PDA

View Full Version : Future Martian Conspiracies

jaki
2004-Aug-19, 03:26 PM
One day (hopefully soon) humans will visit Mars, i just wonder if there will be the same did they/ did'nt they argument as the Moon, or has our technology moved on so much that it will blow any doubt away?

Glom
2004-Aug-19, 03:35 PM
There will no doubt be Marshoax conspiracists spewing the same bilk as usual, probably hiding behind the guise that modern special effects make it all the more credible.

However, I think that the nature of such a mission today would be different. It would be like Big Brother in space, with helmet cams, shoulder cams, knee cams. The whole thing will be recorded from multiple angles real time. The BBC will set up an interactive service so you can view the mission how you want. There will be a lot more material to be dismissed. Besides, I don't think we'll have to worry about it until twenty or thirty years after because when it's actually happening, such conspiracy theories aren't as convincing as when they're about long past events.

jaki
2004-Aug-19, 03:42 PM
Great points.... I totally forgot about the Big Bro world we inhabit today. Let's hope we don't have to decide which astronauts to evict!!! Actually that might be fun. Glad you're back

jt-3d
2004-Aug-19, 09:29 PM
Well, for one thing, Mars has an atmosphere so pictures of distant hills will look distant. No more of that same background stuff. If the moon had an atmosphere a whole lot of the photo 'evidence' would fall down. The Mars Hoax will live regardless however.

JustAGuy
2004-Aug-19, 10:36 PM
The Mars Hoax will live regardless however. If only because the photos they'll take on Earth-orbit departure will show a round Earth, when we all know it's flat.