PDA

View Full Version : The "Every thread that's ever annoyed you" thread

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-17, 09:08 PM
Hey guys, I recently (or not so recently) bought a present for... well, perhaps it's better if I don't say who it was for. I won't say what the occasion was either. Heck, it might not even have been a present. And I'm certainly not going to say what the present (if it even was a present!) was.

So my question is, do you think I made the right choice?

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-17, 09:12 PM
When I drive to my brother's place, it takes about 90 minutes, travelling at an average speed of 60mph.

I've just worked out that if I travelled the same distance at an average speed 600mph, it would only take me 9 minutes. Surely this must be wrong? I mean, 9 minutes to go that distance? I'd have to travel at an absurdly fast speed, such as, er, 600mph?

Hornblower
2012-Mar-18, 01:20 AM
When I drive to my brother's place, it takes about 90 minutes, travelling at an average speed of 60mph.

I've just worked out that if I travelled the same distance at an average speed 600mph, it would only take me 9 minutes. Surely this must be wrong? I mean, 9 minutes to go that distance? I'd have to travel at an absurdly fast speed, such as, er, 600mph?

There is nothing absurd about that speed. A jet airliner with a tailwind in the jet stream can do that with ease.

Swift
2012-Mar-18, 02:31 AM
The most annoying thread ever (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129637-The-quot-Every-thread-that-s-ever-annoyed-you-quot-thread)

And the most annoying post from that thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129637-The-quot-Every-thread-that-s-ever-annoyed-you-quot-thread?p=1999332#post1999332)

:p

R.A.F.
2012-Mar-18, 03:38 AM
The most annoying thread ever (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129637-The-quot-Every-thread-that-s-ever-annoyed-you-quot-thread)

And the most annoying post from that thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129637-The-quot-Every-thread-that-s-ever-annoyed-you-quot-thread?p=1999332#post1999332)

:p

Woah....having a meta-moment...

Gillianren
2012-Mar-18, 07:04 PM
I have just discovered something! It is a piece of information that I never knew before. Oh, sure, it was easily available to anyone with a computer and the impulse to learn about a topic, but I just learned it, and it's shocking!

Torsten
2012-Mar-18, 08:48 PM
Disagreements about the amount of sunlight streaming through my living room window and the cat's response to it are resolved by logical discussion. Such discussions include data and analysis, such as throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks (or darts if the discussion occurs in the pub). Published papers appearing in the dog astrology journal are acceptable as written, but in all other cases black is white, and white is black.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-18, 08:53 PM
I honestly don't know what I've started here.

Jim
2012-Mar-18, 09:31 PM
Y'know, one of these days I'm going to figure out what this thread is all about, and then someone's getting infracted.

Or not.

mike alexander
2012-Mar-18, 10:13 PM
Poll:

a) agree
b) disagree
c) insufficient data for proper evaluation
d) answer would be 'too political'
e) beer

Swift
2012-Mar-18, 11:01 PM
Poll:

a) agree
b) disagree
c) insufficient data for proper evaluation
d) answer would be 'too political'
e) beer
f) The Princeton Band

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-18, 11:02 PM
Poll:
How how much do you agree with my agenda?
a) 98%
b) 99%
c) 99.9%
d) 99.99%
e) 100%

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-18, 11:34 PM
ould only take me 9 minutes. Surely this must be wrong? I mean, 9 minutes to go that distance? I'd have to travel at an absurdly fast speed, such as, er, 600mph?

ur rong... my cousins brothers dog iz a xpert on dat stuf nd thats unpossible,,,, he sed so

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-18, 11:54 PM
what do you think about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVbGnspgy_8

they're showing a one-eyed flying creature that's eating people. what should we do???

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-19, 12:02 AM

they're showing a one-eyed flying creature that's eating people. what should we do???
You missed the chance to make it like the really annoying ones which go:

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-19, 12:03 AM
Oh, I know, but I couldn't make myself do that.

Celestial Mechanic
2012-Mar-19, 04:25 AM
What do you think about this? {Snip!} They're showing a one-eyed flying creature that's eating people. What should we do???I'm not a purple human, so I'm probably safe.

WaxRubiks
2012-Mar-19, 06:34 AM
no FPPEs for us in the UK...kopy wright.*

* the term that sounds like 'kopy wright' has been kopy wrighted, and can no longer be used.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-19, 08:06 AM
Discuss.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-19, 08:06 AM
Poll:
a) 98%
b) 99%
c) 99.9%
d) 99.99%
e) 100%

For infinite 9's, d) equals e).

Nicolas
2012-Mar-19, 08:08 AM
A friend of my sister's has read a book and he's really smart so we have proven it was all a lie because on that page he said they were all out of marshmellows but how could they be all out of marshmellows with a 200 billion budget it doesn't make sense so it never happened I proved it.

peteshimmon
2012-Mar-19, 08:19 AM
You are feeling sleeeeepy.

Really sleeeeepy.

There now.

When I next post you will decide I am right
about everything I have ever posted on BAUT!

OK. Wake up NOW.

That wasn't so bad was it?

Nicolas
2012-Mar-19, 02:11 PM
What do you call Cuban astronauts? Castronauts.
What do you call Australian astronauts? Austronauts or Astronausis.
What do you call astronauts that are foodies? Gastronauts.
What do you call astronauts that are members of this board? Astrobauts.
What do you call an astronaut that'd better stayed on terra firma? Astronauseous.
What do you call an astronaut at this moment? Astronow.
What do you call astronauts that aren't? Astronots or astronaughts.
How do you call astronauts? With a telephone.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-19, 02:40 PM
What do you call astronauts that catalogue stars and defend your computer from viruses? Astronortons.
What do you call really big astronauts? Vastronauts.
What do you call astronauts that think Tracey Emin is a real artist? Philistines.

MAPNUT
2012-Mar-19, 02:48 PM
Poll:
a) 98%
b) 99%
c) 99.9%
d) 99.99%
e) 100%

You forgot 110%.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-19, 03:12 PM
How do you call astronauts that catalogue stars and defend your computer from viruses? Astronortons.
How do you call really big astronauts? Vastronauts.
How do you call astronauts that think Tracey Emin is a real artist? Philistines.

BTW it's what do you call, not how do you call.

When reading your post, my first thought was "shouldn't that start with "what"?". Obviously, my critical reading skills are superior to my critical writing skills.

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Mar-19, 04:16 PM
You forgot 110%.
I always give 110%.

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Mar-19, 04:17 PM
Well I broke the board rules and now I want the rules of the board to change so I don't get in trouble for doing the same thing again.

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Mar-19, 04:24 PM
I honestly don't know what I've started here.
At least your honest about it, some just start a thread don't answer back to any of the comments, plus I think you might need the beer option from one the following polls.

mike alexander
2012-Mar-19, 04:53 PM
Maybe someone here can help. I read a story once in Fantasy & Science Fiction, unless it was Analog (probably back when it was Astounding) or one of those Ace Doubles. The author's name rhymed with NASA, I think, unless it was Frederick Pohl working under a pen name. Pohl Anderson? But I think it was about a small child, or a large dog, who could make things appear by saying "Ruff!" or something like that. There was an undersea city that was always short of water, and when people spoke they always dropped their H's, like "'Ow are you?" So maybe it was in the future when London was under water.

I don't remember how it ended. Any ideas?

Swift
2012-Mar-19, 05:09 PM
I just saw something in the sky that looked weird. Does anyone know what it was?

R.A.F.
2012-Mar-19, 05:15 PM
I just saw something in the sky that looked weird. Does anyone know what it was?

Well, if it looked like a "weird", it probably was a "weird".

Coincidentally, this is quite possibly the weirdest thread ever on BAUT.

MAPNUT
2012-Mar-19, 05:36 PM
Their are to many people who cant spell, i dont no why there so ignorant, its rediculous.

Solfe
2012-Mar-19, 05:38 PM
Any thread with the word "fony."

Gillianren
2012-Mar-19, 05:58 PM
I found this one website that says this thing that must be true. What do you guys think? Oh, the name of the website? The Onion.

Fazor
2012-Mar-19, 06:00 PM
This thing that happened is an outrage! I don't have any facts about it, but it should never be done! No, I can't offer any alternatives for how it could have been handled, but it should have been handled in a way that would have ended differently! Anyone who doesn't share my ill-formed rage is obviously a horrible human being and an idiot! How could it not upset you?

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-19, 06:35 PM
Their are to many people who cant spell, i dont no why there so ignorant, its rediculous.

Its as bad as those person's who cant pun'ctuate.

MAPNUT
2012-Mar-19, 07:14 PM
Thats what i meant.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-19, 07:24 PM
Thats what i mean't.

Fixed that for you.

mike alexander
2012-Mar-19, 07:32 PM
Just sayin'

DonM435
2012-Mar-19, 07:35 PM
Well, if it looked like a "weird", it probably was a "weird".

Coincidentally, this is quite possibly the weirdest thread ever on BAUT.

Nahh, the weird people invariably spell it "wierd."

mike alexander
2012-Mar-19, 07:43 PM
Hi! I want to buy a telescope. What should I get and what will I see with it?

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-19, 07:56 PM

Ah, now that depends. If you are an idiot, and/or have no money, a cardboard tube would do admirably. Do be aware that it will greatly diminish your field of view, unless you are an idiot, in which case you won't know what this means.

Otherwise, I recommend you get a telescope with lenses in, but keep in mind they cost money, and don't look at the sun with it. If you must look at the sun with a telescope, then you're an idiot, so it's just as well I recommended the cardboard tube.

Swift
2012-Mar-19, 08:00 PM
Its as bad as those person's who cant pun'ctuate.
Actually, you know what is the worst thing... any guesses, ok, I guess not, so I'll have to tell you. It is a rather long story so you might want to relax, put your feet up, get real comfortable, because this is certainly the worst kind of post that one might encounter on any sort of Internet forum on any subject. OK, the worst kind of post is the one that is just a complete and utter (not udder, ha ha) wall of text, with no paragraph breaks at all, just a continuous, never-ending block of text that makes it really, really difficult to read or even to remember what the person who is posting this block of text is even talking about or what their point is or anything. It gets even more worse (is more worse a legit expression?) if they throw in a lot of parentetical (did I spell that right?) clauses, or if they is a lot of run-on sentences (is it "run-on" or "runon" or "run on" sentence, I'm really not sure, but you know the type I'm talking about where the person just keeps going on and on, with hardly even a coma or a semi-colon (or is it semicolon) and they just keep prattling on and on (can you "prattle" when you type, or is that just a vocal thing). Any way, back to my point (no, I didn't forget, you should not even suggest such a thing, it has not been that long since I started this post), and way, my point is that such a wall of text (or is should "wall of text" be in quotes?), anyway, such a wall of text post is really, really hard to read. I think it probably has to do something with how our brains are wired or maybe it is a learned behavior (you know, nuture versus nature, film at 11). But we find it very hard to even read such a thing. In fact, when I see a post like that I usually, maybe 75% of the time, or maybe even a little more often, don't even read it, or at least don't read it completely, I just sort of skim over it and see if I can figure out what they are talking about; or maybe I wait till someone else comments and let them figure out what the person was saying and then I can post a nice, real short post with something like "Me too!!!!" in it for the contents of my post, so people will think I read the really, really long, wall or block of text post, and they will think more of me because I have been contributing important stuff to the thread. But if the person does it a lot I might report the post to the moderators or I'll just make fun of them in thread and tell them they really, really need to stop doing that because it is really, really hard to read such a block of text and why can't they hit the Enter key every once in a while so it isn't such a big block of text. What would make that really bad thing really bad would be if the also picked a weird or small font or if they used a weird color or maybe a lot of different colors or if they made the background for the post a weird color (though I don't know how you do that). Hey, do any of you have problems with your wrists, because mine are really starting to hurt a lot and I really don't know why? And do you think I use the word "really" too much or does it really not bother you? Hey but thanks for listening to all this (actually, I guess it should be "thanks for reading all of this") but you knew what I meant. OK, bye.

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-19, 08:52 PM
I agree! Wow, I was just looking around the internet and saw your great post, and decided I had to join this wonderful discussion group. As an aside, I noticed the wrist problem you were mentioning. I was having the same problem recently, and just happened to see an ad for Frobnitz Wrist Fixers at the time. I was skeptical that something with such a low, low price could work so well, but I was having so much wrist pain I tried it anyway. And! It's amazing, I've never had any pain since! Even more amazing, Frobnitz Wrist Fixers have a five-day money back guarantee. If you don't like them, you can get a full refund any time!*

I really hope you'll try them, I'd hate to see you stop writing those amazingly wonderful posts of yours, when Frobnitz Wrist Fixers would help you so much. Remember, that's Frobnitz Wrist Fixers. Buy yours today!

*shipping fees not included

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-19, 09:06 PM
Hey, there's this thing in the sky they've been talking about. It's where Jupiter used to be. It's as bright as Jupiter and it has these things around it that look like Jupiter's moons. What could it possibly be?

mike alexander
2012-Mar-19, 09:10 PM
I must protest the *MODERATORS* closing my thread on the threat of ATM machines (i.e., Sessile Daleks). I realize it is hard to classify, covering both 'ATM' and 'conspiracy' subjects, but the fact is that these machines were introduced in the same decade as the Kennedy assassination AND the end of World War II.

And Dark matter. Don't forget dark matter.

Strange
2012-Mar-19, 11:06 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropeName

This is the title of a typical incendiary blog post (http://faultline.org/index.php/site/item/incendiary)

Gillianren
2012-Mar-19, 11:38 PM
I will now pontificate on something, ask for discussion, and never post in the thread again.

Flat Handle
2012-Mar-19, 11:53 PM
All of them

Luckmeister
2012-Mar-20, 01:12 AM
u sudoseptics r always right. u think u no everything. statistics say your right half the time. i just proofed your wrong half the time but u never except that. proov that what i say isnt true. u cant ha ha!!!!!!!!!

IMBTBISIOY

Tobin Dax
2012-Mar-20, 03:30 AM
I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I don't like it and I think that you should all quit discussing this topic. :annoying smiley:

peteshimmon
2012-Mar-20, 06:35 AM
Oh dear...

Tog
2012-Mar-20, 07:49 AM
So, I was just looking into my bag of corn chips and noticed that the dark spots on them kind of looked like stars, then I looked over at the big plate of "brownies" as saw the nuts looked like starts, and then I got thinking that if all those things looked like stars then maybe stars weren't really big fireballs in space and that they were really just brighter spots of the stuff they call dark matter which is really space. I said something about it to my buds (LOL buds, I didn't do that on purpose, I swear) and Hyde said I was stupid, but Fez and Kelso thought I might be right. So, am I?

mfumbesi
2012-Mar-20, 08:07 AM
I know this is a strange thread, but you'll be surprised by the many people, who ask similar questions on car/cameras/houses/nuclear war heads/etc.

In the forum for dictators, the other day this guy wanted to know if NASA could build him a moon base and how should he phrase the request (to NASA of course).

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-20, 10:31 AM
All of them
Congratulations on making post 2000000.

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-20, 12:38 PM
What do you call really big astronauts? Vastronauts.
Grounded.

This thing that happened is an outrage! I don't have any facts about it, but it should never be done! No, I can't offer any alternatives for how it could have been handled, but it should have been handled in a way that would have ended differently! Anyone who doesn't share my ill-formed rage is obviously a horrible human being and an idiot! How could it not upset you?
I thought we were talking about threads. Not the News.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-20, 01:20 PM
Actually [snip]

I did actually read this.

weatherc
2012-Mar-20, 05:13 PM
What do you call astronauts with celiac disease? Pastanaughts.

mike alexander
2012-Mar-20, 05:40 PM
The "Favorite Tofu Recipes" thread.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-20, 06:34 PM
I finally know why this thread was started. It's just meant as slander to any thread that comes up in the "similar threads" box.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-20, 08:01 PM
What is the exact difference between "vague term 1" and "vague term 2"?

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-20, 08:06 PM
Given that humans are unable to "something humans are quite capable of", how did ancient man survive?

And the alternatives:
Given that humans are then only ones who "something lots of other animals also do", how did that evolve from nothing?

and

Given that "ancient critter X" ONLY "something X didn't only", how did it survive?

peteshimmon
2012-Mar-20, 08:11 PM
Gotta watch that Paul, he likes to stir
things up occasionally. And he's good at it!

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-20, 08:14 PM
Wobblywobblywobbly40 is now Wobblywobblywobbly39.

mike alexander is now Helen Shapiro.

Joy Division is now New Order.

Life on Mars is now Ashes to Ashes.

David Tennant is now Matt Smith.

Helen Shapiro has changed back to mike alexander. That didn't last long.

My Dinner is now Eaten.

(The thread that records name changes only annoys me in as much as I can't make comments. Which is probably just as well.)

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-20, 08:15 PM

I can answer this because I watched Star Trek once.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-20, 08:23 PM
Given that humans are unable to "something humans are quite capable of", how did ancient man survive?

And the alternatives:
Given that humans are then only ones who "something lots of other animals also do", how did that evolve from nothing?

and

Given that "ancient critter X" ONLY "something X didn't only", how did it survive?

I was going to make a witty response, but I share the sentiment too strongly. It really does annoy me when someone begins an argument - usually political - with "Man/humanity is the only species that..." and then states something which lots of animals do.

weatherc
2012-Mar-20, 08:34 PM
I want you to review my theory about why Einstein was wrong, even though I don't actually know any of the math involved, or, for that matter, what any of Einstein's theories actually state, and I don't actually want you to tell me why my theory is incorrect. I have also invented an entire lexicon of words that come from science, but don't mean what scientists mean when they use them, so that we can't base our conversation on the same language. kthx.

Strange
2012-Mar-20, 08:44 PM
Short, cryptic and slight smug comment implying you are all making a simple mistake that only I can see.

Swift
2012-Mar-20, 09:07 PM
Who would win this battle: The Care Bears, using Babylon 5 technology, but with Star Wars physics, or the vampires from Twilight, using the magic of Harry Potter, but in the universe of I Dream of Jeannie?

mike alexander
2012-Mar-20, 09:12 PM
Buzz Aldrin himself once said

mike alexander
2012-Mar-20, 09:17 PM
The NASA budget is less than the amount spent yearly on Oreo cookies.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-20, 09:34 PM
But all of that would be no problem if we only had a really big launcher / Newspace / a nuclear thisandthat / Oreo cookies / a space elevator / catched an asteroid / terraformed Wyoming / the good old Shuttle days / solids / liquids / ...

Torsten
2012-Mar-20, 09:51 PM
It's simply global to the solution in the OP, since on viable moments it's acting according to my theory. I've worked on this ever since a canned local limit to the magnetic departures came out of my handwaving, and as well, it's classical in its properties! Newtonian is key. Your mathematics shows clearly that absorption is always magnetic. Yes it's a ZPF particle! Certainly, my studying while actually in the ZPF field is a collection of rates of localized conserved moments. It shows all systems are that system, aka word salad.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-20, 09:57 PM
Blabla nonsense blabla. FACT!

slang
2012-Mar-20, 10:19 PM
Let's talk about trees. I noticed there are trees.

ETA: and thanks to Torsten I now can't see the forest for the trees!

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-20, 10:48 PM
X it the solution to global warming.

Followed by, in any other thread mentioning global warming:
But if only people would X, then global warming would be solved.

With X being a something with no substantial large-scale work done and thus no hard economical numbers nor any numbers relating to the engineering.

Global warming can be substituted with any other large scale problem where economics makes any real solution sub-optimal in the short- and likely mid-term.

KaiYeves
2012-Mar-20, 11:33 PM
Something reminded me of how awesome a book/movie/TV series/etc that occurred several decades ago in my youth was! I will now make cryptic comments about how good it was that will be completely unintelligible to anyone born later.

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-21, 12:46 AM

That's obvious. "Vague term 2" has a "2" in it instead of a "1" and follows "vague term 1" in the sentence.

weatherc
2012-Mar-21, 01:19 AM
That's obvious. "Vague term 2" has a "2" in it instead of a "1" and follows "vague term 1" in the sentence.

Actually, it's obvious that the answer is 0.9999~ , which is equal to 1.

Swift
2012-Mar-21, 01:37 AM
Painfully obvious Monty Python reference, followed by a Marx Brothers reference that will show my age to be greater than 50.

Gillianren
2012-Mar-21, 04:19 AM
Painfully obvious Monty Python reference, followed by a Marx Brothers reference that will show my age to be greater than 50.

Or a film buff . . . .

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-21, 07:04 AM
Comment through a quotation by Mark Twain.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-21, 07:04 AM
Comment through a quotation by Mark Twain.
Which isn't by Mark Twain

Nicolas
2012-Mar-21, 08:00 AM
Knee jerk reaction comparing the previous poster to anything and everything that invokes Godwin's law.

Because I know very well this post is against board rules, I predict I will be banned for this post because this board is moderated by something again invoking Godwin's law.

After my banning, quote the moderator's post that explains this got me banned, claiming that my banning proves I'm right and you cannot handle the truth, to end with something invoking Godwin's law.

Strange
2012-Mar-21, 08:49 AM
Nicolas is banned! (Oh, sorry, wrong thread)

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-21, 01:35 PM
Galileo was burnt at the stake for saying the world is round.

Strange
2012-Mar-21, 02:21 PM
They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian ... well, they are not laughing now! (B. Monkhouse)

Strange
2012-Mar-21, 02:22 PM
Science doesn't know everything. Therefore it is all wrong. Therefore I am right.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-21, 03:45 PM
They'd laugh at you in the debating hall for that.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-21, 03:46 PM
Theatrical announcement that I'm going to leave the board FOREVER!

Nicolas
2012-Mar-21, 03:47 PM
Even more theatrical request to downright ban me because I won't ever come back!

Better yet, just wipe out my entire profile!

Nicolas
2012-Mar-21, 03:47 PM
[2 weeks later] Hi guys!

Gillianren
2012-Mar-21, 04:58 PM
Claim of grand expertise in some really bizarre discipline which proves that I am right and all of you are wrong even if my area of expertise is irrelevant to everything.

Strange
2012-Mar-21, 05:04 PM
[after a detailed point by point dissection of some psuedoscientific idea, including quotes from the original post]

Why didn't you read what I wrote. If you just read it you would understand I am right.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-21, 06:06 PM
Science doesn't know everything. Therefore it is all wrong. Therefore I am right.
I love the Dara O'Briain response to that one:

Well, science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it's stop. But it's more than that, just 'cause science doesn't know everything, doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale most appeals to you.

YouTube linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvMb90hem8) around 1:50 but see it from the start. Note slightly NSW language.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-21, 06:49 PM
Huge discussion about people and television shows we've never heard of on my side of the planet.

Major spoiler for a movie that is yet to be shown on my side of the planet.

slang
2012-Mar-21, 11:55 PM
You know, this place would be much better if I were to be allowed to say what I want to say! And I know my poll would support me if the mods here hadn't intimidated the people so bad that they won't even dare to click vote buttons!

Strange
2012-Mar-22, 10:39 AM
The point is that there is a group of dissidents here who have a different view on this subject. These dissidents are called all sorts of names and sometimes even put to jail for their views. Meanwhile their arguments are not even discussed being outright dismissed as irrational. I am investigating the treatment of the dissidents by the establishment using the principles put forward by Solzhenitsyn.

[taken from another forum with minor edits to remove the overt political content - I have no idea what he is talking about!]

Swift
2012-Mar-22, 03:36 PM
The point is that there is a group of dissidents here who have a different view on this subject. These dissidents are called all sorts of names and sometimes even put to jail for their views. Meanwhile their arguments are not even discussed being outright dismissed as irrational. I am investigating the treatment of the dissidents by the establishment using the principles put forward by Solzhenitsyn.

[taken from another forum with minor edits to remove the overt political content - I have no idea what he is talking about!]
I regret to inform the BAUT collective that Strange has been sent to one of our "treatment facilities" for re-education.

Strange
2012-Mar-22, 03:39 PM
I feel better now.

KaiYeves
2012-Mar-22, 10:31 PM
Space exploration will never be as good as it was when I was a kid, even if we develop Hyperdrive!

slang
2012-Mar-22, 11:44 PM
“It’s gibberish,” she replied scornfully.
Kalten frowned. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them,” he whispered. “What part of the world do the Gibbers come from?”
She stared at him, her face baffled.
“Did I say it wrong?” he asked. “Are they called the Gibberese, or maybe the Gibberenians? - the people who speak Gibberish, I mean.”
(-- Kalten and Sephrenia, on the origin of Gibberish. David Eddings - The Shining Ones)

Some threads make me feel like Sephrenia. Not annoyed... just... baffled.

Swift
2012-Mar-23, 01:36 PM
"Should anyone ever be allowed to just start a thread in which they pick some topic, present no opinion about it, and then give a one word command to discuss it" - Discuss

Nicolas
2012-Mar-23, 04:30 PM
Discuss.

I hate threads where people rehash previous posts.

Swift
2012-Mar-23, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Nicolas, on page 1 of this very thread
Discuss.
I hate threads where people rehash previous posts.
Me too

Van Rijn
2012-Mar-23, 06:12 PM
There's a question I've been thinking about a lot, and I haven't noticed anyone else discussing this yet. What do you think about threads where people rehash previous posts?

Swift
2012-Mar-23, 07:53 PM
There's a question I've been thinking about a lot, and I haven't noticed anyone else discussing this yet. What do you think about threads where people rehash previous posts?
Me too

Fazor
2012-Mar-23, 07:59 PM
:) Hello. I don't really have anything to say :-P but the discussion has been good so far. :rolleyes: I wear my emotions on my sleeves ;) or rather I wear my emotions on my keys! :dance::clap: Anyway, keep up the good discussion :clap::clap: That last comment had me :rofl:

Moose
2012-Mar-23, 08:13 PM
If I listed all the threads that annoyed me, we'd be here all month.

Tog
2012-Mar-23, 08:36 PM
If I listed all the threads that annoyed me, we'd be here all month.
I thought was the Banned Poster log.
*ducks*

Trebuchet
2012-Mar-24, 12:16 AM
Threads that belong in Fun & Games, like this one, but aren't.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-24, 07:04 AM
Threads that belong in Fun & Games, like this one, but aren't.

Actually it probably belongs in Forum Introductions and Feedback.

Solfe
2012-Mar-24, 10:08 PM
I thought was the Banned Poster log.
*ducks*

Some people like to read the obituaries, I like to read the Banned Poster log. In some ways, they are the same thing.

Any thread post that takes the voice and tone of Publius Enigma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Enigma). I can't figure out what the original Publius Enigma was up to, I don't want try with a second rate copycat.

hewhocaves
2012-Mar-24, 11:49 PM
Well, I think we are all fundamentally in agreement here. Good meeting, everyone. Meet again last Tuesday?

Jim
2012-Mar-25, 01:12 AM
About two years after the final post is made in this thread, I intend to reopen it with the following:

Wow! I just found this thread. Great stuff. I agree.

Trebuchet
2012-Mar-25, 02:50 AM
About two years after the final post is made in this thread, I intend to reopen it with the following:

Followed by me clicking the black triangle. After two or three members say "Welcome to Baut".

Tog
2012-Mar-25, 09:45 AM
I think cheese if fun to eat. What do you all think?

Fifteen minutes later...

WHY IS NO ONE TALKING TO ME??? I THOUGHT THIS WAS A DISCUSSION BOARD??? WHY IS NO ONE DISCUSSING THIS?

tashirosgt
2012-Mar-25, 03:16 PM
I want to thank all those who replied. ( I do this as a matter of politeness, not because I read all of the messages.) As it turns out, I found the answer to my questions on a different forum. The answers there were much more clear and complete that the ones I got here. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Swift
2012-Mar-25, 10:19 PM
I, for one, welcome our annoying thread overlords.

danscope
2012-Mar-26, 12:19 AM
I have an excellent suggestion; why not offer this thread as the continuing present conversation , but at the interest of our good friend and monitor. It is his time and task of following our conversation. Let all governing come cheerfully from him. It allows for flexibilityof subjects of interest, and as such is a controlled experiment, We collectively agree to simple moderation which makes it a success , even over time. Or start a thread with permission by agreement. or not.

" No one rides Shadowfax . He is willing to carry you.......... or not. " Gandolf

Nicolas
2012-Mar-26, 07:36 AM
Popular thread that has been running for 3 years but has a title that is so vague I still can't remember what the thread is about without opening it.

mike alexander
2012-Mar-26, 03:40 PM
Any thread containing posts that end in ..........hmmmmmm.

danscope
2012-Mar-26, 10:17 PM
Sounds like ' thinking ' , hmmmm......

mike alexander
2012-Mar-27, 01:39 AM
Just sayin'.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-27, 07:02 AM
So are you annoyed with thread titles starting with so?

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-27, 07:09 AM
So are you annoyed with posts starting with so?
There, I fixed it.

WaxRubiks
2012-Mar-27, 08:38 AM
That reminds me, it annoys me when people call threads, 'posts'.

Nicolas
2012-Mar-27, 11:51 AM
Or when people find their own opinion or interpretation so all-important that they feel the need to "fix" yours. ;) ;)

TJMac
2012-Mar-29, 12:01 AM
I found this video on yootoob, and I keep watching it over and over and over. It scares me so much I cant eat and cant sleep and its making me sick.

Reply: Its all nonsense, just ignore it.

Well, yes true, but it might not be, and I found another video on yootoob that says even worse things. It's really freaking me out, so I am going to go spend a few more hours finding more and more videos that freak me out. Please tell me these things aren't real.

Reply: They aren't real.

But they might be. I'm going to go throw up, I'm so worried, then I'm going to go surf yootoob some more to find videos that scare me.

DonM435
2012-Mar-29, 02:41 AM
I found this video on yootoob, and I keep watching it over and over and over. It scares me so much I cant eat and cant sleep and its making me sick.

Reply: Its all nonsense, just ignore it.

Well, yes true, but it might not be, and I found another video on yootoob that says even worse things. It's really freaking me out, so I am going to go spend a few more hours finding more and more videos that freak me out. Please tell me these things aren't real.

Reply: They aren't real.

But they might be. I'm going to go throw up, I'm so worried, then I'm going to go surf yootoob some more to find videos that scare me.

Whatever it was, I believe it, and we're both in big trouble! I'm off to hide.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-29, 02:44 AM
OP: Science is wrong. For instance, relativity is complete rubbish because squaring the speed of light means an impossible speed and a bucket of water can't burn like petrol.

Various posters: No, these are not meaningful objections, for the following well-explained reasons...

OP: Oh I see! Thanks for putting me right.

(That last line would mean the thread is not annoying.)

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-29, 05:30 PM
... and a bucket of water can't burn like petrol.
Don't use that that one around someone in N.E. Ohio. Around here it happens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_River), along with other things that burn including mayors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Perk).

Strange
2012-Mar-29, 06:54 PM
Michell, commenting after Shepard's death, said that when problems with Antares stared to arise and it looked like he landing might be iffy, he felt like Shepard was going to land that thing at all costs or die trying. No way would he have he have aborted.

Hi my name is, er ... Dave. Yes, Dave. That's it. I'm new here. Honestly, I have never been here before. I am a practising psychiatrist with 70 years experience of personality disorders. I am also a world famous orchestral conductor, Olympic pentathlon and, let's say, "soldier of fortune". The fact that NASA would allow someone like this into "space" just proves that the entire set up is faked. The moon doesn't actually exist. I asked my girlfriend, my wife, my sister, this little puppy here (awwww, cute) and a friend who is an expert on navigation, and they all think I am right. And they know much more about these things than I do. I am just learning from them. I didn't really think about it until the puppy chewed up one of my Apollo models. This got me thinking about how fragile they are. Then my sister pointed out that we can't see the other side of the moon and then it all fell into place. She is only five so she can see through the hype more clearly than those of us who have been brainwashed. So now we have all agreed on that ... [moderator's note: luckily, "Dave" got banned while still writing that post]

slang
2012-Mar-29, 10:33 PM
OP: Oh I see! Thanks for putting me right.

(That last line would mean the thread is not annoying.)

Ok.. the annoying version then:

OP: Oh I see! Thanks for putting me right!.. But...

[moderator's note: luckily, "Dave" got banned while still writing that post]

*wipes scotch from keyboard* :clap:

Paul Beardsley
2012-Mar-30, 06:04 AM
Ok.. the annoying version then:

OP: Oh I see! Thanks for putting me right!.. But...

Sorry, my lack of clarity. I meant, an acknowledgement of people's efforts to explain, rather than simply ignoring and walking away from a thread that provided the right answers but which weren't the right answers the OP wanted.

Tobin Dax
2012-Mar-31, 03:35 AM
I found this video on yootoob, . . . .

Off topic, I know, but I honestly do miss bmpbmp.

slang
2012-May-01, 06:09 PM
I really don't like these strict ATM rules. I'll post my ATM idea in fun & games!*

*) which, to my shame, I already have done several times. Mostly in the untrue facts threads.

Strange
2012-May-01, 06:17 PM
I want this thread closed.

Hey, moderators! Close this thread.

Hello? Is no one reading this? Hello ... <tumbleweed>

Swift
2012-May-01, 07:01 PM
You know, if you are going to complain about the slowness of moderation here and use the tumbleweed analogy, you could at least have the decency to find a tumbleweed smiley to add to your posts. :rolleyes: I mean in the old BABB days, I would have driven to Arizona, found an actual tumbleweed, and then driven to wherever Phil was living at the time and hand him the tumbleweed. These kids now a days....

http://www.animateit.net/data/media/august2009/th_tumbleweed.gif

http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/tumble-weed-smiley.gif?1292867692

http://www.awimb.com/fudforum/images/smiley_icons/tumbleweed.gif

http://www.southwestmafia.com/forumswm/images/smilies/tumbleweedswm.gif

korjik
2012-May-01, 07:12 PM
I havent ever learned any physics, and I dont really have an idea what the mainstream theories actually say, but I actually know how the universe works!!!

mike alexander
2012-May-01, 07:51 PM
"If you look at that pixel very carefully..."

Solfe
2012-May-01, 07:52 PM
On my first post, I know basic grammar and have a reasonably large vocabulary.

On post two, I propose something completely ludicrous in pigeon English. In this absolutely absolute universal final law of all of reality and impossibility of space travel post, I can spell theodolite, Newtonian, tachyon, covariance, Schrödinger and eggplant. For some reason I am unable to spell Neil, Buzz, Pete, Alan, Alan (the other one), Edgar, David, James, John, Charles, Eugene and Harrison.

Strange
2012-May-01, 08:05 PM
You know, if you are going to complain about the slowness of moderation here and use the tumbleweed analogy, you could at least have the decency to find a tumbleweed smiley to add to your posts.

if you are going to insist I bring my own tumbleweed, it is only fair that you make all those challenging me brign their tumbleweed as well. Or is this just yet MORE evidence of the bias of the so-called modeRATors who will are clearly paid by nasa to protect ... [ed. thank you that's quite enough]

SeanF
2012-May-01, 08:05 PM
It helps if you use a magnifying glass...

danscope
2012-May-02, 02:27 AM
" How does the Universe work? "

" It works Fine . " Standard US Navy reply.

Nereid
2012-May-02, 12:23 PM

Oh, and those pesky moderators. I had a perfectly innocent (and well-hidden) link, in my sig, that they went and removed. What link? To a website where you can get cheap Viagra, designer shoes, Nigerian princesses (or was it government officials, I forget), discount Frobnitz Wrist Fixers, .....

Nicolas
2012-May-02, 01:26 PM
pointless link (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129637-The-quot-Every-thread-that-s-ever-annoyed-you-quot-thread?p=2013589#post2013589)

[URLhttp://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129637-The-quot-Every-thread-that-s-ever-annoyed-you-quot-thread?p=2013589#post2013589With wrong parsing/[ULR]

Strange
2012-May-02, 11:13 PM
"There was an error with your post. The thread is now closed"

slang
2012-May-03, 12:19 AM
Hi! fun diskussions here! I to join healthy speak with you Sirs soon! I can haz PM?

Van Rijn
2012-May-03, 05:27 AM

Oh, yes! I put it in Photoshop, blew it up by 10,000%, adjusted a few dozen controls, saved it in JPEG, then loaded it in Gimp, then adjusted a few dozen controls there, then I put it back in Photoshop, did some other things I don't remember, but I NEVER MANIPULATED the image IN ANY WAY!

I can see now that it is a giant one-eyed cyborg rabbit. I can see the rectangular patterns, obviously not something that would be on a purely biological rabbit. And anyway, its one eye appears to be 50 miles across.

Solfe
2012-May-03, 12:37 PM
"I'm not judging, I am just saying..."

Oh, wait. That those aren't threads, those are conversations with my sister.

Swift
2012-May-03, 01:25 PM
I can see now that it is a giant one-eyed cyborg rabbit. I can see the rectangular patterns, obviously not something that would be on a purely biological rabbit. And anyway, its one eye appears to be 50 miles across.
I, for one, welcome our giant, one-eyed cyborg rabbit overlords.

Swift
2012-May-03, 01:26 PM
Hi! fun diskussions here! I to join healthy speak with you Sirs soon! I can haz PM?
Your example is leaving out an important characteristic, about 23 links to websites to buy fake designer shoes and Viagra.

mike alexander
2012-May-03, 04:13 PM
These equations clearly show...

Tobin Dax
2012-May-03, 06:53 PM
These equations clearly show...

They really don't. For the 33094823892123th time, would you please do a dimensional analysis?

Edit: I guess I had to say that the point out the annoying part: *no response*.

Extravoice
2012-May-05, 08:43 PM
I've got this model of the universe that explains everything. I'll show it to you when I get around to it, but first, let's discuss it for a while...okay?