PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter

BrentArsement
2012-Mar-25, 11:19 PM
Is Jupiter heading to the tail of the heliosphere? If so, when will it reach this location? Thanks for any discussion.

Brent

Jens
2012-Mar-26, 12:04 AM
I'm curious why you're asking. I'm not sure, but since Jupiter's orbit takes about 12 earth years, then it will be at the location closest to the heliosphere once every 12 years. Plus, just in case there's a misunderstanding, it's not headed "to" the tail of the heliosphere, since obviously it never reaches it because the heliosphere's edge is much further out than Jupiter ever gets.

It seems there may be some relationship between Jupiter's magnetosphere and the heliosphere. Is this what you are asking about?

BrentArsement
2012-Mar-26, 04:14 PM
I realize it doesn't actually reach the tail, though it does reach the tailend of the heliosphere once in its orbit. I am curious when does it reach this location, in its current 12ish year orbit? Yes, there is a relationship with it and the heliosphere, but this is not the focus of my question. Thanks Jens.

Brent

lpetrich
2012-Mar-31, 06:33 PM
What qualifies as the tail of the heliosphere?

Are you sure that you don't mean the Voyager spacecraft? That's because Jupiter isn't anywhere close to the heliosphere's boundary.

BrentArsement
2012-Apr-16, 04:25 AM
Take a look at this body of work done on our ion flux, linked below. One important note is the distinction of our heliosphere's direction of travel and the location of Earth at various locations in it's annual orbit and whether there are significant differences of ion flux from the front (helionose) to the rear (heliotail) of the heliosphere. What do you or others think of this work? Thanks.

http://www-ssg.sr.unh.edu/index.html?tof/Papers/PickupHe/

Additionally, can someone show me to a website that allows me to view our planet's orbits at various dates? I am very curious where Jupiter will be in the next 12 months, reference it's location within the heliosphere. Thanks.

Ara Pacis
2012-Apr-16, 09:43 AM
Well, since the sun is moving in the direction of Vega, I would assume that anything that happens along the axis of motion of the sun, such as a an object intersecting gravitational collation of ions aft of the Sun would occur when Vega is in conjunction with the sun from the position of the object. I don't know when that conjunction is, perhaps in mid January from what I've read, but that material is suspect. Of course, this may be moot if the phenomena you're looking for (with regards to planetary orbits) have a narrow zone, since the apex is significantly inclined to the ecliptic.