PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth

AKONI
2012-Feb-12, 05:51 PM
I just listened to the entire album from front to back today and I have to say this definitely stands up to their past work with Roth. The best thing they did was reach back for songs they wrote in their prime.

It's better than 1984 and Diver Down and stands on par with Van Halen II. Hell, if not for pure nostalgia getting in the way I would say this is better than Van Halen II

As Is is a serious kick butt track! If you don't like the song Tattoo don't worry, it doesn't sound like the rest of the album. They must have done that one for radio.

If you're an old time VH fan you will not be disappointed by this new release.

Rhaedas
2012-Feb-12, 05:54 PM
Good to know. I had heard Tattoo and wasn't all that impressed really. Why do they release as a first song (or even put on the album) that don't have a lot to them?

Personally while I like most VH across the years, I really like the songs from the Hagar years the best, if nothing else because they seem to have more lyrical value.

novaderrik
2012-Feb-13, 03:49 AM
i've heard a few of the songs, and my impression is that it's a bunch of old guys trying to sound like they did when they were young guys.

that never works.

Doodler
2012-Feb-13, 04:33 AM
I dunno, Tattoo definitely reaches back to the later days of David Lee's first run with the band in terms of sound. Not surprising, when he collaborated with the guys on Me Wise Magic on their greatest hits album, he showed he still had it. He just needed his ego in check (and Valerie Bertanelli kicked to the curb).

AKONI
2012-Feb-13, 05:21 AM
i've heard a few of the songs, and my impression is that it's a bunch of old guys trying to sound like they did when they were young guys.

that never works.

That's sort of what the last Kiss cd, Sonic Boom, sounded like to me (then again Paul Stanley writes as if he's still competing with Bon Jovi for record sales in 1987 instead of remembering how he wrote songs in the 70's), but I don't see it here. I think Van Halen's execution on their new release is nearly flawless. Heart was able to do the same thing a few years ago, but with much less media attention and what will probably in the end amount to lower sales.

Sometimes a band can reach back and remember where they came from, and recapture it simply because it's still inside them. Queen accomplished this with their last cd Innuendo before Freddie died, dusting off the crud they had accumulated during the 80's when record executives turned rock music into a cookie cutter machine