PDA

View Full Version : Funny Nightmare

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-05, 08:13 AM
As I was running one of my standard nightmares – T-Rex chasing me through rubble – I realized that I was really his nightmare—last stupid mammal, can’t catch the darned thing…FRUSTRATION!.
So I holed up and asked him “Hey, why don’t we team up and pick on whoever it was that stuck us in each other’s nightmares?”

He said “I might, but I’m pretty sure it was you, you batherder*!”

*not positive he called me a batherder, but that was what it sort of sounded like….

tnjrp
2012-Apr-05, 08:22 AM
One supposes it can be difficult to make out what a T-rex is saying.

Mildly related:
http://io9.com/5898920/do-science-fiction-and-fantasy-cause-recurring-dreams

mfumbesi
2012-Apr-05, 09:49 AM
When the time machine is finally made, I suppose one of your great, great, grand kids will travel to 65million years ago and search for a troubled/sleepless T-rex.

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-05, 09:55 AM
When the time machine is finally made, they already have...

jokergirl
2012-Apr-05, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry - because I suspect it was me... <.<;

(I had a funny dream recently, a variation of the labyrinth dream - I found a way out, but then decided to go back and take a door through a wall. I ended up in the space between the walls of the labyrinth, able to look into the rooms of the labyrinth and the nightmares other people were having at the same time - things that I hadn't seen before. It was... amusing.)

;)

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-05, 10:56 AM
:> My nightmares seem to follow the rule 'the worst possible situation the might still be survivable'...

Tog
2012-Apr-05, 12:06 PM
I had a similar one once.

I was being chased through a hedge maze by a werewolf. Every time it looked like I had a way out, he'd jump over the wall and cut me off.

Finally, I turned down a dead-end path. As soon as I realized it, I spun around only to see the wolf land in front of me. He raised his hand and I stared up at the claws dangling over my head, and thought, "I don't like this. I want something different."

He brought his hand down, tapped me on the shoulder with one claw, and said "Tag. You're it." Then vaulted over a wall and left me all alone.

That's the first time I remember deciding to change a dream in progress. The rest have all involved falling from a great height and choosing not to hit the ground. In those I end up soaring over the town. Sometimes it's the town where I live, sometimes it's some county place with vibrantly colored rolling hills.

Buttercup
2012-Apr-05, 12:28 PM
As I was running one of my standard nightmares – T-Rex chasing me through rubble – I realized that I was really his nightmare—last stupid mammal, can’t catch the darned thing…FRUSTRATION!.
So I holed up and asked him “Hey, why don’t we team up and pick on whoever it was that stuck us in each other’s nightmares?”

*not positive he called me a batherder, but that was what it sort of sounded like….

Lol!! :D Amusing. I've never had such a dream. Interesting!

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-05, 02:43 PM
At least you guys have interesting dreams. I'm stuck with being in school and not knowing what or where my next class is.
And I've been out of school 40 years!

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-05, 02:45 PM
Yup, informal poll of former submariners for nightmares yielded 'being back on the boat and not remembering how to do something vital'. Mine are usually more dynamic. :>

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-05, 04:10 PM
Yup, informal poll of former submariners for nightmares yielded 'being back on the boat and not remembering how to do something vital'. Mine are usually more dynamic. :>

Yeah, I have "back at work" dreams as well. The interesting thing about both the school and the work dreams is that in both cases the setting is completely fictional, bearing little or no resemblance to anyplace I actually worked or went to school.

I've never, as far as I can recall, dreamed about hurling pumpkins!

Buttercup
2012-Apr-05, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I have "back at work" dreams as well. The interesting thing about both the school and the work dreams is that in both cases the setting is completely fictional, bearing little or no resemblance to anyplace I actually worked or went to school.

I've had a handful of "back to school" dreams (and yes -- is former school). As in, Why do I have to be in the 5th grade again?? The desks are too small, etc.. Humiliating!

Any work-related dreams revolve around having foolishly "up and quit" my job for no reason and I don't have another lined up. :o Then I'm frightened and ask for rehire (which I do get). Weird.

I've never, as far as I can recall, dreamed about hurling pumpkins!

You've just jinxed yourself, and will dream of hurling pumpkins tonight! I just hope for your sake the dream pumpkins don't get revenge on you. :p

KaiYeves
2012-Apr-05, 10:16 PM
Last night I dreamed I was at EPCOT, and I ran into astronaut Ron Garan in the Seas pavilion. I asked him how the simulated undersea base in the pavilion compared to actually living underwater in the NEEMO habitat, but I woke up before he could tell me.

danscope
2012-Apr-06, 04:23 AM
Sounds like that T-rex was 'talking through his teeth' .

BigDon
2012-Apr-06, 12:29 PM

When I was in the Navy one guy in my shop started a whole slew of other people having the same dream when he complained of dreaming about being chased by a T-rex in the hanger bay. I had the same darn dream two nights later, after some others had it the previous night and complained to the first guy about it.

I had to run from the back of hanger bay two to the front of hanger bay one and it really got exciting when you came to the divisional doors because they don't park aircraft close to where they close so you had about fifty feet of wide open area you had to cross before you could duck under another aircraft.

It would have got me but its foot got hung up on the tie down chains holding some yellow gear in place.

Anywho, I'm actually posting to say I just woke up from an odd though mild nightmare. I was washing my dishes and either trout or crappie were rising and hitting the surface whenever I turned to put a dish in the rack. Nightmarish only in the fact that at first I didn't realize I was dreaming, so I was a touch confused. It wasn't until the third time it happened that I realized I was dreaming. Of course I had to lean over the basin to see where they were swimming off to and I saw something BIG rising fast and that woke me up.

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-06, 12:48 PM
"I saw something BIG rising fast and that woke me up"... that's how all my water dreams end :>

Buttercup
2012-Apr-06, 02:26 PM
Last night I dreamed I was at EPCOT, and I ran into astronaut Ron Garan in the Seas pavilion. I asked him how the simulated undersea base in the pavilion compared to actually living underwater in the NEEMO habitat, but I woke up before he could tell me.

Oh, I just hate a dream wherein a conversation goes unfinished -- especially when it's a reply you want to hear. Or an action sequence is just getting really interesting, and you wake up. Dang it! :( ;)

ToSeek
2012-Apr-06, 03:05 PM

I had "back in school but totally unprepared" nightmares for at least a decade after I finished college, but they did stop eventually. For whatever reason, I've never had an "at work but totally clueless about it" nightmare ever, at least not that I remembered.

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-06, 03:22 PM
heh. I've had moments on the job that were "at work but totally clueless about it" - but I was awake :). I suspect the leftover submarine dreams are the final subconcious check before deleting old, complex proceedures no longer in use.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-06, 04:13 PM
I had "back in school but totally unprepared" nightmares for at least a decade after I finished college, but they did stop eventually. For whatever reason, I've never had an "at work but totally clueless about it" nightmare ever, at least not that I remembered.

I don't think I had the "clueless at work" ones until I retired! I'm not sure if I ever had the school ones while I was actually in school, either.

When I was working, I used to invent stuff in my dreams. It was always completely brilliant, but I could never remember what it was in the morning, just that I'd invented the greatest thing since sliced bread and now couldn't remember how it worked. I actually tried sleeping with notebook and pencil next to me so I could wake up and write it down. Never did.

One morning I awoke and realized that I had not only had one of these dreams, but remembered it with crystal clarity. I leaped out of bed, grabbed a pencil, and started sketching. Then I started looking at it. It was utterly ridiculous. It violated nearly every known law of physics, and probably some unknown ones as well. I don't invent much in my sleep any more, and if I do, I don't worry about it.

jokergirl
2012-Apr-06, 07:08 PM
I've noticed that phenomenon; you aren't so much dreaming of seeing/creating something great as you're dreaming the feeling of seeing/creating something great.

Buttercup
2012-Apr-11, 01:48 PM

Perhaps you "jinxed" me, because last night I dreamed a couple of friends, my husband and I were being chased by a T-Rex. We ran behind a gated chain-link fence (as if that could hold off the dino). :rolleyes: I called out to Mr. T-Rex to stop, don't eat us, we hadn't done anything wrong!

What a big scary mouth with those HUGE teeth -- yikes!

It backed off. *whew*

Never dreamed of a dinosaur before. :lol:

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-11, 01:49 PM
:>

Fazor
2012-Apr-11, 01:54 PM
Internet Science Time!

The ease at which T-Rex nightmares are triggered through even the mildest suggestion (evidence: Big Don's story, Buttercup) proves that there is some deep, hereditary memory engrained from a time when man lived alongside earth's greatest predator.

No further proofs needed. Thank you, and don't forget to use my real name when you build the statues and quote me in future science texts.

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-11, 01:56 PM
Watching Jurrasic Park before bed may help...

Buttercup
2012-Apr-11, 02:06 PM
I definitely see your point, Fazor.

I remember that movie stressing me out SO badly. Walked out of the theater with an anxiety level and definite nervousness. :lol: I hadn't really been aware of 'raptors before; I think they're more scary than T-Rex. Eeeek.

Fazor
2012-Apr-11, 02:07 PM

Nope. I've made up my mind. It's proof of retained survival instinct from a long-lost ancestor that we have no other evidence of. Don't try to suggest otherwise. :)

ToSeek
2012-Apr-11, 02:59 PM
I don't think I had the "clueless at work" ones until I retired! I'm not sure if I ever had the school ones while I was actually in school, either.

When I was working, I used to invent stuff in my dreams. It was always completely brilliant, but I could never remember what it was in the morning, just that I'd invented the greatest thing since sliced bread and now couldn't remember how it worked. I actually tried sleeping with notebook and pencil next to me so I could wake up and write it down. Never did.

One morning I awoke and realized that I had not only had one of these dreams, but remembered it with crystal clarity. I leaped out of bed, grabbed a pencil, and started sketching. Then I started looking at it. It was utterly ridiculous. It violated nearly every known law of physics, and probably some unknown ones as well. I don't invent much in my sleep any more, and if I do, I don't worry about it.

I've come up with what I thought was absolutely brilliant music in my dreams, but more likely it has about the same standing as your inventions. On the other hand, I once dreamt a poem that became the basis of a full-length Doctor Who fan fiction story.

Fazor
2012-Apr-11, 03:05 PM
I've come up with what I thought was absolutely brilliant music in my dreams, but more likely it has about the same standing as your inventions. On the other hand, I once dreamt a poem that became the basis of a full-length Doctor Who fan fiction story.

I don't often 'invent' music in my dreams, but there have been a few dreams where I would be playing guitar and be able to play some song I don't actually know how to play. Once I woke up and remembered it well enough to know what chords I was playing, and tried it. It was actually the song . . . though not nearly as good as I was playing it in the dream. Just a basic rhythm riff.

Not that that's "supernatural" or anything. Being able to recognize basic chords in a song and then playing them back is something that any *good* musician can do. I just can't do it very well.

. . . Awake, anyway. :-P

WaxRubiks
2012-Apr-11, 03:12 PM
Nope. I've made up my mind. It's proof of retained survival instinct from a long-lost ancestor that we have no other evidence of. Don't try to suggest otherwise. :)

well, the ancestor probably looked something like this.

http://levahnbros.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/deer-mouse.jpg

Gemini
2012-Apr-11, 04:06 PM
Thanks to this moon buggy business lately, I keep dreaming I'm still in the machine shop even after I left. My bed is on one of the shop tables and people are yelling at me to get off the table because I'm taking up their work space.

The last time I had dreams like this was when I was in high school marching band (substitute football field in for machine shop).

KaiYeves
2012-Apr-11, 11:23 PM
I've had several dreams where I can decrease the pull of gravity on my body by doing something that feels totally natural and always the same in the dreams, but it of course doesn't work in the real world. It's this strange feeling in my stomach that I've never felt in my waking life, when I got to talk to an astronaut who'd been on the ISS a few months ago, I asked him if he'd ever had similar dreams and if floating in microgravity felt the same, but he hadn't.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-12, 01:08 AM
I've had lots of dreams in which I was able to sort-of-fly. That is, I can lift my feet off the ground and stay airborne, and even drift downhill, but it takes lots of effort and I don't achieve any altitude. I wake up very tired, with cramps in my legs. Sometimes there's a cat at the foot of the bed to account for my legs being cramped!

WaxRubiks
2012-Apr-12, 02:55 AM
I've had loads of flying dreams over the years. I find it hard to move horizontally quite often, and then the effect wears off and I drift back down...I flew like super man for a few seconds, through the clouds on one dream, which was quite nice... It's sort of controlled by my head, rather than the rest of my body.

danscope
2012-Apr-12, 04:03 AM
The subconcious mind likes to have unbridled fun when in the dream state. I once had a dream where I was in my sailboat, a 26 foot boat with a five foot keel(mind you) going down my country road, scraping along. Bizzare.
Of course, about then you realize that you have to go to the bathroom etc and wake up. So I stay away from chocolate late at night. That seems to be a trigger, see? :)
I think we have all had the dream of being in a strange town or city, the sky is socked in, can't tell north from south,
and know that your car is somewhere around, but can't find it or remember where it is parked.
When I was in prep school, they had this curious habit of revolving classes, so that period one through 5 was
straight on monday; tuesday started on period 2, wednesday on three etc. So....there you are in class and you don't know what day it is or what class to go to. I haven't been to class in high school since 1966 ! Jees Louise !
You'd think these things would go away after a little while.
And then, once in a while , you have a nice dream. Makes up for the crumby ones, doesn't it? :)

Sleep well and prosper,
Dan

Tog
2012-Apr-12, 08:47 AM
My flying dreams usually have good horizontal motion, but I can't steer. I can sort of control up and down, but the direction I'm going when I realize I'm too high to land safely is the direction I go the whole time. I don't recall ever actually landing. I think I get so worried about the landing that I wake myself up.

I dream story ideas quite often. Most of the time, they're only good in the dream, but I've gotten something useful out of them a few times. I've got one I really like. The problem is it's in a genre I have no desire to write. Young adult romance.

I've also dreamed that certain TV shows were real and that I was involved in the story.

Fazor
2012-Apr-12, 04:25 PM
There seems to be certain things I can never do in dreams.

Driving: Every time I have a dream where I'm driving a car, I have issues steering and/or stopping the car. Or there's something completely obscuring my vision so I can't see where to go, and it's terrifying.

Guns: I've had many dreams where I was in some sort of danger, but had a gun to protect myself with. But it takes all my strength to pull the trigger, and even then, I can't get the gun to fire with any consistency. When it does fire, whoever I'm shooting at is never affected by the bullet. Exception: "Video Game Dreams" - Every now and then I have Lucid dreams, and then turn whatever surreal situation I'm in into a sort of "living video game." If I "know" it's a dream/game, I have no problem with guns.

Running: Any time I'm in a nightmare, or desperate, or urgent situation in a dream and need to run somewhere, it's like my legs weigh 3 tons and I'm running through molasses. Can't move faster no matter how hard I try.

Always assumed these issues arise from a conflict between unconscious thought and the brain's awareness of the body's sleep-paralyzed state.

ToSeek
2012-Apr-12, 05:47 PM
I've had lots of dreams in which I was able to sort-of-fly. That is, I can lift my feet off the ground and stay airborne, and even drift downhill, but it takes lots of effort and I don't achieve any altitude. I wake up very tired, with cramps in my legs. Sometimes there's a cat at the foot of the bed to account for my legs being cramped!

I've had some of those. I've also had dreams where I suddenly start rising vertically and eventually get a very spectacular view of the landscape beneath me. My emotions then become enjoying the view combined with worrying about what's making me rise and if it's going to abruptly stop working.

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-13, 08:32 AM
My flying dreams are always frustrated - overhead powerlines, lost in the fog, etc.
Guns - never work, even though I shoot in real life a fair ammount.
Running - when I'm scrambling away from threats, I'm not really aware of the mechanics, I just move from one place to another, but no issues.

I usually only remember the dreams that I wake up from, but generally treat them as video games - no real sense of fear in the dream. And I frequently have a computer screen with email or my monitoring system off to one side in the dream :(

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-13, 02:27 PM
Ugh. Had one of those work ones last night. As usual, the physical setting was utterly unlike anyplace I ever worked. First an interminable meeting, with some executive who yelled at me every time I opened my mouth. Then wandering around the corridors trying to find one of my shoes, which had unaccountably gone missing. Then after it magically appeared on my foot, wandering around what was more like a college campus trying to find my car. Having to avoid a street with a river running through it. Stepping across a creek and seeing a pile of what I somehow knew to be bear poop. I wake up tired after those. It was five AM when I woke up and I never did get back to sleep properly.

Fazor
2012-Apr-13, 02:37 PM
@Treb: what's worse? Those work dreams when you're retired, or those work dreams when you're still working? I dream about work very rarely, but hate dreaming about work all night (because they're never *good* dreams about work,) only to wake up and have to actually go to work.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-13, 02:46 PM
I think the school dreams might actually be worse than either. I don't think I dreamed about work all that much when I was working, other than the "invention" ones previously mentioned.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-14, 02:23 PM
Ugh. Another work one last night. Started out with the building bearing at least a vague resemblance to one I actually worked in then got progressively weirder and weirder. I wound up wandering around in my coat, dragging a pair of skis (I've never skied!) looking for a bathroom because I had to go. Eventually I managed to wake up and drag myself into the bathroom. The cat followed me in. "Hi, Kitty! How are you?" "Okay", the cat replied. "How about yourself?"

Oops, still dreaming. Eventually I managed to wake up (again) and drag myself into the bathroom. The cat followed me in. "Hi Kitty! How are you?" She just looked at me, turned around, and began washing her butt. Whew!

publiusr
2012-Apr-15, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I have "back at work" dreams as well.

I'll be on job sites I've never been to--yet seem familiar. Once after a very tiring 12 hr stint--I went home--and dreamed I was still at work at the same job. It was a long dream. When I woke up--it was time to go back to work again. I was scared of falling asleep when I got off.

I also had one of those dreams that start right in the middle where I was wearing a tux in church and was standing next to a bride after the wedding. Two other guys were standing near her so I had no idea who just got married. I think it was me. She looked pretty enough--so in order to mask my confusion, I was going to fake fainting and hit my head on the church's rear most pew back, then feign amnesia. I woke up right before I could do my prattfall.

The worst dreams are hobby store and bookstore dreams where the merchandise just vanishes when you awake.

I would like to think that dreams are voyages to alternate universes but that hope was dashed when a co-worker said that he only had wild dreams when he needed to go to the bathroom.

One of my worst dreams involved a strange underground flood. Huge tracts of land would sink--torrents would come out of the ground--which would give way. The surface of the Earth was getting weaker--we were wearing it out. I was driving across a road above a rill along a mountain chain in Appalachia where the source of all this was. My family were re-united, but I kept yelling at them to get back in--we were not in the clear.

Other dreams: an underground park, my parents and I as ghost chasers..sci-fi dreams

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-16, 11:31 AM
@Treb - I woke up from a dream to see the shadow of something not human coming down the stairs from the attic. I don't have an attic - woke up again :>

ToSeek
2012-Apr-16, 02:33 PM
Had an important meeting scheduled for 9:30 this morning. Had several anxious dreams overnight about going through various machinations to make the meeting (really crazy, complex stuff like getting a ride to a backup bus stop when I missed the bus at the nearest bus stop) when it's actually a 12-minute drive even if all the lights are against me). End up running a little bit late when the real thing comes around, getting in at 9:31 only to find that the meeting's been cancelled.

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-16, 02:39 PM
once, when my job was doing CAD, I worked on a very tedious drawing till it was complete. I woke up cussing that I hadn't saved at any point in the dream :) And had to go to work and do it all over for real.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-16, 02:45 PM
End up running a little bit late when the real thing comes around, getting in at 9:31 only to find that the meeting's been cancelled. The ones you fret most about usually are.

I got so I didn't worry too much about the "important" meetings since the bigwigs for whose benefit they're being held are ALWAYS late.

SeanF
2012-Apr-16, 03:48 PM
once, when my job was doing CAD, I worked on a very tedious drawing till it was complete. I woke up cussing that I hadn't saved at any point in the dream :) And had to go to work and do it all over for real.
My wife, who is a computer programmer, once had a dream that she needed to have a bowel movement but couldn't because she hadn't yet written the code for that function.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-16, 06:03 PM
That particular code still needs some debugging!

BigDon
2012-Apr-17, 05:08 PM
well, the ancestor probably looked something like this.

http://levahnbros.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/deer-mouse.jpg

and was a multituberculate instead of a rodent. (Though you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.)

BigDon
2012-Apr-17, 05:17 PM
Faz, if you ever see an enormous great white in the flesh, you realy feel like a mouse in a tree watching a T-rex go by. I saw one that looked like a freakin' submarine once.

Though the time I saw that poor guy get eaten by a tigershark I didn't get that feeling at all, just a tremendous shock at the suddeness. And it ate him entirely in mere moments!

Fazor
2012-Apr-17, 06:15 PM
See, sharks do terrify me. And while I can't recall any dreams about being chased by dinosaurs, I can recall a number of vivid shark-related nightmares. Most recently (as in, within the last year sometime) a dream about being suspended over a large holding pen/bay area (similar to the Montery Bay Aquarium area.) I was on a tiny glass platform with so little room that if I rolled over or moved more than an inch, I'd fall off. Beneath me, in this large bay, was a great white the size of a house.

The dream was weird, because as long as I was perched on my little platform, I could safely observe this awesome creature from a fairly close vantage. But there was also this fear that if I were to fall, I'd be in the water with this thing. There was no way off the platform, which was concerning, but I also knew that all I had to do was not move and I could sit and watch the giant beast.

BigDon
2012-Apr-18, 06:01 PM
Back in the seventies when Jaws came out I read an article that stated an unusual amount of simular shark related nightmares were occuring, mainly among mid westerners.

They would be walking in a vast grass prairie with the sun just coming up behind them when the dreamer would notice multiple "air swimming", sinuous sharks, (like blues) following behind them just visible at the top of the grass.

Now fear of being followed in tall grass by predators at sunrise is an ancestral fear I can buy into a little more readily.

ToSeek
2012-Apr-18, 06:31 PM

I went through a phase where I would repeatedly dream that I'd dragged myself out of bed, taken a shower, and gotten ready for work. Then I'd wake up and be back in bed with all that psychic energy put into thinking I was getting up gone.

ToSeek
2012-Apr-18, 06:33 PM
The ones you fret most about usually are.

I got so I didn't worry too much about the "important" meetings since the bigwigs for whose benefit they're being held are ALWAYS late.

I've just started a new position so am still working on figuring out the difference between the meetings that are important and the ones that are just called important. I also have the bad habit of forgetting over the weekend that I have a Monday morning meeting and not realizing until about two minutes before it starts. (And this was at my previous position, where we had a status meeting every single non-holiday Monday at 10 am, something I somehow never habituated to even after many months.)

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-19, 08:01 AM
thanks Don :( now I'm going to see sharks following my car at night...

BigDon
2012-Apr-19, 02:09 PM
See, sharks do terrify me. And while I can't recall any dreams about being chased by dinosaurs, I can recall a number of vivid shark-related nightmares. Most recently (as in, within the last year sometime) a dream about being suspended over a large holding pen/bay area (similar to the Montery Bay Aquarium area.) I was on a tiny glass platform with so little room that if I rolled over or moved more than an inch, I'd fall off. Beneath me, in this large bay, was a great white the size of a house.

The dream was weird, because as long as I was perched on my little platform, I could safely observe this awesome creature from a fairly close vantage. But there was also this fear that if I were to fall, I'd be in the water with this thing. There was no way off the platform, which was concerning, but I also knew that all I had to do was not move and I could sit and watch the giant beast.

I had a similar dream only with crocodiles. Nile crocodiles to be specific.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Apr-20, 07:02 AM
Just populate the dream with hippopotamuses, they'll kill the crocs.

Gemini
2012-Apr-23, 03:18 AM
Not necessarily a nightmare, but Friday night I was dreaming that I was installing Wi Fi routers on a von Braun-style ring space station. Despite being ring-shaped for artificial gravity, it hadn't been spun up yet and I still had to work in zero g.

Tog
2012-Apr-23, 05:30 AM
Not really funny, nor a nightmare, but I found out that if I have a dream where I'm in my kitchen and try to smack a hornet with a fly swatter, then lose sight of it, I'm done sleeping.

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-25, 10:06 AM
Yep, that'd wake me up. I freqeuntly nightmare flying spiders that deposit parasitic eggs using a stinger thingy... I don't sleep for the rest of the night after one of those.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-25, 03:41 PM
I woke up this morning from one in which I was eating something with a spoon. When I awoke I was actually in the process of moving my hand to my face.

Fazor
2012-Apr-25, 03:48 PM
Yep, that'd wake me up. I freqeuntly nightmare flying spiders that deposit parasitic eggs using a stinger thingy... I don't sleep for the rest of the night after one of those.

Can't say I share that experience, but once or twice a year I'll have one of those "waking dreams" where I can't tell if I'm awake or still dreaming (more likely, a bit of each.) In it, I'll see, feel, or just *know* there's a big spider or other crawly critter in the bed. I'll wake up and spend the next 10 minutes anxiously sweeping the bed, praying that it was all just a dream and that my hand scanning through the darkness never comes in contact with anything other than pillow and sheet.

kpatz
2012-Apr-25, 07:17 PM
My least-favorite dream is: when I dream I'm laying in bed and I hear a mosquito buzz my ear. Then I wake up suddenly, not knowing if there really is a mosquito or I just dreamed it, and can't get back to sleep.

caveman1917
2012-Apr-25, 09:09 PM
In it, I'll see, feel, or just *know* there's a big spider or other crawly critter in the bed. I'll wake up and spend the next 10 minutes anxiously sweeping the bed, praying that it was all just a dream and that my hand scanning through the darkness never comes in contact with anything other than pillow and sheet.

I sometimes get that too, but one time i actually for an instant felt something with my hand that didn't belong there which made me instantly jump halfway across the room. Turns out it was my cellphone that somehow had gotten in the bed.

closetgeek
2012-Apr-26, 12:03 PM

Best back to school reference, ever! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g7VoRQPswg

Tog
2012-Apr-26, 12:44 PM
A few weeks ago, I woke up to what felt like a spider crawling against my arm. I flinched a bit and looked. Sure enough, I had a jumping spider between my arm and the bed. I herded it to the nightstand and went back to sleep.

Jumpers are your friends.

Any other type and I probably would have screamed and stripped the bed.

LookingSkyward
2012-Apr-26, 01:24 PM
I both like and respect spiders in a philosophical way, but seeing one in or near my bed wigs me out completely