PDA

View Full Version : How Would Humans Respond to First Contact from an Alien World?

Fraser
2012-Apr-05, 09:20 PM
According to Star Trek lore, it is only 51 years until Earth’s first contact with an alien species. In the movie “Star Trek: First Contact,” Vulcans pay a visit to an Earth recovering from a war-torn period on April 5, 2063. (see the movie clip below if you aren’t familiar.) But will such a planet-wide, [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/94456/how-would-humans-respond-to-first-contact-from-an-alien-world/)

ravens_cry
2012-Apr-06, 05:08 AM
We've actually had plenty of first contact with beings from another world.
One of the most famous involved a Spanish illiterate and one of the greatest empires in the history of that part of the continent.
It . . .didn't end well.

Selfsim
2012-Apr-06, 08:46 AM
It would seem that Mr Kaufman has completely overlooked the most rational statement of all: It is completely unknown whether there is life out there ... or not !

It continually amazes me how so many, can spend so much of their time dreaming up stories, about something we already know, is unknown !
What part of 'unknown' is not understood, I wonder ?

For some strange reason, the field of Astrobiology stands alone in science as having the sole purpose of justifying the belief that its subject matter exists !
What would the Vulcan Science Directorate have to say about that rationale and logic, I wonder ??

“Scientists almost unanimously believe there is other life out there, but we just don’t have the technology to find it yet,” Well now, that's a worry ! :confused: ... You mean that when we believed Astronauts were on the moon, we couldn't find them, due to a lack of technology ?? :confused:

Regards

Solfe
2012-Apr-06, 01:44 PM
"Citizens of Los Angeles: Please do not shoot the alien ships until we have establish communication."

Rhaedas
2012-Apr-06, 02:33 PM
In the original canon Star Trek, we made first contact with Alpha Centaurians, not Vulcans, and we were the heroes, rescuing a stranded ship of theirs in space. Why is the difference important? Because in this version, the Vulcans could have made contact first, but realized that we were too fragile of a species to be exposed to very different species so suddenly. The Centaurians were very much like humans, so the culture shock, as well as us being the ones who made the contact, helped ease us into the idea that we were truly not alone.

So...while that is all fiction, it does bring up the point of our readiness for that contact, if it happened tomorrow. Sure, some of us would be more than ready, but the majority of people would react in many different ways, some negatively (as Solfe said). It's likely we would have to be weaned into the idea as a civilization, not as some overnight announcement on the TV.

Rhaedas
2012-Apr-06, 02:34 PM
In the original canon Star Trek, we made first contact with Alpha Centaurians, not Vulcans, and we were the heroes, rescuing a stranded ship of theirs in space. Why is the difference important? Because in this version, the Vulcans could have made contact first, but realized that we were too fragile of a species to be exposed to very different species so suddenly. The Centaurians were very much like humans, so the culture shock, as well as us being the ones who made the contact, helped ease us into the idea that we were truly not alone.

So...while that is all fiction, it does bring up the point of our readiness for that contact, if it happened tomorrow. Sure, some of us would be more than ready, but the majority of people would react in many different ways, some negatively (as Solfe said). It's likely we would have to be weaned into the idea as a civilization, not as some overnight announcement on the TV.

Solfe
2012-Apr-06, 03:00 PM
I am of the silly opinion that Zhu-zhu pet like robots should be sent on first contact missions. First, they are small and easy to ship. Second, as long as they don't move too quickly, they won't inspire fear.

Of course, if aliens have seen "The Trouble with Tribbles" perhaps that is a bad idea.

(Edit - In Independence Day, I was always under the impression that the warning not to shoot the alien craft was given because people in LA are "merely" discharging weapons in the air, hitting the ship was an unforeseen consequence of going through a normal daily routine. Yes, I am a warped individual.)

ASTRO BOY
2013-Jan-27, 09:06 PM
From the article.......

One argument against first contact is from those who say there is no other life in the Universe,” said Kaufman, speaking to Universe Today via phone, “and with that is the Fermi paradox, which says that if there is so much life out there, why hasn’t it visited us yet? That was first posited back in the 1950’s and with everything we’ve learned since then, it seems rather presumptuous and Earth-centric to say that because no one has come to Earth, there is no life out there.”
Kaufman argues the Universe is so vast, the number of exoplanets is so huge – with the number of exoplanets in habitable zones now gaining in numbers almost daily – and we now understand that all the makings for the building blocks of life are out in space, so it defies logic to argue there is no other life out there.

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/94456/how-would-humans-respond-to-first-contact-from-an-alien-world/#ixzz2JDCoCGJh
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

If ET were to land in my back yard I would ask him to "Take me to your leader"

All jokes aside, I have read in recent times a reputable article where some scientists think we will have "proof" of ET life within our lifetime.
I tend to agree and I think it maybe obtained from within our own solar system...maybe Enceladus or Europa?

swampyankee
2013-Jan-28, 03:18 AM
It will not be some sort of reasoned, representative of humanity approach: at least one, probably three, and possibly all, of the permanent members of the Security Council will attempt an independent contact. As for what happens after? There are thousands of first contact stories out there. I think most of them are unrealistically optimistic about how rationally individuals, corporations, and governments will behave.

Remember, the illiterate Spaniard did not take down an empire without local allies.

neilzero
2013-Jan-28, 04:15 AM
According to Star Trek lore, it is only 51 years until Earth’s first contact with an alien species. In the movie “Star Trek: First Contact,” Vulcans pay a visit to an Earth recovering from a war-torn period on April 5, 2063. More... (http://www.universetoday.com/94456/how-would-humans-respond-to-first-contact-from-an-alien-world/)
I did not see the movie and the clip has quit working, but I think we have a wide variety of fiction senarios to chose from. Possibly parts of most of them will actually occur. I think any reasoned and unified responce from the UN or other governments would be slow in coming, or not at all. If there is a world wide contingency plan, scarsely anyone knows about it, including most of our top leaders. As others have said the official position is that the ET are not here, have not been here and we don't expect contact soon. I have no good reason for thinking this is a cover up, but my opinion is ET is here covertly, and the details could be scrambled among the many movies and other fiction. Sorry, I can only speculate on the real truth, nor can I rate the thousands of possible senarios according to their probability, but I do favor ideas from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It would be improper for me to give details on this forum even if my thinking was organized on this topic. Like most of us, I am content to wait with an open mind to see what if anything significant happens in the next few years reguarding this topic. General preparadness for future disasters of all types is a prudent responce for now. Neil

Colin Robinson
2013-Feb-08, 02:35 AM
It will not be some sort of reasoned, representative of humanity approach: at least one, probably three, and possibly all, of the permanent members of the Security Council will attempt an independent contact. As for what happens after? There are thousands of first contact stories out there. I think most of them are unrealistically optimistic about how rationally individuals, corporations, and governments will behave.

Not sure about Security Council members acting independently... If the extraterrestrials were seen as a potential threat -- which they would be, at least initially -- then I think humans would be inclined to close ranks -- world leaders would set up a committee with all sorts of emergency powers, and no-one (at first) would be at all inclined to complain...

As Ronald Reagan said in an address to the UN General Assembly: "I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world." (Found this quote on the WP page Potential cultural impact of extraterrestrial contact (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_cultural_impact_of_extraterrestrial_cont act))

On the other hand, if the aliens seemed at all approachable, it wouldn't be long before various groups would at least try to make independent contact. For instance, members of certain religious communities would probably feel called to preach to the aliens. If some international committee took steps to stop them from preaching, they'd say: "Hey, what about our right of free speech? And what about freedom of religion?"

Solfe
2013-Feb-08, 09:42 PM
I don't know about that, but I would certainly ask the aliens what they think of "Freedom of Whatever" before anything else. Assuming communication came that easy, I would hate to have this conversation:

"Silence! Your 'science' is meaningless drivel and your mathematical forms stink. Now, tell us more about this Cthulhu. We require that all information be sung to us by Taylor Swift, Bing Crosby, Al Jourgensen and Cheb Mami in a round. Begin."

Spacedude
2013-Oct-16, 09:12 PM
How would humans react to first contact? Thanks for asking Fraser, I'll assume that you mean today and not 51 years from now.

It won't go well and it would rapidly head down hill.
I like Star Trek and many of the other SF shows that were/are both entertaining and somewhat mind expanding for the time, but imho only about 1% of the episodes come remotely close to the reality. Despite our vivid human minds our imaginations would be hard pressed to envision ET's that are thousands of years ahead of us much less see our own civilization in just a few hundred from now. Our wildest imaginations just cannot keep up with a very old and infinite universe (relatively speaking).

But for the sake of argument, ...
Vulcans land today.
World reaction :
WOW!
Astonishment
Mind Boggling!
Fantastic!
Scary!
Will they help us?
They seem nice
Got lots of questions!
What's that you say Mr. Vulcan, We're not ready to know that yet??
Hummmm, what are "they" hiding?
And then it begins.............

Stay tuned for scenes of next week's conclusion episode :

"Please Come Back! We Didn't Mean It!"

or

"I Told You Earth Was A Bad Idea!"