PDA

View Full Version : Venus and (planets) in the morning

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Aug-22, 07:03 PM
Anyone else watching Venus in the morning, approaching Saturn? At the end of August, they'll be close together, in the middle of the long arc of Castor and Pollux, Procyon, and Sirius.

um3k
2004-Aug-22, 11:55 PM
I would like to, but I never get up early enough.

beskeptical
2004-Aug-23, 02:48 AM
I have been watching Venus. It is right out my window. I wake up off and on during the night and there she is. :D Been getting higher and higher before dawn. I hadn't noticed Saturn so now I'll have to pay attention.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Aug-23, 04:52 AM
The gemini twins are in the picture. Venus is about as high as Castor, but Pollux is a little bit closer to Saturn. The twins are mag. one, and Saturn is mag. zero, so it's some brighter than they are. This morning, Pollux is just about the same (7-8 deg) distance from Saturn as Venus is, but on different sides, so they make a oblique triangle.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Aug-28, 10:52 AM
Saturn and Venus were closer together than Castor and Pollux, this morning. A little less than four degrees. In three days, that'll be less than two degrees.

jaki
2004-Aug-28, 11:38 AM
I woke up at about 4.45 this morning so i took a look out of the window and was amazed to see Venus shining so brightly, i can't remembr the last time i saw her looking so lush. I will now keep a watch out for Saturn and try my hand at some photography, i just hope the clouds keep away, it's been terrible for skywatching in Newcastle over the last few months.

Marjorie
2004-Aug-28, 04:33 PM
I live in Western Canada and the weather is usually gorgeous in August and September. This year, unfortunately, the weather changed a couple of weeks ago and I'm not seeing anything but cloud. Last time I saw Venus was about two weeks ago. Our long range forecast is showing neverending rain for the month of September.

If I wake up early enough, or go to bed late enough, it is sometimes partly clear. Not at the right time for Saturn and Venus, though. The wee small hours are a good time to look at stars. Not as much light pollution.

R.A.F.
2004-Aug-28, 04:57 PM
I woke up at about 4.45 this morning so i took a look out of the window and was amazed to see Venus shining so brightly, i can't remembr the last time i saw her looking so lush.

I'm always up before sunrise, and yes, Venus was spectacular this morning! I can understand how "some" might mistake it for a UFO.

umop ap!sdn
2004-Aug-28, 05:41 PM
Also haven't been getting up early enough, but now that the weather is starting to clear up over here maybe I should.

A couple months ago I was spending the night in an RV and for that one night only, the window over my pillow happened to be pointed east. I awoke at about 4:30 the next morning to find Venus in formation with the Hyades. It was beautiful. Reminded me of about 2 years before when Saturn was in a similar position. :)

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Aug-30, 07:52 AM
A couple months ago I was spending the night in an RV and for that one night only, the window over my pillow happened to be pointed east. I awoke at about 4:30 the next morning to find Venus in formation with the Hyades. It was beautiful.
Yes Venus did a turn-around in the Hyades at the end of June, in the morning. It's dropped through another constellation since then.

Even though it's been cloudy, Venus has shown through the haze. Tomorrow, Castor, Pollux, Saturn, Venus, and Procyon will be a nice early morning line-up, with Sirius farther out.

Kaptain K
2004-Aug-30, 09:15 AM
Of course, the woo woos over at GLP are going absolutely bonkers. Must be half a dozen threads saying, in essence "Venus is huge. It's really getting closer. We're all gonna die!!!! #-o

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Aug-30, 09:45 AM
That's just Anonymous Coward. What a card. There's also a thread about the arrival of sunspot 0666 (http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ftpdir/forecasts/SRS/0830SRS.txt) at the start of the RNC--nevermind that that's a shorthand for Active Region 10666 (http://spaceweather.com/sunspots/history.html).

Spaceweather.com (http://www.spaceweather.com/) has a nice map (http://www.spaceweather.com/images2004/31aug04/skymap_north.gif) of what the sky with Saturn and Venus will look like tomorrow. A lot of bright stars in that picture.

Manchurian Taikonaut
2004-Aug-30, 09:04 PM
Got them,
it's very early in the morn' but they make a lovely sight.

Venus photo

http://www.universetoday.com/forum/uploads/post-17-1093898755.jpg

Saturn pic

Picture of Saturn in before dawn (http://www.universetoday.com/forum/uploads/post-17-1093898916.jpg)

:D

Richard of Chelmsford
2004-Aug-30, 09:27 PM
That's just Anonymous Coward. What a card. There's also a thread about the arrival of sunspot 0666 (http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ftpdir/forecasts/SRS/0830SRS.txt) at the start of the RNC--nevermind that that's a shorthand for Active Region 10666 (http://spaceweather.com/sunspots/history.html).

Spaceweather.com (http://www.spaceweather.com/) has a nice map (http://www.spaceweather.com/images2004/31aug04/skymap_north.gif) of what the sky with Saturn and Venus will look like tomorrow. A lot of bright stars in that picture.

A Thousand Pardons..just to flippantly digress...

Agree with your astronomical observations but...

Do you like Thousand Islands Dressing?? 8-[

Dgennero
2004-Aug-30, 10:58 PM
Whaddya mean "get up this early" ? 8)
I work night shift and observe Venus and Saturn after work, that is, from about 4AM to 6AM.

JustAGuy
2004-Aug-30, 11:15 PM
I live in Western Canada and the weather is usually gorgeous in August and September. This year, unfortunately, the weather changed a couple of weeks ago and I'm not seeing anything but cloud. Last time I saw Venus was about two weeks ago. Our long range forecast is showing neverending rain for the month of September.
Yeah. Sorry about that. I bought a scope, which seems to have attracted every cloud within 100km... all my friends are asking me to send it back so we can get some sun, finally...

Marjorie
2004-Aug-31, 07:24 PM
Posting here must improve the weather! The day after I posted, the weather turned gorgeous and I've been seeing Venus and lots of beautiful stars! :D

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Aug-31, 07:32 PM
French

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Sep-01, 03:50 AM
I feel the need
to type a screed
of planetary sights

Sunlight shunned
I have my fun
whilst you sleep -- 'cause I work nights...

Everyone's been talking about the planets up early in the ayem, and I'm finally getting my act into some semblance of togetherness...I get off work here at The Major Midwestern Metropolitan College Of Higher Knowledge at midnight, and seeing as I sleep all day, I'm turning into a real night owl.
For medical reasons, ye olde sawbones has been insistent on my getting exercise. Anyone who has ever met me knows I'm no Olympic athlete -- if I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself 30 years ago...but now, I go out for long walks while the rest of the world zzzzz's out...it may not sound like much, but a mile and a half in 45 minutes is world record pace for me! Got the pedometer, got the stopwatch/sports radio on the arm, got the old mop handles with crutch tips doing the ski pole thing...and there's no one else out there to bother or to bother me at 4 ayem or so...
So last night I was reading this thread just before I got off work, and figgered I'd cast a more critical glance at the sky when I went out. Got home about three, took a short nap until 415 or so, and headed out about four-thirtyish for my morning constitumptional. I remember stepping off the porch out from under the awning and thinking I may have to search for a minute or two to find Venus and Saturn, but there they were blazing away and plainly obvious. I'd tucked my little 8x21 monocular in my pocket, so I whipped it out and tele-gazed for a couple of minutes.
Venus is blindingly bright, to the point it's difficult to tell any phase. I'm almost guessing that if the full moon hadn't been out, Venus would have been bright enough to cast dim shadows...
Saturn was there, dimmer but still obvious. 8x mag isn't enough to resolve the rings, but it was discernible that the speck up there was something other than round...
Off I went, struttin' my stuff down the road on my predetermined course, looking up at what was in the sky occasionally. I was limited to the quadrant NE to S because of the light pollution, but there was plenty to keep my interest there...Orion, Taurus, Gemini, the Pleiades, M42, Aldebaran...
When I got home, I spent some cooldown time with my 12x60's on the monopod. 12x still isn't enough to resolve rings, but things were a bit plainer in Saturn's case. I'm still getting used to the nebula filters. I'm kinda hopin' that they make things stand out a bit more under less light polluted skies...

Well, tonite I'm going home and make myself a bowl of soup (green pea? mushroom? beef'n'barley?...dunno yet) and take a tad's worth of a nap. Maybe 230 ayem or so, I'm gonna hoist myself out and take my walk on a new course...we'll see if I'm in better shape or not after 2 1/4 miles. That oughtta put me home about 4ish or so, and I'm breakin' out the basketball with a smokestack for my cooldown time on the front porch...a 105mm reflector at 50x or so oughtta resolve those rings...

I hope to drift off to sleep with a smile on my face and visions of the Cassini gap drifting through my dreams...

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Sep-01, 10:18 AM
if I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself...
Mickey Mantle!

Clouds, clouds, and more clouds, the last couple days, so I've been out of luck. I guess I just wait until Nov. 4, when Venus gets down to Jupiter. Jupiter will be closer and brighter than Saturn now, but a lot closer to the Sun--still should be impressive. Then Venus will visit Mars, and then Mercury.

June, 2005, that's when things will be impressive. You won't have to get up early.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Sep-03, 04:48 PM
Around 5:30 this morning, the skies were clear, and there was a great view of Orion surrounded by the arc of Capella, Gemini, the two planets, and the two dog stars.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Sep-08, 06:03 PM
rain, rain, rain

Space.com (http://www.space.com/spacewatch/040903_mercury_visible.html) has a good article on seeing Mercury over the next few weeks, with Mercury appearing very close to Regulus, in Leo. The article quotes Asimov, as to the famous difficulty of seeing Mercury.

But as Venus leaves Saturn now, it will gradually approach to within a degree of Jupiter around Nov. 5, then just over a degree from Mars on Dec. 5, then it will be within a degree of Mercury (on Mercury's "return" morning visit) at the end of December, and the two will spiral into each other, until on Jan. 13 they are only 20 arcmin apart. If you've never seen Mercury before, you will not be able to miss it in January.

kylenano
2004-Sep-12, 10:24 AM
One of our cats wakes me up about 4.30/5am most mornings. About the only advantage of this is that I wouldn't have seen Venus over the past few weeks (I wonder if she's an astronomer cat? :) ).

This morning the sky was completely clear and by 6am I'd seen: Pleiades, Hyades, Orion, Sirius, Castor, Pollux, Saturn, Venus, crescent Moon with earthshine, Regulus and Mercury spread across the sky. Mercury rose through a silver birch. (quickly?? :) )

It really was a beautiful sight, but no one else in the house was awake, and I doubt I'd have had much success waking anyone at that hour! So I do most of my stargazing with the company of two cats. One of the hazards of astronomy that doesn't get mentioned in the textbooks: tortoiseshell cats, with mainly black fur, in the dark. I haven't fallen over them...yet.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Sep-12, 11:05 AM
Mercury spread across the sky. Mercury rose through a silver birch. (quickly??
Are you saying it was a quicksilver birch?

kylenano
2004-Sep-13, 04:44 AM
Mercury spread across the sky. Mercury rose through a silver birch. (quickly??
Are you saying it was a quicksilver birch?
Yes, a very silly joke :D

It's cloudy and drizzly this morning :(

Eroica
2004-Sep-13, 07:17 AM
Eureka!

This morning at about 6 am clear skies in the east co-operated for once. Mercury (mag -0.7) lay just 3 degrees to the right of the Moon, with Saturn, Venus and Regulus all in a line above it.

The thin sliver of Moon (2% illuminated, 32 hours from new), with the "dark" side in Earthshine, made for an unforgettable image. Wish I had a camera!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Sep-14, 01:13 PM
Nice Eroica, that would have been just a day before new moon.

Here, we have rain, and clouds.

tracer
2004-Sep-14, 02:44 PM
I guess I just wait until Nov. 4, when Venus gets down to Jupiter. Jupiter will be closer and brighter than Saturn now, but a lot closer to the Sun--still should be impressive. Then Venus will visit Mars, and then Mercury.
Venus is always visiting Mercury. They should just get a room.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-04, 07:34 PM
But as Venus leaves Saturn now, it will gradually approach to within a degree of Jupiter around Nov. 5, then just over a degree from Mars on Dec. 5, then it will be within a degree of Mercury (on Mercury's "return" morning visit) at the end of December, and the two will spiral into each other, until on Jan. 13 they are only 20 arcmin apart. If you've never seen Mercury before, you will not be able to miss it in January.
I just got a wake up call from Montana, reminding me about this. Tomorrow morning, watch for it. They'll be just a little more than 2/3 degree apart. Venus magnitude -4 (of course), Jupiter -1.7

Sure, they were close this morning, but tomorrow, even closer.

Wolverine
2004-Nov-04, 07:37 PM
Whee (http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/article_1364_1.asp). 8)

pumpkinpie
2004-Nov-04, 08:22 PM
I actually would have set my alarm for this one. (I'm not an early morning riser!) But alas it was clooooudy here......Will try again tomorrow! Gotta see it. They are gonna be so darned close!

jt-3d
2004-Nov-05, 03:01 AM
I went out to put out the trash and spotted it. I didn't know what it was but I knew it was something different. Alas, once discovered what it was and announced it to the household, there was not much rejoicing but I thought it was cool anyway.

fuzzhead
2004-Nov-05, 10:25 AM
watching this right now...... very amazing.... at first we didnt know what the hell it was... then 5 minutes of the internet i discovered its venus and jupiter....

the one on the left (jupiter) is REALLY bright, and its shimmering alot, its really cool to watch. the other parts of the sky is really nice too, and this is coming from a downtown Detroit. perfect night for sky watching!!

Wolverine
2004-Nov-05, 11:04 AM
The one on the left would be Venus -- many times brighter than Jupiter. ;)

fuzzhead
2004-Nov-05, 11:24 AM
:oops: thanx for correction of typo

cyswxman
2004-Nov-05, 12:14 PM
Nice view from here. Especially considering anytime a celestial event occurs, it is usually cloudy here!

Wolverine
2004-Nov-05, 12:19 PM
Looks marvelous here too. I'm amazed that the clouds left me alone. 8)

Jim
2004-Nov-09, 05:42 PM
I thought the show was over. Venus and Jupiter were very close to one another Saturday morning, then started moving apart... not quite so grand a sight.

But, this morning, the crescent moon joined them. Whoa!

Alomost makes getting up at 5:00am worth it.

pumpkinpie
2004-Nov-09, 06:56 PM
I thought the show was over. Venus and Jupiter were very close to one another Saturday morning, then started moving apart... not quite so grand a sight.

But, this morning, the crescent moon joined them. Whoa!

Alomost makes getting up at 5:00am worth it.

Did anyone see the crescent Moon occult Jupiter today? I'm not sure exactly where in the world you had to be to see it, but here in MD it happened from 11:08 a.m until 12:11 p.m. EST. We had a telescope set up, and the clouds "did their job" to obscure the actual times of contact, but I got to see Jupiter very close to the moon just before and just after.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-09, 07:21 PM
Did anyone see the crescent Moon occult Jupiter today? I'm not sure exactly where in the world you had to be to see it, but here in MD it happened from 11:08 a.m until 12:11 p.m. EST. We had a telescope set up, and the clouds "did their job" to obscure the actual times of contact, but I got to see Jupiter very close to the moon just before and just after.
SarahMc saw it (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=362496#362496), I happened to see it pop out, thanks to her mention of it.

An hour later, I went out and looked at the moon again, with binoculars. The moon was lower, and the haze seemed even worse. I couldn't find Jupiter, but Venus was easy to spot. I stopped and thought about it, and realized that the moon would have moved about a diameter away from Jupiter in that time, and with that knowledge, I was able to find Jupiter, but just barely.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-02, 10:36 AM
Venus has progressed down to Mars, it's almost there, they're only two degrees apart. Mars is not all that bright right now, but tomorrow it gets very close to alpha Libra, aka Zubenelgenubi--always a fun name to work into a conversation.

The rendezvous with Mercury is only four weeks away.

Chip
2004-Dec-02, 11:01 AM
...Mars is not all that bright right now, but tomorrow it gets very close to alpha Libra, aka Zubenelgenubi--always a fun name to work into a conversation...

Zubenelgenubi and Zubeneshamali - its also fun to get them both into a conversation, though Zubenelgenubi is a pretty cool name by itself. :wink:

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-05, 10:06 AM
Friday morning, with binoculars, I managed to catch Mars just 15 arcsec above Zubenelgenubi. I was rushed to work, or I would have pointed out that folks farther west than I had a chance to see them less than 6 sec apart.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-07, 09:11 AM
Jupiter is being eclipsed by the moon, for those of you wfo are not fogged in. Watch its moons appear from the dark side in about an hour.

Eroica
2004-Dec-07, 09:21 AM
It's not being occulted from my location, but with the Moon acting as a guide, it's a perfect opportunity to see Jupiter in broad daylight - which I've just done! 8)

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-10, 11:17 AM
From Sky and Telescope's This Week's Sky at a Glance (http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance/article_110_1.asp): "During the next three days, all the major planets are arranged in Earth's sky in their natural order outward from the Sun."

Thanks, Wolverine
(http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=378325#378325)

Wolverine
2004-Dec-10, 11:45 AM
:D

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-10, 03:14 PM
Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be the next three weeks, more or less? Until Venus moves over past Mercury?

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-03, 04:47 PM
Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be the next three weeks, more or less? Until Venus moves over past Mercury?
So, that's over with.

Now, Venus has slid past Mercury, but Mercury will catch up over the next ten days, finally moving within about a third of a degree of Venus. Watch it happen!