PDA

View Full Version : OMG Google! what have you done?

Glom
2012-Apr-03, 07:38 PM
My phone installed the new Android this morning. There have been some very noticeable look 'n' feel changes.

Pretty much all of them are for the worse.

The cool curved phone button has been replaced with a Windows 7 style quick launch bar. The 3D effects on some of the widgets have been scaled back. In the web browser, the options tiles have been replaced by a dull list. On the music player, the buttons are replaced by a dull drop down. The YouTube app no longer had the classy black look and instead now looks like something British Rail would design.

It's like Rick Berman had taken over the mobile applications business.

These can't be performance related decisions because everything feels choppier than before (as we come to expect from OS upgrades).

Are Google reaching stage 3 of the evil mega-corp life cycle?

Solfe
2012-Apr-03, 07:55 PM
Phase one, install on every device. Phase two, hose all devices and await further orders...

Do you have an function that customises the look and feel of the phone? Sprints feature is on the main page called "Get ID". It is annoying because I tap this option when putting the phone in my pocket and when I pull it out I have no idea how my phone works.

Tuckerfan
2012-Apr-04, 02:45 AM
Take a look at the Android Central forums and see if someone there has come up with a solution to your problems. (Odds are if they haven't, they will soon.)

Drunk Vegan
2012-Apr-04, 03:38 PM
Have you ever considered rooting the phone and running a custom OS? I've done so and couldn't be happier with it, no more bloatware eating needed ram, no forced updates to buggier, uglier versions that eat more ram and power.

If you install a custom ROM as they're called, you can pick and choose all the features you want, including a lot that aren't available in the official Android firmware.

I'm running one called Velocity that allowed me to overclock my phone from 333mhz to 733mhz, runs so much better now and with the bloatware removed the battery actually lasts longer despite the overclock.

jokergirl
2012-Apr-04, 03:44 PM
Is that Ice Cream Sandwich or an even newer version?

I replace most of the OS graphics - running a different launcher etc. The only thing I can't get away is the top bar, of course.

mike alexander
2012-Apr-04, 08:11 PM
I keep hearing Alec Guinness saying the thread title.

SeanF
2012-Apr-04, 09:03 PM
I keep hearing Alec Guinness saying the thread title.
I don't know, I can't hear Sir Alec saying "OMG." :)

Although, now that I think about it, Robert Culp says "WTF" in an old episode of "I Spy," so...

mfumbesi
2012-Apr-05, 06:08 AM
I was also disappointed with the Android Market icon.

Glom
2012-Apr-05, 02:05 PM
Have you ever considered rooting the phone and running a custom OS? I've done so and couldn't be happier with it, no more bloatware eating needed ram, no forced updates to buggier, uglier versions that eat more ram and power.

If you install a custom ROM as they're called, you can pick and choose all the features you want, including a lot that aren't available in the official Android firmware.

I'm running one called Velocity that allowed me to overclock my phone from 333mhz to 733mhz, runs so much better now and with the bloatware removed the battery actually lasts longer despite the overclock.

I'll look it that.

Glom
2012-Apr-06, 10:40 PM
YouTube app crashed the phone completely. I had to pull out the battery. Then when going onto the Android forum after rebooting, it took three attempts to get it to recognise the link I pressed.

Google have been following the George Lucas school of product development.

This OS is so bad that I'm questioning my decision to move away from Apple.