PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 11 television broadcasts

LunarOrbit
2002-May-17, 10:44 PM
As you all know, one of Bart Sibrels biggest pieces of "evidence" is the footage of the Apollo 11 crew "faking" part of the mission.

The truth of course is that they weren't faking anything, they were rehearsing for a live TV broadcast which millions of people on Earth were going to be watching.

On July 31st, 1969, the Apollo 11 crew gave a debriefing of their mission. This is what the astronauts had to say about the TV broadcasts and the difficulty in preparing for them:

From the "Apollo 11 NASA Mission Reports, Vol. 2" (Apogee)

ARMSTRONG: "Well, we have a couple of comments we'll get into sometime later with respect to television, but with respect to it's operation, it's unquestionably a magnificent little piece of equipment. However, you cannot operate it without any planning at all. You do have to think about whether the vehicle is rotating or not, in what area you are going to take pictures, where the lighting is going to be from, and through what windows, and all that sort of thing. This takes some planning to enable you to assure yourself that you are going to get a good TV picture of whatever you decided you are going to take a picture of."

COLLINS: "That's right, and the monkey is on the back of the crew, functioning as script writer, producer, and actor, for the daily television shows. We had no time nor inclination preflight to plan these things out so they were all sort of spur of the moment shows. And maybe that's a good way to do business and maybe that's not. I don't know. Maybe other flights with perhaps more time to devote to this should give some thought to what has previously been done and what are the best things to cover and when is the best time to present them. The next crew should spend a simulator session working out things like angles and light and what have you."

ALDRIN: "There is no doubt that you want to do it right, because there's a big audience looking on."

ARMSTRONG: "It inspires you a little bit when all of a sudden you have about 10 minutes left to go for a scheduled TV broadcast and the ground says there are 200 million people waiting to see you. They're all watching. Now what are you going to be showing?"

COLLINS: "We're trying to paint the picture of having this highly trained professional crew performing like amateurs. They don't know where to place the camera or what to do or what to say. It hasn't been well worked out. I feel uncomfortable about this."

ARMSTRONG: "It's just fortunate that the camera is as good as it is and it compensates for the inabilities of the operators."

ALDRIN: "I think that some of the better things we did were just monitoring and just trying things out before we got to the point of putting on the show. I think there is the ability of people on the ground to see what's coming across, look at it, select what they want, and then assemble it together and release it. I'm sure everyone wants to have a real-time picture and voice along with it, but you're going to suffer somewhat in the quality you get. For example, activity in the LM, when we were just trying to see how it was working. All of a sudden we found that we were going out live and we were completely happy with that. This was one of the better shows we did."

ARMSTRONG: "I agree with that, but on the other hand there is another side to that discussion that doesn't involve somebody thinking about how that situation can be handled. We can put out something that the agency is willing to stand behind and can be proud of without the crew having to make a lot of last-minute quick guesses as to what they ought to be doing."