PDA

View Full Version : Gestures I Haven't Heard Names For But Are Still Common. (From The Yawn Thread)

BigDon
2012-Mar-20, 10:16 PM
I actually came up with this thread the other day at a Thai restaurant and then the yawning thread set me to writing it.

At the Thai restarant I saw a well behaved ten year old girl get in over her head with some Thai seasoning, probably galanga or something along those lines.

Anyway she did the classic "three more chews", eyes squinted shut, each time the mouth closing a little wider open than the last time, then the tongue pushes the contents out.

What do they call that? Why an average of three more chews in most cases?

Then there is the tilting the head to one side when confronted by something novel.

A suprising amount of creatures do it. I was told it had to do with focusing the proper hemisphere of the brain. I refute that explaination because even creatures not built on that architecture do that. Jumping spiders, for instance. Mantids for another. Mantis shrimp for another.

Jumping spiders don't even have necks! They have to tip their bodies to do it!

Why do people make bunny hands when they sleep?

Some things I have learned the why of, but still don't know the name. When somebody is stressed and hugging one arm around themselves, usually while touching their own face with the other arm, it's a signal they want somebody to hug *them*. Saw it in a film where anthropologists set up cameras at a large amusment park. Specifically, at the park's lost and found for children. Pretty good place to find adults stressed out more than ethics would allow in normal human experiments. (I would hope.)

"We've stolen your children ma'am. Can you tell us how that makes you feel?"

Once I learned that bit I've have put it to very good use several times over the decades since then. People do in fact want to be hugged when you see them like that, in most cases.

(Don't laugh, but I studied anthropology to be a better D&D refferee.)

and THEN there's all the little consistant oddities that occur during human procreation, and the lead up to it, I'd like to ask about, depending on how serious the replies are.

BigDon
2012-Mar-21, 01:47 PM
By the deafening silence I can presume then that there are no names for these gestures?

Well, somebody better hurry up and find them or I'll go and invent some.

Then you'll be stuck with:

"The child looked at the math problem on the blackboard, his head besnurfled in confusion."

And nobody wants to see that.

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-21, 01:53 PM
Let's call out for Fazor. He's good with making up words.

profloater
2012-Mar-21, 03:05 PM
Well the three chew spit out is called the Thai-chew (yes of course I did just make that up but I have tried Thai home mades and found it a little on the hot side too.)
The tilted head I call the canted-gaze, very winsome.
The hug seeker pose I guess is the wannahug,;

but I welcome alternatives Don, what do you think?

BigDon
2012-Mar-21, 05:44 PM
Well the three chew spit out is called the Thai-chew (yes of course I did just make that up but I have tried Thai home mades and found it a little on the hot side too.)
The tilted head I call the canted-gaze, very winsome.
The hug seeker pose I guess is the wannahug,;

but I welcome alternatives Don, what do you think?

Pro, I don't believe it was an issue of being too picante as much as a flavor sensation well beyond her "comfort zone". Her parents weren't that mean and I KNOW the restarant isn't going to serve a child death on a platter. I've been going ther 20 years (Thai Stick in San Bruno). And I still have to ask twice for the really hot sauce on my spicy angel wings. :) (No, I mean it! Honest! Light me up!) On the other hand, I've had a soup that set my hair on end and it wasn't picante in the least. I forget the name at the moment.

I'll ask my friend Bob later today. He really likes it and he ate his and mine. (Little early to bother him yet.)

profloater
2012-Mar-21, 06:17 PM
OK corrected for flavour overload... how about the Gurnybarf?

BigDon
2012-Mar-21, 06:19 PM
OK corrected for flavour overload... how about the Gurnybarf?

Excellent!

If this forum had a point system I'd give you one!

BigDon
2012-Mar-21, 06:21 PM
Did I just highjack my own thread?

dgavin
2012-Mar-21, 07:55 PM
the three chew spit out is called depending on the circumstances (dislike or too spicy), the BLEEEECH face, or the Texas Slow Burn Chili Face.
The tilted head manuver actualy has real names, "quizical look" or quizically.
Why do people make bunny hands when they sleep? Because they can?
The hug seeker pose, i don't think this has an word, but I personaly call it a the OhCrapINeedHelpAndAHugHold. When done in the WWE wreslting ring it's the IEscapedFromTheInvertedLegLockHold

Ara Pacis
2012-Mar-22, 11:18 AM
I'm not even sure what bunny hands means.

The quizzical look probably came about as a means to vary one's field of vision in order to obtain a new perspective when one sees something unexpected. In humans it probably is more of an intentional non-verbal communication than a reflex.

LookingSkyward
2012-Mar-22, 12:11 PM
the chew & spit should be referred to as the Ptui, I believe :>

profloater
2012-Mar-22, 03:40 PM
Quizzical now is reserved for pub quizzes which are staggeringly popular and expresses the look on most faces immediately after each question leaving only the Smuggard who knows the answer with a face which could develop into the Gurnybarf if she suddenly realises the quizmanster said "Greek myth" and not "Ena from Neighbours".

Strange
2012-Mar-22, 03:42 PM
I'm not even sure what bunny hands means.

I'm glad someone else said that. I was beginning to wonder if there was such a thing as a stupid question after all.

John Mendenhall
2012-Mar-22, 05:18 PM
Big D., your procreation question will require a few PM's. Stand by!

Personally, I liked besnurfled, but quizzical is already in use. Speaking of which, we lived in Santa Rosa, which has the usual Bay Area style large open shopping center, including a Hickory Farms that had a small plastic cow out front. A large German shepherd came wandering through, alone, and spotted the cow. He promptly went over and did the standard dog greeting inspection, then backed away doing a fine besnurfled look. Probably wondered if something was wrong with his nose. I could swear he shrugged his shoulders before he left!

Regards, John M.