PDA

View Full Version : Daring to dream again by Buzz Aldrin

AstroMike
2002-May-16, 05:36 PM
http://www.moonwalkers.com/washington%20times/Daring%20to%20dream%20again%20--%20The%20Washington%20Times.htm

I like this paragraph. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Around the globe, that moment stands as a sort of living beacon, lighting the way in conversations that otherwise would dead-end in "it cannot be done." It was an achievement not of a few men or the National Aeronautics and Space Administration or even America, on reflection. It was an achievement of the human spirit, and the faith of mere men in the daring that allowed them to trust in their Creator and reach outward.

The Rusty Lander
2002-May-19, 02:51 PM
Actually, its the Tower of Babel all over again, man's pride in wanting to be like God and reach for the heavens. "Nothing can stop us now" is the phrase used so God showed that he could stop them, causing confusion with new languages. And don't you think that the same God who is the same yesterday, today and forever has continued to stop mankind from reaching to the heavens since? So if we can't really get there, well, just make it up and fool them into thinking we can. So no longer do we have the pride of man, we have the pride of man based on the lie of an achievement that never happened!

LunarOrbit
2002-May-19, 03:05 PM
Rusty, is your real name Bart by any chance? That Tower of Babel crap is something he talks about in his movie.

Why wouldn't God want us to go to the moon? Are you qualified to speak for God?

Roy Batty
2002-May-19, 03:07 PM
Oh well, thats it then.. i'm now firmly swayed onto the 'Lunar conspiracy camp' by that /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
Obviously no point arguing silly things like facts with you /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

edited:
I should of used quotes.. this was in repsonse to Rusty Lander's post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roy Batty on 2002-05-19 11:08 ]</font>

David Hall
2002-May-19, 03:10 PM
Yeah, God will not let us reach the heavens. But he will allow us to put up our geosynchronous satellites so we can communicate to each other in a Babel of languages all over the globe.

Or don't you believe in telecommunications, satellite TV, or the internet?

AstroMike
2002-May-19, 05:59 PM
On 2002-05-19 10:51, The Rusty Lander wrote:
Actually, its the Tower of Babel all over again, man's pride in wanting to be like God and reach for the heavens. "Nothing can stop us now"

No, I don't think that was Aldrin's attitude. Reread the paragraph: "It was an achievement of the human spirit, and the faith of mere men in the daring that allowed them to trust in their Creator and reach outward.

"Trust in their Creator". That's the point.

Tomblvd
2002-May-19, 09:37 PM
So no longer do we have the pride of man, we have the pride of man based on the lie of an achievement that never happened!

Ah, you might want to head over to the other thread where you posted some "proof" of the "achievment that never happened".

You have a lot of questions to answer.

Lisa
2002-May-20, 04:32 AM
We haven't "reached the heavens since"? News to me. Ahh, the "Astronomy picture of the Day". Hubble is probably responsible for more changes of computer wallpaper than any other source.
Don't forget the pics from Mars. Exciting, scary, thrilling, and intimidating all at the same time. Can't wait to hear what they're planning next.
Lisa