PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions about the Raspberry Pi?

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-05, 03:55 PM
I'd heard it mentioned recently, but didn't know what it was until I read an article in the Metro (free newspaper given away on UK trains).

To my mind, it sounds like an excellent way to get into programming without getting bogged down in all the complicated side issues that come with computers these days.

Has anybody bought one? Love it? Hate it?

grapes
2012-Mar-05, 04:43 PM
http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

What’s a Raspberry Pi?

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.

John Jaksich
2012-Mar-05, 05:26 PM
http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. Itís a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.

Although I personally don't have one---it looks like a winner from the standpoint of a so-called electronic kit to build-upon. The fact that an O/S is Fedora and will use Python to build further programming skills sounds good to me.

The only draw-back is for those who (I might suspect would have a more devious purposes in mind) would use it for purposes other than it would be intended.

That might be considered to be the anti-thesis of it's intentions IMHO :(

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-05, 09:54 PM
I was thinking of starting a thread about it too, asking if folks had any plans to try it. Right now apparently it's very hard to get units from the first run and it will be awhile before they can meet demand. I can definitely see it or others like it becoming popular for just being cheap intelligence for low cost projects. It's in the same price range as some microcontroller boards used for embedded projects, and it looks like this could be used for some embedded projects as well (it has a set of general purpose IO pins) but its focus appears to be more for use as a conventional computer than as a microcontroller. This is an impressively powerful computer for the price, especially since it can be programmed conventionally and has a real OS. This could be great for do-it-yourself projects. It looks like it could make a really nice home automation controller, for instance. Or, another example, I have an old Nutone intercom system, and this is cheap enough I could replace each room station with its own computer.

Anyway, I could see this becoming popular for a lot more than as inexpensive educational computers (though that's great too).

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-05, 10:40 PM
The operating system is of interest - I'm planning on doing a short Linux course with the Open University in May.

I used to write embedded C, and want to get back into that.

But, as you say, demand is outstripping supply, so I'll have to wait.

slang
2012-Mar-05, 11:20 PM
Only one opinion, Paul... they didn't make nearly enough! A bunch of co-workers and me all want one... I want one!

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-06, 12:09 AM
Only one opinion, Paul... they didn't make nearly enough! A bunch of co-workers and me all want one... I want one!

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a hit on their hands, or if others that aren't non-profits will do similar things. I noticed on the site they mention an add-on called the Gertboard that ties in through the GPIO lines, and has an AVR microcontroller. The idea there is that the AVR can be used for embedded control and read functions, like infrared, which aren't so easy to do on the RPi, with the multitasking OS layer. That adds a bit more to the price, but gives some room for some really impressive electronics projects in a small, still inexpensive package.

Solfe
2012-Mar-26, 03:02 AM
I am late to the thread, but I am waiting for the next run with a case.

More importantly, I am really waiting for my tax refund so I can get a nice flat panel TV that the Pi would plug into. My current TV is ancient.

I would love to be able to connect one of these to the TV so when my kids go into homework avoidance mode, turning on the TV will show a webpage saying "No! Get out your homework! Click here for a list of your assignments." That would be worth $25 all on its own.