PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Mars

TimberWolf
2004-Aug-06, 12:46 PM
Hello,

I have heard of two primary models that planetologists have about the ancient Martian climate. It seems that there is debate over whether Mars had a short, wet past or a long wet past. Is there any new evidence for or against either model? From what I gather from the news, the Gusev crater shows mineral evidence of water.

Does this evidence point to the extent that water flowed on the surface and how recent this was?

Cordially,

TimberWolf

Glom
2004-Aug-06, 04:20 PM
So we are pretty certain it was wet?

jt-3d
2004-Aug-07, 12:17 AM
I'm still not convinced but I'm nobody.

um3k
2004-Aug-07, 12:18 AM
I'm still not convinced but I'm nobody.
How could you possibly not think there were once large bodies of liquid water on Mars? Haven't you seen the pictures?

Chip
2004-Aug-07, 02:22 AM
I know this doesn't directly pertain to the area on Mars under question, but didn't Valles Marineris (the largest canyon in the solar system,) form primarily from gradual water erosion? :-k

2004-Aug-07, 03:49 AM
I know this doesn't directly pertain to the area on Mars under question, but didn't Valles Marineris (the largest canyon in the solar system,) form primarily from gradual water erosion?
From a NASA site (http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mep/science/vm.html):

Most researchers agree that Valles Marineris is a large tectonic "crack" in the Martian crust, forming as the planet cooled, affected by the rising crust in the Tharsis region to the west, and subsequently widened by erosional forces. However, near the eastern flanks of the rift there appear to be some channels that may have been formed by water.

um3k
2004-Aug-07, 04:12 AM
I know this doesn't directly pertain to the area on Mars under question, but didn't Valles Marineris (the largest canyon in the solar system,) form primarily from gradual water erosion? :-k
You mean the largest known canyon in the solar system, right?

Chip
2004-Aug-07, 06:14 AM
You mean the largest known canyon in the solar system, right?

Yup. With me that's "a given." :wink:

(Thanks um3k, and 01101001)

Glom
2004-Aug-07, 10:37 AM
It's now official though. (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15567)