PDA

View Full Version : Paging Nader, Paging Nader.

tinfoilhatman
2012-Apr-05, 07:43 PM
Just checking if I can still post after so long.

BigDon
2012-Apr-06, 01:09 PM
Ahh roger that Tinfoil.

We are picking you up loud and clear.

swampyankee
2012-Apr-06, 04:05 PM
He's out driving his Corvair.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-06, 04:16 PM
He's out driving his Corvair.

I wish I was. First and still favorite car I ever had. Sniff.

grapes
2012-Apr-06, 07:18 PM
It...was...a...*Covair*! :)

tinfoilhatman
2012-Apr-07, 01:38 AM
Oh. Hi guys. This was for one of the members called theNater over here. He said he was over here but he would not tell me who he was.

I found out because I am devious (and bear watching at all times). Happy easter everybody!

swampyankee
2012-Apr-07, 04:16 AM
Oh. Hi guys. This was for one of the members called theNater over here. He said he was over here but he would not tell me who he was.

I found out because I am devious (and bear watching at all times). Happy easter everybody!

Happy Easter.

Are the bears you're watching aware that you're doing so?

tinfoilhatman
2012-Apr-07, 05:03 AM
Heh. When I was living in Alaska the bears I was watching were certainly aware that I was watching them being aware that that I was watching them. Me and the bears would routinely be giving each other the stink eye during salmon runs.

After 25 years under abysmal skies in Anchorage, Portland, Or. and Spokane I have recently moved to Tucson. Tell me. That big white, mottled disk in the sky tonight is called 'The Moon', Right?? :)

swampyankee
2012-Apr-07, 09:16 PM
Heh. When I was living in Alaska the bears I was watching were certainly aware that I was watching them being aware that that I was watching them. Me and the bears would routinely be giving each other the stink eye during salmon runs.

After 25 years under abysmal skies in Anchorage, Portland, Or. and Spokane I have recently moved to Tucson. Tell me. That big white, mottled disk in the sky tonight is called 'The Moon', Right?? :)

Unless it's moving rapidly. Then it's marsh gas.

publiusr
2012-Apr-09, 09:38 PM
The Corvair is a tank compared to a Smart-for-two. Go figure.

R.A.F.
2012-Apr-09, 10:03 PM
Darn....thought this was a political thread about Ralph Nader that had somehow "slipped" past the mods....

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-09, 11:11 PM
Darn....thought this was a political thread about Ralph Nader that had somehow "slipped" past the mods....

I wish! I loved my Corvair, you can guess what I think about Nader. I tried reading his book, I got about as far as I did with "Chariots of the Gods", and for the same reasons.

BigDon
2012-Apr-10, 05:52 PM
My father was a policeman and a first responder through the sixties and early seventies.

Absolutely hated corvairs with a passion.

You youngsters might not know this but the Corvair is the reason for modern steering columns. In even relatively low speed collisions one of two things would happen. The steering column would come straight back and crush the driver's chest, if not go all the way through the back of the driver's seat.

Or in the case of my dad pursueing an absolutely dispicable habitual wife-beater, (Dad was going to arrest him on attempted murder charges, don't ask.) The guy rear-ended a car at a stop light and the bottom of the steering wheel caught the man under the jaw and crushed his head against the hard top. My father said it was the best thing the Corvair designer ever did for humanity as a whole.

So it was a great car as long as you didn't crash it. Then you died.

tinfoilhatman
2012-Apr-11, 02:41 AM
Lets see. Other than steering columns of death and cantankerous fanbelt routing, were there any other quirks anybody remembers?

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-11, 03:04 PM
Heating. Used engine cooling air. Sloppy service station attendants spilling oil would result in burnt oil smell in the interior. (Rmember when they'd actually check your oil? Man, that's been a while!) It was always fun sending them to the correct end of the car, as well.

Mine had a peculiarity in the turn signals which allowed me to determine the outdoor temperature in the winter, based on the level of malfunction. At about freezing (32F), the right signal would start failing to cancel properly and I'd have to nudge the stalk. Then the left would cease to work properly. Eventually, at about -20F, it signaled right all the time, even with the stalk in the left turn position and I had to pull the flasher, which was conveniently located under the dash. For some reason I was reluctant to roll down the window and stick my arm out...

BigDon
2012-Apr-12, 10:11 PM
I friend of mine bought his daughter a restored stock mid-sixties Corvair and I told him the above story.

She got a new VW Beetle she absolutely adores. Cool blue color and everything. (Hell, if he had given that Beetle to me, I would have gotten all sqeally.)

*Ahem*

How 'bout them Bears?!

tinfoilhatman
2012-Apr-14, 09:53 PM
One of the coolest things I saw was a Corvair motorhome. It looked like Hawley Bowlus hammered it out in his garage.

Still no Nader. Heh.

swampyankee
2012-Apr-23, 06:22 PM
Lets see. Other than steering columns of death and cantankerous fanbelt routing, were there any other quirks anybody remembers?

It would get very squirrely if the rear tire pressure was too low. GM was not joking about that 16 psi front/ 26 psi rear.This should teach people to check their own tire pressures.