PDA

View Full Version : So, what's going on here [Sphere in the Sun's corona]

PlumbLunatic
2012-Mar-16, 02:34 PM
Long-time reader, first-time poster!

So I just stumbled over this (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/13/solar-black-hole-anomaly-conspiracy_n_1341636.html?ref=mostpopular) on The Huff. I've tried searching here but can't find a reference to it, and all I can find on line is bizarre conspiracy theories. Any ideas?

Shaula
2012-Mar-16, 04:48 PM
It is a picture of turbulent gas which has got a circularish shape on it. That is all. People are making unfounded comments and wild claims about it in that article. You see shapes in Earthly clouds all the time without them needing to be due to anything more than chance.

Swift
2012-Mar-16, 05:01 PM
If the Huffington Post is referencing GodLikeProductions for stories, my opinion of the Huffington Post just did a nose-dive.

Strange
2012-Mar-16, 05:22 PM
At least they put "experts" in quotes. And described them as 'homegrown "experts"' ('homemade' might have been better; 'self proclaimed' better still).

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-16, 05:28 PM
I stopped reading at "After some tinkering on Photoshop the images appeared to show a sphere above the Sun 'drawing energy' from near to the surface into a planet-sized ball."

:doh:

Solfe
2012-Mar-16, 05:59 PM
The line between news and woo becomes even fuzzier. :(

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-16, 06:26 PM
Welcome.

...and all I can find on line is bizarre conspiracy theories. Any ideas?
What did you search? Did you try "coronal prominence" as it explained in the article?

If the Huffington Post is referencing GodLikeProductions for stories, my opinion of the Huffington Post just did a nose-dive.
It looks like the purposefully went out to find some outlandish things to say about the story. I have a dim view of any news source that does an internet search in that manner. Internet searches are fine for research, but to find content to fill a story with garbage fluff is irresponsible IMHO.

I find it doubly sad that they even reprinted some of the insults on that site.

Triply, to devote so much of a story to garbage like that, and only give 2 sentences to the actual phenomenon is incredibly irresponsible.

grapes
2012-Mar-16, 07:51 PM
It looks like the purposefully went out to find some outlandish things to say about the story. I have a dim view of any news source that does an internet search in that manner. Internet searches are fine for research, but to find content to fill a story with garbage fluff is irresponsible IMHO.From my reading, that fluff is the story. The headline, as I type this, is "'Solar Black Hole' Anomaly Sends Conspiracy Theorists Into Frenzy". It's an article about the wacky responses, not the solar prominence.

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-16, 08:16 PM
From my reading, that fluff is the story. The headline, as I type this, is "'Solar Black Hole' Anomaly Sends Conspiracy Theorists Into Frenzy". It's an article about the wacky responses, not the solar prominence.
You could be right. And that makes it even worse in my mind.

Apparently a reporter trying to get a day off. "I'm too lazy to find a story, so let's randomly find a story on the web".

It would be like a reporter in pre-internet days walking up to a bum with a "they're here" poster and tin foil hat to find a story.

grapes
2012-Mar-16, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I read that story a few times. :)

Luckmeister
2012-Mar-17, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately, that kind of article (and headline) is chosen to get higher readership. Junk gets more money from the general public than quality and many businesses give in to the temptation to cheapen their product. They want to sell, rather than educate, and will choose to mislead, if that's what sells. Ignorance is encouraged and exploited more and more in the marketplace. It makes me sick!!

Remember how great the Larry King show was when it started? Then, for ratings it deteriorated into interviews with psychics and misbehaving celebrities.... or just pushing someone's latest book or movie. He was highly respected when he started that show and was nothing but a source of jokes for Jay Leno by the time he quit.

Believe it or not, Jerry Springer's show also had quality when it started..... and then..... :sad:

George
2012-Mar-17, 01:37 AM
It looks like something slightly doctored from an SDO video, as they observe in extreme UV.

Here is a Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE8FIduAu6k) video of something similar.

TrAI
2012-Mar-17, 11:14 PM

So I just stumbled over this (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/13/solar-black-hole-anomaly-conspiracy_n_1341636.html?ref=mostpopular) on The Huff. I've tried searching here but can't find a reference to it, and all I can find on line is bizarre conspiracy theories. Any ideas?

In this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82l46fpd-ic) the object is described as a coronal cavity, and can be an indicator of a coming coronal mass ejection event, the video also shows how this later erupted.