PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Track

DoggerDan
2012-Mar-27, 04:15 PM
In response to privacy concerns, the FTC is pushing for adoption of a Do Not Track policy: http://news.yahoo.com/regulators-unveil-online-privacy-report-151411491.html

I like their sentiments, but think it's largely vaporware without regulation in place mandating Do Not Track as the default unless people specifically choose to opt in.

Swift
2012-Mar-27, 05:03 PM
Let's make sure we keep this discussion on the technical, moral, ethical, and emotional aspects of this, and avoid discussion of government regulation, which would get into politics.

Solfe
2012-Mar-27, 05:04 PM
Personally I think the end user needs to adopt tracking blocking software until the policy is in force. I am using Ghostery.

I would like to see more of "an information control" policy implemented, where companies have to have explicit permission to capture, collect and share information on users. I would prefer terribly onerous system such as having to physically mail permission request letters every 90 days until the first time no response is received or permission is rejected, then the information has to be deleted. Each piece of data requires this permission.

Gillianren
2012-Mar-27, 05:52 PM
A friend suggested a Do Not Track add-on for Firefox, but they don't currently have one for my edition of Opera, which is the browser I prefer. I only use Firefox for those sites which don't work well with Opera.

Solfe
2012-Mar-28, 01:16 AM
A friend suggested a Do Not Track add-on for Firefox, but they don't currently have one for my edition of Opera, which is the browser I prefer. I only use Firefox for those sites which don't work well with Opera.

Opera was one of my favorite browsers under Mac OS 9. I am going to install it on my wife PC for memory's sake. :)

DoggerDan
2012-Mar-28, 12:26 PM
Well, Solfe, having bounced between the many, I think FF is the best for many reasons, including both security and the integrity of those who're offering it.

Yeah, I know - still using Chrome. Not for long.

Solfe
2012-Mar-29, 12:47 AM
I am all about google... I might as well download the google tattoo. I would like to think I am not sharing that much information, but I doubt it.

Inclusa
2012-Mar-29, 03:29 AM
Does anyone use duckduckgo for their search engine?

Solfe
2012-Mar-29, 05:59 PM
I use DuckDuckGo for research. Google has a tendency of bring up the same couple of pages in the first couple ranks even when the search words change slightly.

Ara Pacis
2012-Mar-29, 11:21 PM
A right to privacy, by constitutional amendment or by legislation, won't matter unless there is teeth to back it up. Businesses might feel compelled to use-opt-in practices but that doesn't guarantee they will actually do it. Trespassing might be illegal, but fences and locked doors are still the primary means of prevention instead of a deterrent based on punishment. So, using proper software and browsing habits is still important.