PDA

View Full Version : Conjunction Venus-Uranus

ricci70
2012-Feb-05, 02:21 PM
After the conjunction of last month with Neptune this time will be with Uranus, with Venus at only 0.3 from Uranus in the evening of the day 9 February.

www.pierpaoloricci.it/eventi/venere-urano_eng.htm

Saluki
2012-Feb-09, 10:27 PM
What is Uranus' current magnitude? Will it be visible to naked eye? Binoculars?

Glom
2012-Feb-13, 09:22 PM
I noticed Venus that night (or was it Saturday) due to the ensuing blindness, but only new Uranus was there because of my sky chart app.

Robert Tulip
2012-Feb-14, 12:42 AM
What is Uranus' current magnitude? Will it be visible to naked eye? Binoculars?

Uranus is at the very limit of naked eye visibility. You need keen vision and dark skies. The location close to Venus last week put it in the evening, when sky is less dark. The brightness of Venus next to it also made it impossible to see without binoculars. Uranus has already moved a lot closer to the sun in apparent position since passing Venus last week. Paths are shown here (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/126321-Planetary-Positions-2012).

Warren Platts
2012-Feb-14, 02:08 AM
You guys are crackin' me up! lol!

Swift
2012-Feb-14, 02:47 AM
You guys are crackin' me up! lol!
Warren Platts,

Please leave the non-sequitur "funny" comments out of otherwise serious threads.

gadieid
2012-Feb-14, 12:00 PM
Hi. Due to clouds I didn't observe last Thursday, but I tired on Saturday night. Uranus was 1.5 deg under Venus, Easily spotted and when magnified 140X, was a little disc with noticeable greenish hue (It looked better not focused). This was done with a William Optics 70mm refractor. Seeing was too poor so I did not bother to use my 130mm newt.

jfribrg
2012-Feb-14, 02:46 PM
I got a look at it through my terrestrial scope (2.5" refractor). Being near a large city, it is never even close to a naked eye object for me and the fact that it was getting close to the horizon didn't help. Even at 50X, it was still rather faint, but nonetheless it was nice seeing the two planet in the same field of view.