PDA

View Full Version : Auroral Displays

RJ Emery
2012-Feb-13, 05:43 AM
An article at Science News (http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/338026/title/Solar_storm) is titled "Solar flare sets off auroras around the Arctic Circle." Would not any solar storm that causes the Aurora Borealis also cause a nearly equivalent display of the Aurora Australis?

Jens
2012-Feb-13, 06:36 AM
Yes, I think it would. Probably the reason the article doesn't mention is is simply that there are very few people able to see the one in the south. That's my guess.

eburacum45
2012-Feb-13, 07:13 AM
Bear in mind that the south pole is tilted towards the Sun at this time of year, so the Aurora Australis would not be visible due to daylight.

RJ Emery
2012-Feb-13, 11:44 AM
Regardless of season, I would expect the phenomenon to be visible in the high southern latitudes of Antarctica, South America, New Zealand and Australia.

eburacum45
2012-Feb-13, 12:18 PM
Yes; it should be visible north of the Antarctic circle, if it ventures that far.

tusenfem
2012-Feb-13, 06:36 PM
Basically, the aurora borealis and australis are mirror images, albeit that if you zoom in they may differ in the small scale details.

astromark
2012-Feb-13, 07:12 PM
Auroral Displays.. are more or less equal in the hemisphere's.. Northern, Southern..

as has been covered. The summer time, winter time light allows or prohibits good observation details..

What we can see is governed by light levels and whether there is anyone to see it..

Planet Earth's Van elan belts direct energised sub atomic particles equally to the poles of the magnetic sphere..

Harmless and pretty.. From New Zealand's most southern city. Invercargill. At about 46.6 south..

Some very spectacular nights in the winter months.. The summer time night hardly lets the lights be seen..