PDA

View Full Version : Happy Pi Day

crosscountry
2012-Mar-14, 03:44 PM
It's 3/14 everyone. Have a great mathematical constant day.

(I searched unsuccessfully for another thread on this, but they can be merged if one exists)

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-14, 04:05 PM
(I searched unsuccessfully for another thread on this, but they can be merged if one exists)
Several. In fact I was just searching to resurrect one just as you posted. But; each year is anew, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

It struck me to post it after reading this article:
Pi Day: How 3.14 helps find other planets, and more (http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/13/pi-day-how-3-14-helps-find-other-planets-and-more/?hpt=hp_bn1)
Not bad if you want to go through it all, but there were a few comments that I feel the urge to nitpick on.

But when you think about how many different fields of science incorporate pi, it does seem kind of amazing.
It applies to just about anywhere there is a circle. Why is that amazing?

"Coincidentally, pi is useful to estimate the number of seconds in a year (on Earth): There are approximately pi times 10 million seconds in a year," Seager says.
I never noticed that one.

Pi plays an important role in the way the genome is folded, says Leonid Mirny, associate professor at MIT.
If we never discovered Pi as a constant, wouldn't the genome still fold the same way?

I also heard on the radio this morning that it's the ratio of the radius to the circumference.
Technically, they are correct, but it's not a direct ratio.

Strange
2012-Mar-14, 04:15 PM
Someone posted this on another forum.

https://digitalsubs.scientificamerican.com/pubs/SC/SAD/SAD_piday_031412.jsp?cds_page_id=115254&cds_mag_code=SAD
celebrate Pi Day with a one-year subscription to Scientific American Digital for the exclusive low price of only $3.14

Trebuchet
2012-Mar-14, 04:17 PM
A little Pi Day fun!

Cake Wrecks (http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2012/3/14/easy-as-pi.html)

Jim
2012-Mar-14, 04:27 PM
Four more years!

No, not a political statement. I'm waiting for Pi Day 2016.

geonuc
2012-Mar-14, 04:28 PM
If we never discovered Pi as a constant, wouldn't the genome still fold the same way?

I do not think that the good professor that crosscountry quoted was suggesting that the discovery of Pi was the reason the genome folds the way it does.

crosscountry
2012-Mar-14, 04:33 PM
Several. In fact I was just searching to resurrect one just as you posted. But; each year is anew, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

The ones I found were for previous years with the year in the title. Pi Day 2010 just doesn't hold up anymore.

I do not think that the good professor that crosscountry quoted was suggesting that the discovery of Pi was the reason the genome folds the way it does.
That was from a link that NEOWatcher posted, and I agree with your interpretation.

ravens_cry
2012-Mar-14, 04:50 PM
Yay, Pi day!
I am ashamed I had forgot. Thank you for the reminder.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-14, 05:17 PM
It's 3/14 everyone.

Not everyone. Here in the UK we use the logical system of putting the day before the month, so it's actually 14/3.

Swift
2012-Mar-14, 05:22 PM
Not everyone. Here in the UK we use the logical system of putting the day before the month, so it's actually 14/3.
To be honest, I like that system better, and more and more I use it on this side of the pond.

But that does mean we can't celebrate until the 3rd day of the 14th month...

grapes
2012-Mar-14, 05:26 PM
I never noticed that one.
One even less noticeable is that the acceleration of gravity on the earth's surface is approximately pi squared--and that is not just a coincidence!

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-14, 06:14 PM
Like crosscountry said, that was a quote from my link.
Perhaps I should have put a smiley on that. I know he wasn't suggesting it's that way, but the way it's worded it hit me that way.

swampyankee
2012-Mar-14, 10:54 PM
I tend to write day-month-year, even though I'm a USian, because it does seem more logical. This may even be why the first two companies I worked for used it in all the test engineering logs. That, or because 90% of the techs were ex-military and wrote days day-<three letter abbreviation for month>-year.

What the rest of the world needs is some calendar reform, so they can write 31/4. You just need an extra day in April....

R.A.F.
2012-Mar-14, 10:57 PM
Lets see...best I can do from memory....3.1415926535...and then memory gets hazy. :)

Trebuchet
2012-Mar-15, 01:09 AM
Lets see...best I can do from memory....3.1415926535...and then memory gets hazy. :)

That's one more digit than I normally do. And several more significant figures than I ever really need!

grapes
2012-Mar-15, 01:24 AM
You should be able to get the next four: 8979...

How I need a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics

Gemini
2012-Mar-15, 04:22 AM
Pi Day Pi Day, Gonna Get Down on Pi Day...

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-15, 06:50 AM

How I need a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics

I came across that mnemonic (sp?) in Asimov's magazine back in the 70s. I quickly discovered that I was much better at learning numbers that mnemonics!

So I've been able to do 3.14159265358979 for a long time now.

Strange
2012-Mar-15, 09:48 AM
To be honest, I like that system better, and more and more I use it on this side of the pond.

But that does mean we can't celebrate until the 3rd day of the 14th month...

Or the 31st of April...

crosscountry
2012-Mar-15, 03:15 PM

That's the last four of my phone number. I expect though that if you took pi out far enough you'd come across a great many phone numbers

Perikles
2012-Mar-15, 03:21 PM
That's the last four of my phone number. I expect though that if you took pi out far enough you'd come across a great many phone numbersI suspect all of them, in fact, although I can't prove it. :D

jokergirl
2012-Mar-15, 03:31 PM
Yes, all of them.

There was an art installation in my hometown that had a display showing a scrolling section of pi... they could just as well have scrolled random numbers...

;)

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-15, 05:04 PM
Personally I prefer year-month-date as that's really the only logical way to organize them, nobody would be silly enough to have time as seconds:minutes:hours or for than matter minutes:seconds:hours so why have month/date/year?

Apart from that, apparently March 14th it is also the male version of Valentine's Day, but I'd probably get in trouble if I mentioned the name.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-15, 05:09 PM
Personally I prefer year-month-date as that's really the only logical way to organize them, nobody would be silly enough to have time as seconds:minutes:hours or for than matter minutes:seconds:hours so why have month/date/year?

Good point.

Apart from that, apparently March 14th it is also the male version of Valentine's Day, but I'd probably get in trouble if I mentioned the name.

Hmm, I'll have to think about that one.

Perikles
2012-Mar-17, 10:06 AM
Or the 31st of April...I've solved the problem for pi day using a sane date format :D

We can express pi in octal as 3.110375524... so the UK can celebrate this in November. Hooray.

The New Scientist has a report here (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21597-us-judge-rules-that-you-cant-copyright-pi.html)on a court ruling that pi may not be copyrighted. This follows an argument between two 'musicians' who have put pi to music by assigning digits to the notes of the musical scale. I'm not sure how they dealt with 10 digits, but it must be simpler using pi in octal. This would give a totally different sound, equally devoid of artistic merit.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-17, 10:50 AM
I've solved the problem for pi day using a sane date format :D

We can express pi in octal as 3.110375524... so the UK can celebrate this in November. Hooray.

I'm proud of you.

The New Scientist has a report here (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21597-us-judge-rules-that-you-cant-copyright-pi.html)on a court ruling that pi may not be copyrighted. This follows an argument between two 'musicians' who have put pi to music by assigning digits to the notes of the musical scale. I'm not sure how they dealt with 10 digits, but it must be simpler using pi in octal.

Interesting. I think there's a fascinating grey area between something found in nature and something created when it comes to copyright.

This would give a totally different sound, equally devoid of artistic merit.

Hey man, this is, like, the sound of nature! :)

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-21, 05:49 PM
Can you copyright music of pi? Judge says no (http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/21/can-you-copyright-music-of-pi-judge-says-no/)

Pi Day this year was special for Michael John Blake. On that day, March 14 (3/14, like the number 3.14), a judge dismissed a copyright infringement lawsuit against his song, which is based on the number pi.

profloater
2012-Mar-21, 06:12 PM
Can you copyright music of pi? Judge says no (http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/21/can-you-copyright-music-of-pi-judge-says-no/)
Hey numerology and if you assign numbers 1 to 9 to letters; M is 4; J is 1; and B is 2; so he was 4.12 and did not deserve pi at all. He should have been of course Charles John Michael. Not sure about the music; on the even temepered clavier there are 12 tones so the base 12 might work better.

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-14, 07:05 PM
Bump...

What? nobody mentioned again this year?
Next year will be better...

Trebuchet
2014-Mar-14, 07:10 PM
Bump...

Phil Plait did (http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/03/14/march_14_is_pi_day_but_there_s_an_effort_to_get_ri d_of_it.html).

Noclevername
2014-Mar-14, 07:16 PM
Phil Plait did (http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/03/14/march_14_is_pi_day_but_there_s_an_effort_to_get_ri d_of_it.html).

But there are folks who think it should be. Buried, I mean. Or better, replaced with a different number: τ. That is, the Greek letter tau, which represents a number they claim is better: 2 x π, or 6.283185307…

But 3/14 is Einstein's birthday!

Swift
2014-Mar-14, 07:39 PM
Bump...

So bye, bye Miss American pi....

What do you mean that's not what that song is about?

;)

JohnD
2014-Mar-14, 08:43 PM
Here in the UK we will have to wait until approximately the 22nd July.

John

Glom
2014-Mar-15, 09:13 AM
The problem with pi day is that I can never figure out exactly what it is.