PDA

View Full Version : Disney Songwriter Dies

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-06, 06:16 PM
Songwriter Robert Sherman Dies at 86 (http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/55255142/63954307/Small_World_songwriter_Robert_Sherman_dies_at_86)

Anyone who grew up with the famous Disney movies will know his (and his brother's) songs. They are definitely memorable to me.

But; one comment in the article was a bit surprising to me:

--as well as the most-played tune on Earth"It's a Small World (After All)"--
I tried looking for this fact but couldn't find any clues to back it up.

I only know it as the most-heard but not played tune once you leave the ride. Or; one of the most haunting ear-worms known.

Gillianren
2012-Mar-06, 06:24 PM
Well, I suppose if you factor in that it's constantly playing on the ride, the ride exists in every park, and the ride is as old as it is, it's possible. Either way, it's sad news to me. I recently watched the movie about him and his brother, and it showed me just how much of the music of my childhood was written by them. Including the not-so-famous stuff; Summer Magic has always been a favourite of mine, if not anyone else.

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-06, 07:28 PM
Well, I suppose if you factor in that it's constantly playing on the ride...
Yes, I thought of that, and that probably is the answer. But; Somehow my mind wants to consider that irrelevant to the statement.
I wonder if there are some Muzak songs that may be high on the list with all the elevators in the world?

Gillianren
2012-Mar-06, 07:32 PM
Possibly. Just because it's on a loop doesn't mean each time around isn't an individual playing of the song.

BigDon
2012-Mar-06, 07:36 PM
Aww, what a bummer!

To this day I remember a trip to Disneyland I went on with 30 of my fellow sailors on a long road trip from Sandy Eggo.

By the time we got there fully half of us were in no condition to operate heavy machinery, including Yours Truely. (I knew Mr. Truely well, this wasn't like him.)

So we were taking in all the rides en masse and the It's A Small World ride breaks down with us in the middle. They had been announcing problems with the ride all day and then declared it fixed as we were passing on by.

So we went on in.

We were stuck about 80 percent through the ride, at the big clockwork castle area with all the different nations dancers, with no announcements or park reps showing up for twenty minutes.

Before we started singing along.

You people with stage experiance, how long do you suppose it takes thirty men singing loudly in an enclosed space before you gets some attention?

Two of the guys in our group had honest to goodness basso-profundo speaking voices and were sitting in the same car. They sounded like a singing avalanche of granite boulders.

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-06, 07:43 PM
We were stuck about 80 percent through the ride...
It figures you would top every anecdote I've heard about getting stuck on that ride. Why am I not surprised? ;)

When I was at Epcot, the Mexican pavillion had a similar ride (cutesy characters and music loop). But; that one wasn't a problem since you were able to bring your margarita on the ride with you. Nevertheless, I rode that ride quite often one hot day.

BigDon
2012-Mar-06, 07:47 PM
It figures you would top every anecdote I've heard about getting stuck on that ride. Why am I not surprised? ;)

When I was at Epcot, the Mexican pavillion had a similar ride (cutesy characters and music loop). But; that one wasn't a problem since you were able to bring your margarita on the ride with you. Nevertheless, I rode that ride quite often one hot day.

I didn't mention Pirates of the Carribean, after which the asked us politely to leave.

KaiYeves
2012-Mar-07, 12:28 AM
:sad:

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-08, 04:56 AM
--as well as the most-played tune on Earth"It's a Small World (After All)"--I tried looking for this fact but couldn't find any clues to back it up.
I would expect it to be the Windows start-up sound or the Nokia ring-tone.

Gillianren
2012-Mar-08, 07:11 AM
I guess it depends on what you count as a tune.

I discovered today that I had not yet gotten around to reviewing Mary Poppins and did so. It never ceases to amuse me that, although Pamela Travers wanted only period songs in the movie, she still talked Walt into keeping "Stay Awake."

swampyankee
2012-Mar-08, 10:39 AM
I didn't mention Pirates of the Carribean, after which the asked us politely to leave.

You have to start writing. The World needs you to start writing.

Jim
2012-Mar-08, 03:57 PM
... I discovered today that I had not yet gotten around to reviewing Mary Poppins and did so. ...

The day after Sherman's death, a local TV station - which runs Simpsons episodes M-F at 6:00 - ran Simpsonscalifragilisticexpiali(Annoyed Grunt)cious.

So...
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang
It's A Small World
Chim Chim Cher-ee

Yeah, good luck getting those out of your head the rest of the day!

BigDon
2012-Mar-08, 04:03 PM
The day after Sherman's death, a local TV station - which runs Simpsons episodes M-F at 6:00 - ran Simpsonscalifragilisticexpiali(Annoyed Grunt)cious.

So...
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang
It's A Small World
Chim Chim Cher-ee

Yeah, good luck getting those out of your head the rest of the day!

A popular South Park phrase, usually said after Kenny's death in every episode, comes to mind. :think:

Gillianren
2012-Mar-08, 07:32 PM
For what it's worth, I like "Chim Chim Cher-ee."