounds like someone took "V" a little too seriously when they were a kid...

Thanks. I had a feeling my explanation was missing something like that.

swampyankee
2012-Jan-15, 01:00 PM
My response? Neglecting that I wouldn't -- something about arguing with idiots -- I'd just suggest that if they can get here from that far away, why didn't they just blow up the Earth so they can get at the concentrated precious metals in the core? Why bother talking with vermin?

Considering that humans have shown a perfect willingness to do something quite close to that, why should aliens from planet X be any more considerate?

slang
2012-Jan-16, 12:56 AM

I'm still kind of wondering if mice can indeed be tasty, as our cats are trying to tell us.

Middenrat
2012-Jan-17, 03:23 AM
I'm still kind of wondering if mice can indeed be tasty, as our cats are trying to tell us.

Or as our Socks would have it, 'Tasty in parts'.

swampyankee
2012-Jan-19, 02:38 AM

Or these guys (http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/cookingrats.htm)?