PDA

View Full Version : Names of stars in Felis?

catloaf
2012-Feb-01, 10:42 PM
I've checked Google, albeit superficially, but I'm unable to find a listing of star names associated with the former constellation of Felis.

Would someone kindly recommend an ephemeris which would have this information?

Marakai
2012-Feb-01, 10:48 PM
I wish I could help! Are you trying to name a litter? :D

Will pay close attention to any answers you get for future reference of my own.

Jeff Root
2012-Feb-02, 12:51 AM
Alas, no real "named" stars in Felis. A book I have shows
six stars delineating the little constellation, only three of
which have names: G, Ru, and Hn 101, apparently in the
modern constellation Hydra.

The constellation was created by La Lande in 1805, just
because he liked cats.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

catloaf
2012-Feb-02, 01:24 AM
I wish I could help! Are you trying to name a litter? :D

Nah, had a passing fancy to create an extrasolar planetary system with its worlds named for cats of Earth. Garfield with its moons of Pooky, Odie and Jon, Felix being barely Terran friendly and so on. Only astronomical object of the feline persuasion is the Cat's Eye Nebula.

Jeff Root
2012-Feb-02, 01:32 AM
Lynx, for which I wanted to provide links, but I'm too
sleepy now to do anything that might involve using my
brain.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Marakai
2012-Feb-02, 02:20 AM
Nah, had a passing fancy to create an extrasolar planetary system with its worlds named for cats of Earth. Garfield with its moons of Pooky, Odie and Jon, Felix being barely Terran friendly and so on. Only astronomical object of the feline persuasion is the Cat's Eye Nebula.

Well, if any of the star in Felis are "close enough" and of the right type, nothing stops you from having valiant space explorers/settlers naming the star and planets they've arrived at according to their own whim! :)

Sadly thought, Felix is no longer a valid constellation, which I think is a scandal!

loglo
2012-Feb-02, 02:57 AM
Well, if any of the star in Felis are "close enough" and of the right type, nothing stops you from having valiant space explorers/settlers naming the star and planets they've arrived at according to their own whim! :)

Sadly thought, Felix is no longer a valid constellation, which I think is a scandal!

Yes, it is a total cat atrophy.

Marakai
2012-Feb-02, 04:02 AM
Yes, it is a total cat atrophy.

Maybe we should not have hiss trionics over it.

EDG
2012-Feb-02, 12:14 PM
This is quite the fascinating list of obsolete constellations: http://www.pa.msu.edu/people/horvatin/Astronomy_Facts/obsolete_constellations.htm

I had no idea about any of these (I thought we had an Apis already, but then discovered I was thinking of Apus, the Bird of Paradise).

It's a shame we don't have Quadrans anymore though, then we'd have the full set of Quadrans, Sextans and Octans in the sky!

Can you imagine what modern constellations we'd come up with? I'll apologise for my terribly made-up latin, but we could have:

"Hadronicus Collisio Major" - a great circle of stars wrapping around the whole sky (maybe intersecting the Large Magellanic cloud, which would be where the beams collide!)
"Ipodia" (the music player). I guess you could have Ipodia major for the Ipod, and Ipodia minor for the nano... Though other factions of astronomers may prefer to call it Sandiskia or Zunia ;).
"Abacus" (the - slightly outdated - computer)
"Magnum Rem" - a "Big Thing" (a bunch of random stars connected together. I got that from an old Not the Nine O'Clock News calendar!),
"Lumina" (the light bulb).

Any others? ;)

Marakai
2012-Feb-02, 11:58 PM
"Ipodia" (the music player). I guess you could have Ipodia major for the Ipod, and Ipodia minor for the nano... Though other factions of astronomers may prefer to call it Sandiskia or Zunia ;).

Oh dear. Imagine if you named it Ipadia - and then the disputes why it wasn't called Androidicus, which would make the "Pluto is not a planet! It is SO!" look like child's play.

catloaf
2012-Feb-06, 04:25 PM
Lynx, for which I wanted to provide links

Links for Lynx. Heh.