PDA

View Full Version : Aloysius Snuffleupagus spotted in Siberia

NEOWatcher
2012-Feb-10, 06:13 PM
Viral video claims to show woolly mammoth alive in Siberia (http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/viral-video-claims-to-show-woolly-mammoth-alive-in-siberia)

Before you get too deep, let me warn you of the source.

The video was obtained by The Sun newspaper in England

To me, it looks like it could be just about any large mammal carrying something in it's mouth. Most likely a bear that just caught a salmon.

Swift
2012-Feb-10, 06:25 PM
I like the part in the video where they capture his call and he is heard to say, in a very deep voice, "hello, Bird". :D

NEOWatcher
2012-Feb-10, 06:33 PM
I like the part in the video where they capture his call and he is heard to say, in a very deep voice, "hello, Bird". :D
I don't see that in either video. Where is it at?

Although; before I made the OP, I did not see the newscast, and just read the text and watched the source video. After looking in the newscast video, I was glad to see I wasn't the only one to think bear with a fish.

Gillianren
2012-Feb-10, 08:19 PM
Can I congratulate you on knowing Snuffy's first name?

NEOWatcher
2012-Feb-10, 08:28 PM
No, I got lucky. Even if I knew his first name, I would have spelled it wrong.

I knew there had to be a woolly mammoth character with a name so I just googled "woolly mammoth character" and he was near the top.

BigDon
2012-Feb-10, 09:13 PM
Well, unless mammoths had silver trunks, it's a bear with a salmon's head in its mouth.

This vein of woo isn't even worth the electrons it's printed on.

Perikles
2012-Feb-10, 09:46 PM
The Sun newspaper That is an oxymoron.

PetersCreek
2012-Feb-10, 10:26 PM
Sure looks like a bear with a salmonid in its mouth to me...at least that's what they look like up here. I think I might even see something that it did in the woods.

ravens_cry
2012-Feb-10, 10:36 PM
I'm going with the bear theory, but it would be really cool if it was real.

NEOWatcher
2012-Feb-14, 06:19 PM
Woolly mammoth video debunked (http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/46379716/#46379716) (msnbc video)
The debunking is that some videographer made a video of the river that looks just like the hoaxed mammoth.
That's the kind of argument a hoaxer would use in the first place.

It still looks like a bear to me.

Fazor
2012-Feb-14, 07:12 PM
I do give the anchor credit for being very lighthearted about it, and basically laughing at the mammoth claim rather than playing up the "Oh my gosh it's so mysterious!" thing. And even saying "Some say it looks like a bear with a salmon in it's mouth, which is much more likely don't you think?"

Alan G. Archer
2012-Feb-14, 09:11 PM
Well, that's it, Michael Cohen has let us down once again.

An excerpt from Cohen's email response, with a few grammatical corrections by I:

...Obviously a percentage of such videos are going to be fake however that should [not] lead to the messenger being shot. I [see a] number of journalists in the media seek[ing] to promote a soulless, scientific worldview that will ultimately lead to the human race becoming nothing more than a bunch of wage earning robots....

Source: "Woolly Mammoth Video a ‘Mammoth Lie’: Filmmaker (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/02/woolly-mammoth-video-a-mammoth-lie-filmmaker/)," by Edward Lovett, ABC News, Feb. 14, 2012.

Fazor
2012-Feb-14, 09:39 PM
Uh . . . that statement is so ridiculous, I don't know where to start! First, the idea that "limiting journalism to cold, *boring* facts will make society a bunch of mindless robots" is . . . well, quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Well, except for the assertion that journalism is so rigid about reporting only "scientific" views. Gods, if only the media actually reported some facts, I'd be a lot happier when I watch the news!

NEOWatcher
2012-Feb-15, 12:58 PM
...and basically laughing at the mammoth claim rather than playing up the "Oh my gosh it's so mysterious!" thing.
But; since this is a follow-up story, I don't give a lot of credit for that. I'm sure they started with the "OMG" angle at first to get you to follow the story.

...Obviously a percentage of such videos are going to be fake however that should [not] lead to the messenger being shot.
So; they know it could be fake, yet air it as it is most likely true... Yes, the messenger is at fault.

... I [see a] number of journalists in the media seek[ing] to promote a soulless, scientific worldview...
Where? I'd tune in to that as long as the facts are presented. Let my soul determine where it should go based on the information.

...that will ultimately lead to the human race becoming nothing more than a bunch of wage earning robots....
Instead, they become nothing but a bunch of media inspired opnionated robots.

These people do all they can to take away any mystery or anything metaphysical out of peoples lives.
Quite the opposite. They do anything to make a mystery for ratings.

SeanF
2012-Feb-15, 02:27 PM
Too bad the animal in the video is walking through water. I imagine if we could more clearly see its front legs bending, that'd be a pretty significant clue.