PDA

View Full Version : I hate weekends!

Trebuchet
2012-Feb-18, 01:50 AM
This is a rather unexpected (and fairly minor, I must admit) side effect of my retirement a couple of years ago. Saturday and Sunday are now pretty much like any other day except that I can't get my full first-thing-in-the-morning fix of webcomics and blogs. No XKCD. No Pibgorn. Usually no CakeWrecks on Saturday. (Sunday Sweets, however, do kind of make up for that.) No Questionable Content. And worst of all, lately, no Sailor Twain. It's bad enough having to wait one day for the MWF ones, two is darn near intolerable.

Anyone else have this problem?

Selenite
2012-Feb-18, 02:15 AM

This working stiffette weeps for you. ;)

danscope
2012-Feb-18, 03:55 AM
I'm just as busy since I retired. Work on my Daughter's home, my home, baby sitting, check-ups etc etc etc. I can't wait for golf season so I can pare off a day for moi . ......Really :) Ah well, press on .

Dan

Gillianren
2012-Feb-18, 07:56 AM
I sympathize, Treb. Though Darths & Droids does update on Sundays, Saturdays online are very dull.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Feb-18, 11:20 AM
I know, it's really hard to get through the weekend when it's only Schlock Mercenary, Evil Inc., Dilbert, B.C., Andy Capp, Doonesbury, Calvin and Hobbes, Non Sequitur, 9 Chickweed Lane, Zits, Hagar, Beetle Bailey, Pros and Cons, Pirana Club, The Buckets and Sheldon that have new strips.

I mean, that's only 32% of the ones I read regularly so I'm feeling really deprived. :)

geonuc
2012-Feb-18, 12:47 PM

I don't hate weekends, but I now hate you. ;)

danscope
2012-Feb-18, 07:51 PM
Apreciate your weekends. There are those serving in the armed forces that have the entire week as one big blurr all the time.
You know, SSN stands for Saturdays, Sundays, Nights .

Been there, done that, got the teeshirt and the jacket patch.

Buttercup
2012-Feb-18, 08:08 PM
I used to hate weekends too, only because I've got to keep busy and there wasn't enough to keep me busy.

Then the software program changed (dramatically) in my work ... and it's so tedious that I'm glad to get a break from it. Although generally by mid-Monday (the 2nd day of my "weekend"), I'm ready to return to work.

Trebuchet
2012-Feb-19, 04:24 PM
Ugh. Last night at bedtime, feeling pretty tired, I decided to check a couple of my favorites to see if they'd been posted yet before turning in. Not even realizing it was only Saturday, and I was looking for the Monday comics.

Donnie B.
2012-Feb-19, 08:05 PM
Well, Oglaf updates ONLY on Sundays.

Trebuchet
2012-Feb-20, 02:24 AM
Oops, I'd forgotten that one. Was a link from QC, I think. There's another hour wasted.

(NSFW, by the way. That probably also applies to Sailor Twain.)

Tensor
2012-Feb-20, 03:31 AM
Nah, I try to keep busy enough that I don't notice, although sometimes, when I'm forced to take it easy.... If I remember correctly, you, at least had time to plan for it. Mine was, working one day, not working the next, and went on to a medical retirement from there, at 53. There was no planning, no preparation, just no working. It took a long time to adjust to that. Although I think it took my wife longer to adjust to having me around all the time.

Oh, and danscope I had the military thing, also. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, campaign ribbons, jacket patches and pick up the disabilities that caused the civilian medical retirement.

Gillianren
2012-Feb-20, 04:05 AM
I'd also note that it's pretty quiet around here on weekends. What are all you people doing who don't understand how bored we are?

danscope
2012-Feb-20, 04:46 AM
My wife and I have been enjoying several vhs tapes titled " A Year in Provence " . We find it hysterical and just wonderfuly filmed. A glass of ruby port and some apple pie with cheese round out the festivities. We found the tapes in an antique shop in Putnam, Connecticut Saturday . Good fun, what.

Best regards,
Dan

Trebuchet
2012-Feb-20, 05:13 AM
Ahhh, Monday's Sailor Twain is up. That's better. For newcomers, please go all the way to the first strip and read through. Unlike most comics, it's a story with a beginning, a middle, and pretty soon now, an end.

DonM435
2012-Feb-20, 06:17 AM
Lately, the rare three-day weekends, like this, make for the only tolerable Sundays. Here I sit, at 1:17 a.m., and it's no big deal. I'll pay for it on Tuesday morning, though.

Donnie B.
2012-Feb-20, 03:24 PM
I just discovered "Minion", a very well-drawn (and pretty funny) complete, 6-issue comic. It's a twist on the supervillain trope. Worth a look:

http://www.meetmyminion.com/?p=5

Only problem is, I started reading "Wizard School" on the same site, but it's nowhere near complete... :(

John Mendenhall
2012-Feb-21, 02:25 AM
I'd also note that it's pretty quiet around here on weekends. What are all you people doing who don't understand how bored we are?

Run book and music stand at flea market (swap meet, for those west of Mississippi River). Set up Thursday night. Spend 60 hours of next 72 buying and selling. Pack up Sunday night. Spend rest of week recovering. Do it again.

Gillianren
2012-Feb-21, 05:49 AM
So about the same thing my faire boss does with his weekends. Though he spends the week making merchandise, so it's a rare thing indeed to hear from him online at all!

ggremlin
2012-Feb-21, 06:55 AM
What is the odd thing called "Weekends" of which you speak?

Fazor
2012-Feb-21, 05:06 PM
'Foxtrot' *only* updates on Sundays now, so there's that. But yes, I don't do much web browsing on the weekends. Even the news outlets, both local and national, don't update short of some major* event. What annoys me most is getting up on Monday mornings and trying to catch up on the news, and only finding the same articles that were posted early in the day Friday.

*major as the media defines it, which oft does not mesh with my personal definition of a major event.

pumpkinpie
2012-Feb-21, 07:08 PM
A weekend for me means the comfort of knowing that if my son or I get sick I don't have to miss work. This works only for quick-recovery illnesses of course. But we tend to get a lot of those. Two weeks ago he got a stomach bug that lasted half a day. If it were during the school week, he would have had to come home and stay home the next day. It would have been two days of work missed. Then I got it the next weekend, and was better by Monday.

Gillianren
2012-Feb-21, 08:35 PM
That was almost certainly food poisoning. You probably wouldn't have had it during the week, because you probably eat differently.

DonM435
2012-Feb-22, 03:01 AM
A weekend for me means the comfort of knowing that if my son or I get sick I don't have to miss work. This works only for quick-recovery illnesses of course. But we tend to get a lot of those. Two weeks ago he got a stomach bug that lasted half a day. If it were during the school week, he would have had to come home and stay home the next day. It would have been two days of work missed. Then I got it the next weekend, and was better by Monday.

Interesting. If I'm feeling ill on a Thursday, I have to think about trying to get a doctor appointment right away, as our plan's physician doesn't have office hours on Sunday, Saturday or Friday. Their office will always say that they have an opening in 10-14 days (of course, I'll be fully recovered or dead by then), so I have to grovel and ask them to squeeze me in. It's a great system.

Fazor
2012-Feb-22, 02:40 PM
That was almost certainly food poisoning. You probably wouldn't have had it during the week, because you probably eat differently. That's what I was thinking as well.

pumpkinpie
2012-Feb-22, 03:21 PM
That's what I was thinking as well.

Probably not food poisoning. It was going around my son's day care all week. Kids and parents and teachers would throw up a few times, and then be better within a day or two. I don't think it's a coincidence that a dozen people all got food poisoning within one week! Especially if no one ate the same food. At school, the only thing they share are things like crackers or cookies. Everything else is brought from home.