PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just love de ja vu?

Buttercup
2012-Mar-02, 05:09 PM
It was, a moment ago, the phone ringing when it did ... this particular report I'm transcribing ... having just sent a PM to a friend here ... quality of the daylight ... other factors.

Seems it's happened exactly this way before.

Guess there's been a mild glitch in The Matrix. ;)

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Mar-02, 05:23 PM
What's that again?

Jim
2012-Mar-02, 05:31 PM
Haven't we had this discussion before?

Rhaedas
2012-Mar-02, 05:31 PM
One thing about deja vu is the difficulty of remembering when the past occurrence happened. You sense at the time that you think the exact situation was repeated, but can you remember when that was?

I actually had one just yesterday at work. Seemed to be three different things happening in sequence. Now, those things do happen just about every day, but something in memory got jogged to think, hey, I've seen this happen already.

Silly pattern matching evolved brain.

Fazor
2012-Mar-02, 07:10 PM
Haven't we had this discussion before?

That's what I was thinking. (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129096-Don-t-you-just-love-de-ja-vu) ;)

Buttercup
2012-Mar-02, 07:14 PM
That's what I was thinking. (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129096-Don-t-you-just-love-de-ja-vu) ;)

Great minds think alike!

think alike! :lol:

Extrasolar
2012-Mar-02, 07:32 PM
I think I heard once that our brains receive two independent sources of input, and when one is slightly delayed for whatever reason, the experience can seem like a memory. Stupid brains.

Buttercup
2012-Mar-02, 07:39 PM
I think I heard once that our brains receive two independent sources of input, and when one is slightly delayed for whatever reason, the experience can seem like a memory. Stupid brains.

Hmmmm, cool. :) I've never heard of that before.

I think my brain receives 4 different sources of input. :rolleyes:

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-02, 08:15 PM
Hmmmm, cool. :) I've never heard of that before.
Same here. I wonder if that could be studied somehow.

I think my brain receives 4 different sources of input. :rolleyes:
I think I only get the 2, but my brain might be generating its own too.

Perikles
2012-Mar-02, 08:34 PM
I think my brain receives 4 different sources of input. I imagine that the female brain receives millions more sources of input than any male could perceive. :D

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-03, 08:31 AM
From what I remember, it's not two sources of input, but two paths taken by the same input, one a straight dump to short term memory and one through processing for correlation with previous experiences, if the latter lakes longer than the former, it will find a memory of what just occurred to match with.

Usher
2012-Mar-03, 08:46 AM
From what I remember, it's not two sources of input, but two paths taken by the same input, one a straight dump to short term memory and one through processing for correlation with previous experiences, if the latter lakes longer than the former, it will find a memory of what just occurred to match with.

No need to repeat yourself.