PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter & Venus - coming together

7he4uthor
2012-Mar-06, 04:16 AM
As I track Venus & Jupiter by eye in the sky I see them potentially on a course to meet
[from earth line of sight]

Will they meet ?
When ?

slang
2012-Mar-06, 05:37 PM
As I track Venus & Jupiter by eye in the sky I see them potentially on a course to meet

Will they meet ?
When ?

Welcome to BAUT, 7he4uthor. I think what you mean by "meet" is called in astronomy a "conjunction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjunction_%28astronomy_and_astrology%29)". Google "jupiter venus conjunction 2012" and the second hit is Best Venus-Jupiter conjunction in years in mid-March 2012 (http://earthsky.org/tonight/best-venusjupiter-conjunction-in-years-mid-march-2012).

ETA: Oops, you've been here a couple of months already.

Robert Tulip
2012-Mar-08, 09:01 PM
The conjunction will be closest on 15 March. After that Jupiter rapidly falls from view, passing behind the sun in mid May, while Venus remains visible in the evening sky until early June, as shown at Planetary Positions 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/126321-Planetary-Positions-2012).

Centaur
2012-Mar-12, 12:00 AM

Will they meet ?
When ?

The tightest angular separation of 3.0 (breadth of six Full Moons) will come on March 13. That is also the date for conjunction as measured by ecliptical longitude in American time zones. As measured by right ascencsion, the date is March 15. On 2065 NOV 22, Venus will partially occult (cover) Jupiter, but this will occur only 8 west of the Sun.

Robert Tulip
2012-Mar-12, 08:43 PM
The tightest angular separation of 3.0 (breadth of six Full Moons) will come on March 13. That is also the date for conjunction as measured by ecliptical longitude in American time zones. As measured by right ascencsion, the date is March 15.

Ephemirides give universal time, so for an example like we have to add half a day in Asia and subtract half a day in America. Venus will remain high in the sky for another month while Jupiter steadily falls.

On 2065 NOV 22, Venus will partially occult (cover) Jupiter, but this will occur only 8 west of the Sun.A good reason to stay healthy and live to 102.

astromark
2012-Mar-12, 09:33 PM
Understanding.. and seeing the image.. are some times contradictory..

I watch the nightly motions of the planets and understand that what we see is only part of the story.

When talking of the motions of Jupiter. It's actual path around the solar mass is opposite to the observed motion.*

Earth's motion being much faster around that same mass paints a error of judgment apparent.

While in the foreground there is Venus slipping between Earth and the Sun..( 6th June.) What we see is real.

Plotting the path of Venus over a lengthy period soon reveals its actual motion.

The Morning star becomes the evening star and so on.

* Jupiter's motion from here is a little more complex..

We, observing from the surface of Earth see a confusing set of images.

For part of OUR year we catch up to and pass Jupiter and see it apparently reverse it's motion across the sky.

While as right now we are racing around the far side of the solar orbit. Nearly 180 deg away from conjunction.

We are all going around the central mass of the solar system in the same direction..

Jupiter's apparent motion is a illusion caused by the motion of Earth. Orbital velocity being the factor implied.

Running a program like 'Celestia' makes this explanation simple when viewed from greater distance point..

I used Saturn's position as my point of view. Hope this helps.. and 'Celestia' is free.