PDA

View Full Version : Warp Drives May Come With a Killer Downside

Fraser
2012-Feb-29, 11:30 PM
Planning a little space travel to see some friends on Kepler 22b? Thinking of trying out your newly-installed FTL3000 Alcubierre Warp Drive to get you there in no time? Better not make it a surprise visit — your arrival may end up disintegrating anyone there when you show up. (...)Read the rest of Warp Drives [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/93882/warp-drives-may-come-with-a-killer-downside/)

BigDon
2012-Mar-08, 05:31 PM
The authors of this paper are obviously niether cooks nor sailors.

Probably the same principle here.

If I have to stir a pot that's too full, let's say with rice, I use a big fork. It gets stirred the same and nothing gets spilled.

If I want to go really, really fast on the water I use a hydrofoil. Minimal contact with the water's surface, very little wake relative to the size and speed of the vessal.

So...how much of your spaceship actually needs to be in "hyperspace" if the rest of it is firmly attached?

ravens_cry
2012-Mar-08, 05:55 PM
You know, you could just make sure that you're not pointed at anything important when you stop with basically anything in the path of the mega death beam a 'no fly zone'.
Of course, it would mean that FTL flight would be intensely regulated, as this could be weaponized so very easily.