PDA

View Full Version : March Really-really-(really?) Madness, 2012

Fazor
2012-Mar-17, 02:04 AM
So, who all is following the NCAA Men's basketball tourney? Some crazy stuff, that. First, fifteenth-seed Norfolk knocked out 2nd-seeded Missouri. I believe the stat was that this is the first time a 15 has defeated a 2 since 1981.

Then my alma-mater stepped up to the plate, and the 13th-seeded OhioU Bobcats took down 4th-seed Michigan. I wasn't totally shocked -- OU won the MAC (I think) and Michigan was very good, but very streaky. Still, Go Bobcats!

Their victory was followed closely by LeHigh Valley -- that's right, a 15th seed -- defeating #2 Duke. So what hasn't happened in 31 years just happened twice within a couple hours of eachother.

I'm not in any pools and have no money riding on anything, so I'll be pulling for OU to go as deep as they can (not expecting another win tho) and am rooting for Ohio State to go all the way. Good tourney so far tho! .... unless, of course, you are a Duke, Mizzou, or Michigan fan.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2012-Mar-17, 04:05 AM
I'm disappointed that Wichita State lost to VCU yesterday, but Charles Barkley seemed to take it worse than some of the local fans. At least today was better. As a Kansan, I'm obliged to dislike Mizzou, so that game was great to watch. It also looks like KU probably won't be the third #2 seed to be defeated today.

TJMac
2012-Mar-17, 07:43 PM
Actually, I believe the last 15 over a 2 seed was in 2001, Hampton over Iowa State. That said, it happens rarely, (no, REALLY it's a rare thing) enough to bet on it not happening.

I always do fairly well with my bracket. But this year I just feel like a total basketball idiot. I should have just picked by color of the uniforms.

TJ

Fazor
2012-Mar-17, 09:26 PM
Actually, I believe the last 15 over a 2 seed was in 2001, Hampton over Iowa State. That said, it happens rarely, (no, REALLY it's a rare thing) enough to bet on it not happening.

I always do fairly well with my bracket. But this year I just feel like a total basketball idiot. I should have just picked by color of the uniforms.

TJ

I coulda sworn they said 81 or 91, but we were at a restaurant and I could barely hear it. Had I filled out a bracket, and had I picked it based on teams I *want* to win or lose, I'd be doing okay right now. But I never pick based on what I want. I pick based on who I think will win. I'd be in the same boat as pretty much everybody else.

Fazor
2012-Mar-23, 08:34 PM
Well, the third round is progressing more in a predictable manner. I'm hoping that'll change when my alma mater takes on No 1 UNC. Thinking it'll be a slaughter, but I'll try to remain optimistic. OU is a scrappy team with some talent. Just don't know that they have enough talent to stack up to a team like that.

redshifter
2012-Mar-23, 10:27 PM
March Madness = greatest sporting event of the year! I get more interested when I have a horse in the race. This year my University of Washington Huskies got left out, even though they won the PAC 12 reg. season championship. First time the champ of a 'Big 6' confernce didn't get in. I can't complain too much, the PAC 12 was really bad this year as a whole, and had no wins against top 25 teams. UW's record vs. the RPI top 100 was pretty weak as well, so they basically just didn't play well enough to get selected.

OTOH they're headed to New York as one of the 'final 4' for this year's NIT. It's not the NCAA, but a nice way to close out the season.

Luckmeister
2012-Mar-24, 01:38 AM
Well, the third round is progressing more in a predictable manner. I'm hoping that'll change when my alma mater takes on No 1 UNC. Thinking it'll be a slaughter, but I'll try to remain optimistic. OU is a scrappy team with some talent. Just don't know that they have enough talent to stack up to a team like that.

Well you've got me rooting for your Bobcats since my UW Huskies aren't in the NCAA tourney. They're in it with 4 minutes to go. You must be having a cardiac event. :lol:

Fazor
2012-Mar-24, 02:13 AM
Well you've got me rooting for your Bobcats since my UW Huskies aren't in the NCAA tourney. They're in it with 4 minutes to go. You must be having a cardiac event. :lol:

Yeah. I need to open the windows now to cool off. Obviously, not the result I was hoping for. But for my scrappy little small-town 13th seed school to take the No 1 Tar Heels to over-time . . . great game. I hope they're proud of themselves, because I know that there's a lot of people like me who are.

Fazor
2012-Mar-24, 02:15 AM
March Madness = greatest sporting event of the year!

It's definitely one of my favorites. Considering I can't stand basketball any other time of the year, that says a lot for how well the tourney is set up and run. Coulda done without the extra teams this year, but whatever.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-24, 08:11 AM
It's definitely one of my favorites. Considering I can't stand basketball any other time of the year, that says a lot for how well the tourney is set up and run. Coulda done without the extra teams this year, but whatever.
Thanks.

In this batch of posts, this was the first that gave a hint about what kind of sport this is supposed to be.
Without prior knowledge the impression was that it's some sort of race between horses, dogs and big cats and that Madness is thus a very good term for it.

Fazor
2012-Mar-25, 10:56 PM
Thanks.

In this batch of posts, this was the first that gave a hint about what kind of sport this is supposed to be.
Without prior knowledge the impression was that it's some sort of race between horses, dogs and big cats and that Madness is thus a very good term for it.

You're welcome . . . however, the very first sentence in the first post also specified men's college basketball. Something I did on purpose, because anytime there's a thread about a US sporting event/tournament/championship, there is confusion among both non-fans and non-US members. ;)

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-26, 12:20 AM
Yep, but I didn't see that one as I always use the "last unread post" link. :)

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2012-Mar-26, 03:48 AM

Now I'm sorry that I deleted mention of the Sacking of Lawrence and the Pottawatomie Massacre from my earlier post.

TJMac
2012-Mar-28, 11:46 PM
Well, I still have a dog in the fight, so to speak. KU is probably overachieving at this point, so from here on, its all cake and ice cream. Vegas has Kansas as three point underdogs for the next game, and I believe, everyone feels like the only way to beat Kentucky is by preventing them from entering the arena.

So, it's all good, I failed miserably in my overall predictions, but I picked KU to lose in the championship game to Kentucky. It may even happen.

TJ