PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if bad or not. . .

Wally
2002-May-22, 01:56 PM
The following is from CNN's website:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/05/21/new.iceberg.ap/index.html

It talks about a new iceberg that broke away recently. Following is a blurb from the article:

"Just last week, an iceberg nearly as large as the Chesapeake Bay _ called C-19 -- broke away from Antarctica, where it is late summer. "

Since we're well into spring here in the northern Hemi., it doesn't seem right to call it "late Summer" in the Antartic to me. However, if they don't count Fall and Spring as seasons down there, then perhaps this is correct. Hmmmm.

Jigsaw
2002-May-23, 03:26 AM
I saw that, too. I'm guessing it's just a typo, that the writer meant to say "Late Fall" instead of "Late Summer".

If it's Late Spring in the Northern Hemisphere, then it's Late Fall in the Southern Hemisphere.

If it's Early Summer in the Northern Hemisphere, then it's Early Winter in the Southern Hemisphere.

If it's Late Winter in the Northern Hemisphere, then it's Late Summer in the Southern Hemisphere.

So it would have to be Late Winter here for it to be Late Summer in Antarctica, and I dunno about places like Alaska and Minnesota /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif but here in Illinois, "May" is definitely "Late Spring" or "Early Summer", recent low temperatures notwithstanding.

Jim
2002-May-23, 03:46 PM
I dunno about these seasons. Here in South Texas, we only have two... Summer and February.

Wally
2002-May-23, 04:41 PM
I hear ya! Here in the upper MidWest, we're experiencing our 3rd month of March in a row now. Hmm. Wonder if we'll get a 2 month credit at the end of the year. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Wiley
2002-May-23, 06:43 PM
On 2002-05-23 11:46, Jim wrote:
I dunno about these seasons. Here in South Texas, we only have two... Summer and February.

When I lived in Michigan it was 9 months of winter and 3 months of road construction.

Kaptain K
2002-May-24, 09:43 AM
Here in Centex, it's: mild drought, moderate drought, severe drought and flood. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Or. "Nine months of summer and three monthe of brisk swimming."