PDA

View Full Version : Finding Locations to view the Venus Transit

AutoBoof
2012-Feb-16, 04:34 PM
I plan on observing the Venus Transit in June this year. I am in the US, so it will be a sunset event.

I believe I need a clear western horizon, and that the sun will be setting 30 degrees north of west in June (is this accurate?)

I guess my main question is whats the best way to gauge how high up the in the sky the sun will be when the event begins? Will it be visible over some trees if I can't find a clear spot?

If anyone has any tips to finding a good spot to view the transit please share. Feel free to correct me if I stated anything incorrectly.

Thanks,
Chris

dtsh
2012-Feb-16, 04:51 PM
I don't know your exact location, but I entered Atlanta GA into Stellarium and set the date to 2012-06-05 and at around 17:00 (5PM) localtime the transit should be beginning. Here's hoping for clear skies!

If you haven't heard of Stellarium, it is a free open-source planetarium program.

Tog
2012-Feb-16, 04:54 PM
Starmap Pro says that for Atlanta, first contact will be at about 6:05 PM on June 5th. The sun will be at 279* AZ and about 29* elevation.
The sun will set at abut 298* az at 8:43 PM.

I suggest you get confirmation though. I don't know how accurate my program really is.

Centaur
2012-Feb-16, 07:30 PM
I plan on observing the Venus Transit in June this year. I am in the US, so it will be a sunset event.

I believe I need a clear western horizon, and that the sun will be setting 30 degrees north of west in June (is this accurate?)

I guess my main question is whats the best way to gauge how high up the in the sky the sun will be when the event begins? Will it be visible over some trees if I can't find a clear spot?

If anyone has any tips to finding a good spot to view the transit please share. Feel free to correct me if I stated anything incorrectly.

Thanks,
Chris

I've created Venus transit preview graphics for 44 cities that include Atlanta and sunset times: www.CurtRenz.com/venustransit . On June 5 for Atlanta the Sun will set at azimuth 298.3, i.e. 28.3 to the right (north) of due west.

astromark
2012-Feb-16, 08:28 PM
Much will be written of this up coming event..

and knowing that I will not see it again makes for a want of a clear sky..

The mild and settled weather pattern might be a good start.

From Ten fifteen to Four thirty we have a good chance of a clear view...

New Zealand is well placed for a clear view.. BUT,

Early June could be just as clear or cloudy.. or just plain ugly.

Oh please on this day could we NOT have a seamless grey sky..

That would be a disappointment..

What is the history of that date. . . 60% chance of clear sky...

I will arrange to be not working that day.

I will open the Ward Observatory for the daylight viewing..

We have a solar filter for the Cook Telescope. It could be a great day..

AutoBoof
2012-Feb-16, 10:18 PM
Thanks for everyone's responses. I am pretty excited about it, and hoping for clear skies as well.

I just ordered a bunch of solar filter material so I can make some solar viewing glasses to give to my friends who will still be at work or don't have a telescope.

I was thinking of using a toilet paper roll capped with the film, anyone have a better method for an easy to make zero magnification solar viewing device?

Thanks again,
Chris

astropaz
2012-Feb-17, 09:33 AM
I have read of numerous people who have found and booked accomodation in Cairns, Australia. But as astromark the weather up in Nth East Queensland is not desireable, It's the middle of the wet season up there. I hope that these people don't get too much of a disappointment.

For me the transit will be well underway when the sun rises and I will either have to scout a location with a good view because at home it's non existent or we have talked about taking a sort trip to somewhere like Tromso, Norway but I fear we may have left booking a bit late.