PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Pets for Cutness=Disasters for Owners and Pets?

Inclusa
2012-Mar-14, 06:45 AM
"Cuteness" contribute to large numbers of impulse pets, but so many people don't have ideas how to keep them.
Even as common as dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, and hamsters (just list a few really mainstream pets), calamity happens if owners do not
understand or care for them properly. I'm not too sure about including ferrets as mainstream pets, though.
The more exotic ones definitely need even more attention and understanding.
Some animals
Anyway, no matter how cute they are, certain animals only belong to the wild. As cute as red pandas, raccoons and squirrels look, they apparently
don't make good pets.

Trebuchet
2012-Mar-14, 03:32 PM
Potbellied Pigs. People bought them when they were small and cute. After a year or two, they find that having a 300 pound pig in the house wasn't such a good idea.

Perikles
2012-Mar-14, 03:43 PM
There was a long-running TV show in the UK called One Man and His Dog (?) which was a sheep-driving competition by one shepherd and one sheep dog. This led to the popularity of the Welsh sheepdog as a house pet. I had one too, but then I also had a sheep farm. Really cute dogs. I always thought that being a house pet was cruelty no matter how well you keep them, because a sheepdog of this breed needs a flock of sheep to drive, not a small flat in London.

P.S. How the heck can anybody find a pot-bellied pig cute? They are just hideous lumps of lard. That's why they survived in Vietnam, because no predator would touch them.

Jim
2012-Mar-14, 04:55 PM
Potbellied Pigs. People bought them when they were small and cute. After a year or two, they find that having a 300 pound pig in the house wasn't such a good idea.

I think it's how they are marketed, as miniature pot-bellied pigs. Meaning they only get to about 125-150 lbs.

Which, to a mastiff owner, probably does seem miniatrue.

Jim
2012-Mar-14, 05:06 PM
"Cuteness" contribute to large numbers of impulse pets, but so many people don't have ideas how to keep them.
Even as common as dogs, cats [are] calamity happens if owners do not understand or care for them properly.

I think I mentioned that I volunteer with a rescue group. I work at adoption events almost every weekend, and one thing we try hard to do is "vet" the prospective adopters, to be sure they understand the responsibilities of pet ownership and that they are not adopting on a whim.

Many people want a cute little kitten or puppy, but they don't seem to realize that they grow up... fast.

Sometimes they are good-intentioned but don't think it through. A woman adopted a 9 months old terrier mix, only to return her because she wasn't completely housebroken and was too active. I had fostered the dog and knew she was housebroken if you didn't ignore her. And, look in the dictionary under "active" and you'll find a picture of a young terrier.

Another fellow adopted a kitten, only to return her the next week because she wanted to play all the time. Kitten... playful... okay.

(BTW, both animals did get adopted. The terrier went to a family with two young children. The kitten went to a young couple.)

Swift
2012-Mar-14, 05:26 PM
Most combinations of "impulse" and "get a pet" are going to be a bad combinations.

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-14, 06:20 PM
Most combinations of "impulse" and "get a pet" are going to be a bad combinations.
Yep;
Coincidently; the other day I was reading another version of this story:
Florida set to lift ban on dyeing of chicks, bunnies and other critters (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-03-12/news/fl-dyed-bunny-ban-20120310_1_animal-cruelty-animal-activists-bunnies)

Dyeing animals the color of your choice has been against Florida law for 45 years — along with selling chicks and ducklings before they are 4 weeks old and bunnies before they are 8 weeks old.
There's lot's of comments I can make about this story, but they tend to lean towards political or to a group that shall remain nameless here.
My point is that dying them has lead to "impulse" "pet".

redshifter
2012-Mar-14, 07:17 PM
I've read where some folks who buy a parrot or one of it's derivatives (Cockatoo, Macaw, etc.) don't realize they can live 50+ years. Talk about the need for long term planning/care!

Fazor
2012-Mar-14, 07:22 PM
Our second dog was more of an "impulse" thing. Tara moved in with me, and I had already had Charlie for a year or two. I think she needed a pet that she could think of as "hers", since she left behind her cats (at her mother's.) But having already owned a dog, we knew (or I knew) full well what went into owning them. I'm glad we got Rooka (Veruca), but since then, I've had to talk Tara down from getting a *third* one multiple times.

"But puppies are sooo cute!" "Yes, but our 700 sq ft house with 1/4 acre lot already has two mid-large dogs."

Swift
2012-Mar-14, 08:04 PM
Our second dog was more of an "impulse" thing. Tara moved in with me, and I had already had Charlie for a year or two. I think she needed a pet that she could think of as "hers", since she left behind her cats (at her mother's.) But having already owned a dog, we knew (or I knew) full well what went into owning them. I'm glad we got Rooka (Veruca), but since then, I've had to talk Tara down from getting a *third* one multiple times.

"But puppies are sooo cute!" "Yes, but our 700 sq ft house with 1/4 acre lot already has two mid-large dogs."
That's why I said "most". Like you said, you were already experienced dog owners and knew what was involved.

Trebuchet
2012-Mar-15, 01:11 AM
My girlfriend once went into the pet store to buy birdseed and came out with a tiny black kitten, which she presented to me. I married her anyway.

Swift
2012-Mar-15, 02:27 AM
I married her anyway.An impulsive decision? :D

Trebuchet
2012-Mar-15, 05:18 AM
An impulsive decision? :D

Perhaps. But never regretted!

Inclusa
2012-Mar-15, 06:11 AM
We need knowledge to keep pets properly anyway.
Since certain snakes and parrots live long lives, they are like lifetime partners.

NickW
2012-Mar-15, 03:50 PM
My wife and I looked and researched for 6 months before we got our jack russell. After we got the dog, we got some good kid books for our boys to read. She has been a great pet since we got her (with some minor problems here and there).

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-15, 05:22 PM
And they never realize that the solution to the problem is to eat them.

Inclusa
2012-Mar-16, 05:33 AM
And they never realize that the solution to the problem is to eat them.

Don't forget the emotional attachment; that's why most of us are offended when we hear people eating dogs or cats.

BigDon
2012-Mar-20, 07:30 PM
An impulsive decision? :D

I guess he doesn't realize how big they get in a few years...

(Just kidding!)