PDA

View Full Version : Fashion mistake!

Buttercup
2012-Jan-24, 02:00 AM
A mail order arrived today. My first time purchasing a pair of plaid slacks. In the catalog photo the slacks look feminine, with light traces of plaid in colors of yellow, blue, green against a sand-colored background. As if the plaid is more of an impression than an actual pattern(ing).

Well the slacks arrived today and "in real life" the plaid coloring is much darker. :( As in "golf-style" plaid. :o :doh: Ugh, tonight I'll probably have nightmares about plaid; and about the word "plusquamperfect." :p

I'm returning the slacks.

Anyone else here with a recent fashion goof?

redshifter
2012-Jan-24, 02:07 AM

Every time I get dressed...

Nowhere Man
2012-Jan-24, 02:58 AM
Let me post a pic of my closet & dresser drawers...

Fred

danscope
2012-Jan-24, 03:04 AM
Hi, The golfers wear such apparel in the interest of deliberately being seen.... as in " Say, those guys are 200 yards away,
I just might reach them if I hit it good" , and then wait untill it is clear to play. The pros want high visibility on the course
for publicity. Your basic golfer wants high visibility for survival purposes. :) Sometimes 'loud' is a good thing.
Sorry about your purchase.

Best regards,
Dan

Taeolas
2012-Jan-24, 03:36 AM
Of course if you are from Nunavit, the citizens up there are notorious for ordering Pink Camouflage pants from a catalog by phone. I doubt even your plaid pants will top that. :) (If you are on a certain web forum, look up Gravekeeper's posts and his constant order taking of the citizens from the Great White North's White North)

Swift
2012-Jan-24, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Buttercup

At least that's what my wife tells me. :D

BigDon
2012-Jan-24, 03:09 PM
I have people that make sure I don't do that.

And even though I don't wear them often, I do like a nice tie. I have about eight. But I need new ones as these are getting dated.

(My underwear took them to dinner.)

megrfl
2012-Jan-24, 04:27 PM

Let me post a pic of my closet & dresser drawers...

Too funny!

I am almost always disappointed with apparel I purchase online, so I stopped doing it, unless it's items I know, such as stuff from VS.

Buttercup
2012-Jan-24, 05:23 PM
I am almost always disappointed with apparel I purchase online, so I stopped doing it, unless it's items I know, such as stuff from VS.

I seldom purchase clothing either online or via mail-order catalog (this order). However, one company in particular is consistently very good (price, quality, speediness, fabrics) and I've done business with them for quite a while. These plaid slacks were the 1st disappointment. Again, the patterning looked soft and feminine in the photo.

danscope, yeah. I would be noticed on a golf course in these slacks!!

Definitely going back for a refund.

PetersCreek
2012-Jan-24, 07:08 PM
My style mistakes are mostly magnified by the filter of fashion history. They include (but are by no means limited to) a rust-colored leisure suit, a pair of widely flaired pants in red, white, and blue houndstooth, often worn with blue and white patent leather platform shoes, and Coca-Cola drawstring "beach pants." I'm not even sure I thought they were good ideas at the time but hey, I was a teen in the '70s. That should serve as explanation enough...I hope.

Much of what I wear for (my) style these days tends to be rooted in classic or traditional fashion. I don't yet own a 3-button suit coat (and likely never will), I have a fondess for elbow patches, and wingtip shoes are still my favorite. As for other times, well, Carhartt's never go out of fashion in Alaska.

DonM435
2012-Jan-24, 08:01 PM
Dik Brown, the cartoonist for Hagar the Horrible claimed that once as he was leaving the house in his usual mismatched duds, his wife said "I hope you get lost. I'd love to describe you to the police."

Edit: Sorry, it's "Browne." You will note that I correctly misspelled his first name!