PDA

View Full Version : The BA speaks at Mt. Tam...8/21/04

R.A.F.
2004-Aug-24, 03:26 PM
As part of "Anniversary Adventure Week" (we celebrated our 29th on the 18th) Mrs. R.A.F. and I decided to attended the BA's "Mars talk" that he gave at Mt. Tamalpais just north of San Francisco.

We had a great time!! We met Phil before the "show", and talked for about 15 minutes about woowoos and the BABB. (Stuff that I can't really mention here) But we did get some insight into "The Man" and basically why he does what he does. It was very interesting. I even got my picture taken with him...yes, it was cold. :)

One of the things that surprised us was the fact that there were about 60 people attending, we expected fewer, because to get to Mt. Tamalpais one must travel up a long, narrow, winding road...those that attended really wanted to be there! There were also quite a few kids in attendence which we thought was great!

The title of the BA's presentation was Mars Attacks (http://community.webtv.net/raflaf3/doc0). It basically covered all of the "Hoagland stuff" that is on the main site (the "face", the "glass worm" etc.)...just in a bit more detail. I was most impressed with the "angles" arguments...the BA shot down Hoagland's reasoning that there is some "special significance" to the angles between the Cydonian features...and he did it most convincingly. (But don't take my word on it...read the main site. :)) The funniest part of the whole evening was the numerous bad puns liberally sprinkled throughout the presentation...the BA certainly knows how to connect with an audience...he had everyone laughing.

Unfortunately, the "Star party" that was to follow the presentation had to be cancelled due to clouds and fog. (Picture a combination of the movies The Crawling Eye and The Fog and you'll get the idea.) But, like I said, we had a great time. THANKS PHIL, we're looking forward to "doing it" again.

Off topic...Just so you all don't get the impression that everything about our trip was "wonderful"...the drive down Mt. Tam was really scary. Visibility was practically zero down a long, narrow, winding road. Getting in and out of the San Francisco area was no "picnic" either. We got "lost" twice, (stupid road signs :)) were stuck in no fewer than 5 traffic jams, (one at 11:30 PM) and we had to pay to leave the San Francisco area...at midnight on a Saturday night!

SciFi Chick
2004-Aug-24, 03:46 PM
You're just trying to make us jealous...

And it worked.

One question. Why did you have to pay to leave San Francisco?

R.A.F.
2004-Aug-24, 04:14 PM
You're just trying to make us jealous...

And it worked.

Sorry, Sci/Fi Chick...that wasn't my intention. :)

Why did you have to pay to leave San Francisco?

Ya know, I would like the answer to that question, too! :lol: There was construction going on everywhere...I guess that that's how they pay for it.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Aug-24, 08:56 PM
Well, golly! Thanks. I had a blast, though I could have hoped for slightly warmer weather. Even in August it gets plenty cold up there.

I knew more people in the audience than i expected: a reporter friend, RAF, and a guy I haven't seen in 30 years (we went to elementary school together).

I'm glad the talk went well. I'll be giving it quite a bit over the next few months. I may take out some of the math, and instead put in more pareidolia stuff. I found a wonderful set of examples... (http://www.chipofthemonth.com/html/gallery.html)

Anyway, it was great meeting you and the missus, RAF (even if I did say your name incorrectly during the talk)!

lyford
2004-Aug-24, 10:51 PM
I'm glad the talk went well. I'll be giving it quite a bit over the next few months.
Was this a "secret test presentation?" Or did I just miss the announcement?
I can't find any mention on the website calendar (http://www.badastronomy.com/info/calendar.html)of these talks - would love to make the next one....

Candy
2004-Aug-24, 11:24 PM
The BA was in Chicago during the Earthquake, too. For what reason, I don't know.

I would love to meet the BA in person, though.

Nice post, R.A.F.! =D>

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Aug-25, 12:12 AM
It was on the calendar up until the day after the talk, when I removed it. I want to make the calendar more obvious on the website. A redesign is in the works...

Candy, I'll be in Chicago again in September, probably to give a talk at AstroFest (http://www.chicagoastro.org/). I haven't confirmed yet for a number of reasons, but I hope to this week. 8)

Candy
2004-Aug-25, 02:18 AM
Candy, I'll be in Chicago again in September, probably to give a talk at AstroFest (http://www.chicagoastro.org/). I haven't confirmed yet for a number of reasons, but I hope to this week. 8) :o I marked my calendar. I still have 2 vacation days not allocated for this year, so this would be great. I hope you can come. In the meantime, I will research Kankakee. I have heard of it, but I am not sure where it is.

Warning, I am very shy in real life. :oops:

Bawheid
2004-Aug-25, 09:31 AM
[quote="Candy"]The BA was in Chicago during the Earthquake, too. For what reason, I don't know.[quote]

In Chicago and there was an earthquake, in San Fransico and there was fog.....hmmmm Coincidence? I don't think so. Look out Australia. :o

N C More
2004-Aug-25, 01:20 PM
Hmm...the BA has been on the West coast, Chicago and the South. What about the North East, let's say Mass.? How about U Mass at Amherst for a good place to speak? (my kids attend school there so I have an alterior motive for suggesting this!). Just an idea. :D

R.A.F.
2004-Aug-25, 01:58 PM
I may take out some of the math, and instead put in more pareidolia stuff.

I kinda liked the math. But you're right. To reach everyone in the audience (including the children, which IMO is very important), it's hard to argue with a potato chip that looks like Abraham Lincoln. :)

Anyway, it was great meeting you and the missus, RAF...

Yeah, we had fun too!

(even if I did say your name incorrectly during the talk)!

No worries...there were a number of factors involved with that "mistake". IIRC, your "reporter friend" had that same name, and my Wife mentioned it before your talk. Also the fact that we had just met minutes before. In other words, no big deal. :)

dvb
2004-Aug-25, 04:58 PM
Hmm...the BA has been on the West coast, Chicago and the South. What about the North East, let's say Mass.? How about U Mass at Amherst for a good place to speak? (my kids attend school there so I have an alterior motive for suggesting this!). Just an idea. :D

Agreed. And while he's at it, it'd be nice if he payed us a visit north of the border too. :)

We don't bite, however you may get frostbite. :lol:

rob
2004-Aug-25, 07:06 PM
and a guy I haven't seen in 30 years (we went to elementary school together).

Hey that was me! Was great to see you Phil, you really haven't changed a bit! But please, please don't refer to me by my elementary school nickname anymore! :) I'm even beginning to suspect you are the one who made that name up....

The talk was great (even though he was preaching to the choir, as far as I was concerned) and very funny. "......or maybeeeee.......IT'S JUST A #$&%ING HILL!!!!!!" Ok I think he refrained from using expletives, but they were implicit.

BTW, if memory serves, I had the pleasure of looking through the bad astronomer's telescope in his backyard circa 1973. Is that cool or what?

R.A.F.
2004-Aug-25, 07:35 PM
WELCOME to the board, Rob!

So...what other stories can you tell us about the BA's childhood?

R.A.F. runs and hides. :lol:

rob
2004-Aug-25, 09:02 PM
Thanks RAF! Glad to be here. I'll admit I'm not as big on astronomy as some of the other sciences, but skepticism runs in my blood so I can relate to the BA in that respect.

Stories...hmmm. Well, it was a good while ago....I remember Phil as being a far better behaved kid than myself, but he always had his intellectual sense of humor. We were in a special school, part of the public school system but not the one the "regular kids" went to. I guess it was like a gifted and talented program, something for kids who placed high on an IQ test or something. Which to me seems like a bad idea. I remember learning a lot of stuff (I can still tell you things about the Peloponnesian Wars I learned in 3rd grade), but just being isolated from the kids who lived on your street because you were "smarter" kind of messed some of us up a bit. Phil probably did fine with it, but I ended up bailing on the program after a couple years after I just became a complete troublemaker. I think I mostly straightened out once I got back in the regular school.

But I really don't remember specific stories about Phil. I know, that's lame....sorry. :) I do have a picture of him here in our class picture from 73....looks pretty much the same actually! (maybe i need to hook up my scanner and post it....)

R.A.F.
2004-Aug-25, 09:11 PM
I do have a picture of him here in our class picture from 73....looks pretty much the same actually! (maybe i need to hook up my scanner and post it....)

OH NOOO...look what I've started!!! Some day I'm gonna learn to keep my big mouth SHUT! :)

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Aug-25, 09:27 PM
Heh. Yeah, it was fairly isolating being in the GATE program, but I still played with kids on my street. But the sense of community in those classes was pretty strong. And I look different now.. I have a beard and a lot less hair. Amazingly, I would have recognized Rob; when I saw him the other day he did look familiar! It makes me wonder if, when I see people I vaguely recognize, they really are people from my distant past.

Candy, by the way: if I speak at Astrofest (http://www.chicagoastro.org/), it would be on Saturday September 18 around 8 or so. I have not yet confirmed though.

George
2004-Aug-25, 10:35 PM
Big Welcome to you Rob. =D>

Thanks RAF! Glad to be here. I'll admit I'm not as big on astronomy as some of the other sciences, but skepticism runs in my blood so I can relate to the BA in that respect.

Stories...hmmm. Well, it was a good while ago....I remember Phil as being ....

Yep. I predict you will be real popular around here. :)

Nice to have ya.

George
2004-Aug-25, 10:42 PM
R.A.F., thanks for sharing so much. I have enjoyed all these post.

This comment is intriguing....

The title of the BA's presentation was Mars Attacks (http://community.webtv.net/raflaf3/doc0).

There's a contest to name his new book. here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5900&start=75) :) He hasn't sanctioned the contest much yet. :)

R.A.F.
2004-Aug-26, 01:58 AM
R.A.F., thanks for sharing so much. I have enjoyed all these post.

Thank you very much, George...I appreciate that. :)

Mellow
2004-Aug-26, 12:43 PM
Phil,

please let us know if you ever visit the UK, I'd be keen to hear you speak.

Cheers

2004-Aug-26, 05:43 PM
1 . viewtopic.php?p=321471#321471 is the latest update {thanks C}

2. Wednesday 8/25/04 sqU/O^ie(A'misH {Perdue Geology}

3: oppsi I "overrote" the she Cog Go events My My?

here ? http://www.chicagoastro.org/ once THERE click E_vent

Candy
2004-Aug-26, 11:07 PM
1 . viewtopic.php?p=321471#321471 is the latest update {thanks C}

2. Wednesday 8/25/04 sqU/O^ie(A'misH {Perdue Geology}

3: oppsi I "overrote" the she Cog Go events My My?

here ? http://www.chicagoastro.org/ once THERE click E_vent Thanks HUb', I was able to find a better address to use for Mapquest. It looks like an hour drive. :D

AK
2004-Aug-27, 12:12 AM
As a veteran of the GATE program myself, I agree with rob. I learned a lot but it was very isolating to be part of a "special program" and leave normal class to go take it.

Brady Yoon
2004-Aug-27, 01:04 AM
The same thing happened to me when I entered the GATE program. Friends that I had in the past drifted away, but I made a lot of new friends, and I learned a lot more. There are good things and bad things, I guess.

btw, welcome rob! :D

Irishman
2004-Aug-27, 09:30 PM
When I did GATE, I didn't have any friends to lose, so that didn't bother me. I don't remember much of the elementary school stuff other than getting pulled from class a few times. By high school I was pretty much in honors classes, so no biggie.

Andromeda321
2004-Aug-27, 11:48 PM
We kinda have something similar in the PA education similar but my sister, who's two years older then me, was 2 points too low to qualify or some such. Seeing as she really is a smart cookie my mom refused for my bro and me to be tested so I was stuck scoring points for the "normal kids" whenever the "smart kids" tried to be condescending.
Ok, steering back to the original conversation... Phil, any chance you wanna come speak at Case Western? There are a LOT of nerds here who'd be honored to listen to you! :)

Candy
2004-Aug-28, 05:58 AM
Candy, by the way: if I speak at Astrofest (http://www.chicagoastro.org/), it would be on Saturday September 18 around 8 or so. I have not yet confirmed though. I put in for the day off, got directions, and will head south for the event after 1pm (after class). I sure hope you make it. The redheaded woman taking massive photos of you while you speak would be me. 8-[

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Aug-28, 07:49 PM
I put in for the day off, got directions, and will head south for the event after 1pm (after class).

Wonderful! I confirmed, too. I'll be giving my Moon Hoax talk at 8:00 p.m. Saturday night. My friend Kelly Beatty from Night Sky/Sky and Telescope magazines will be giving a talk at 6:00 too. I'll have more info up soon on my calendar page.

Candy, please don't be shy! Just come up and start talking. :D

johnwitts
2004-Aug-29, 12:15 AM
Candy, make sure you ask him the title of his new book. Then come back and tell us all.

lyford
2004-Aug-29, 12:33 AM
Candy, make sure you ask him the title of his new book. Then come back and tell us all.
Good plan!
Not sure why, but at the bottom of the Book Title Thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=321603&highlight=title+book#321603 ), there are all Jimmy Buffet ads.... is that a clue?

Jimmy Buffet Fenway Party

Jimmy Buffet Party Supply

Jimmy Buffett Tickets

Candy
2004-Aug-29, 05:29 PM
Not sure why, but at the bottom of the Book Title Thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=321603&highlight=title+book#321603 ), there are all Jimmy Buffet ads.... is that a clue? Could it be the fact that Parrothead is posting? :wink:

Now, I get a chance to use my new digital camera. :D So cool.

PhantomWolf
2004-Aug-30, 07:31 AM
So when do you come and do a talk in Kiwi-land BA?

:lol:

2004-Aug-30, 11:10 PM
http://web.pdx.edu/~pdx00782/pp2/mov3.ppt
http://web.pdx.edu/~pdx00782/pp2/HUMN432.PPT
http://web.pdx.edu/~pdx00782/pp2/Flyer2.ppt

here ? http://www.chicagoastro.org/ once THERE click E_vent

Doe, John
2004-Aug-30, 11:34 PM
The redheaded woman taking massive photos of you while you speak would be me. 8-[

Now, I get a chance to use my new digital camera. :D So cool.
This concepts don't go together. How can a binary file have appreciable mass?
<ducking and running :lol:

Candy
2004-Aug-31, 05:08 AM
How can a binary file have appreciable mass?
<ducking and running :lol: Join us and find out. :D

2004-Aug-31, 03:31 PM
[quote=HUb']
http://web.pdx.edu/~pdx00782/pp2/Flyer2.ppt

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:00:10 -0400
To: pdx00782@pdx.edu
Subject: [VIRUS] Information
This message was written in a character set other than your own. If it is not displayed correctly, click here to open it in a new window.

Important data!

2 virus_warning.txt text/plain 1.39 KB

* VIRUS DETECTED AND REMOVED BY EMAIL GATEWAY *

The original attachment has been replaced by this text because it was
infected with the following virus(es) or other malicious content:

W32/Netsky-Z

Any infected parts of the message have been deleted. If you believe that
this message was a valid attempt at communication from a real person,
please contact the sender and have them check their system for viruses and
then resend the message and any attachments. Please keep in mind that many
email viruses forge the senders address, so you cannot necessarily trust
the "From" address.

This notification is being sent to you and any other recipients of the
original message. To keep nuisance factors and mail traffic under control,
the original sender of the message has NOT been notified - you may want to
let them know at your discretion.

If you are interested in setting up an email filter to direct these emails
to a separate folder, or if you have any questions about this message or
viruses in general, please call the User Support Services Help Desk at
503-725-4357, or email help@pdx.edu.

PureMessage Admin <postmaster@pdx.edu>

* VIRUS DETECTED AND REMOVED BY EMAIL GATEWAY *

ToSeek
2004-Aug-31, 04:23 PM
HUb', the sender's address could have been spoofed. I get emails all the time these days complaining that I've sent someone a virus when I never created the original email.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Aug-31, 08:32 PM

I wish. I'll be so close... we've watched Lord of the Rings about a billion times, and I would dearly love to see the countryside where it was filmed.

To answer your question, find an organization that'll pay for the trip, and I am there. :o

Doe, John
2004-Aug-31, 11:44 PM
How can a binary file have appreciable mass?
<ducking and running :lol: Join us and find out. :DI wish I could, but the school year has started and Illinois is just a little too far from Montana for a weekend jaunt.

cenwyn
2004-Sep-01, 07:55 AM
Bad Astronomer (Phil):

I live up in the Great White North. Any chance of you coming to perhaps Toronto or Montreal in the near (or far) future?

I know quite a few people who would love to attend a talk from you but it's difficult due to the distance. Please put Canada on your agenda sometime, it'd be so great.

NightHawk
2004-Sep-01, 08:24 PM
Candy, I'll be in Chicago again in September, probably to give a talk at AstroFest. I haven't confirmed yet for a number of reasons, but I hope to this week.

Cool 8) I may go to this. Another of the guest speakers is Mike Proebstle, Argus project director. He is a local character to me and the observatory he is building will be less than 5 miles from my house.

Candy
2004-Sep-01, 08:36 PM
Candy, I'll be in Chicago again in September, probably to give a talk at AstroFest. I haven't confirmed yet for a number of reasons, but I hope to this week.

Cool 8) I may go to this. Another of the guest speakers is Mike Proebstle, Argus project director. He is a local character to me and the observatory he is building will be less than 5 miles from my house. I am trying to make a weekend of the AstroFest, but work is a pain to deal with right now. United will soon announce (if they haven't already) the lay-off's of some 6000 more employees. I have a safe job, so I will be ok.

Jpax said he may carpool with me. :o I wish we could get more 2-3 hour away BABBers to attend. Wouldn't that be a hoot? 8-[

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Sep-01, 09:40 PM
Sigh. I just made my reservation to fly to Australia on United. They better stay in business at least long enough for me to cash in those miles!

I also found out that fellow astronomer and BABBer Michelle Thaller will be bringing her thermal imaging camera to AstroFest. Its sensitive to far infrared, and is a blast to play with. That'll be very entertaining.

Candy
2004-Sep-01, 10:23 PM
Sigh. I just made my reservation to fly to Australia on United. They better stay in business at least long enough for me to cash in those miles! :oops: Don't worry, we have been around for 75 years. I have a feeling upper management will offer early retirement with full benefits. That will take care of 6-8K employees that have been lingering around for just that announcement.

I hope you have a great experience on United. 8-[

2004-Sep-02, 06:44 PM
HUb', the sender's address could have been spoofed. I get emails all the time these days complaining that I've sent someone a virus when I never created the original email.
YEP::
thats my EXACT guess also
------
today 9/2
I got aN E-Maiil (reportably from my BANK
that my "CARD" account was to be billed
for some Jewlery purchased in SPAIN
=====
I was plenty sure it was bogus
so I did :"NOT": click the DISCLAIMER
:::::
I did take a printout to my bank
{hmm?} (more on D BANK stories later){maybe}? 11:44AM/FAB/LINUX

Candy
2004-Sep-02, 09:19 PM
------
today 9/2

HUb', you remembered my birthday coming up on 9/5. :lol:

Seriously, I got the days off to attend Astrofest! I am so stoked. :D

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Sep-02, 10:12 PM
Cool! See you there then.

Now I have to go home and cancel my trip to Florida this weekend. :(

Tensor
2004-Sep-03, 04:44 AM

Sure, leave us to deal with the storm. :wink: Actually, we should get you to come in November, then you could attend the Winter Star Party in Cheifland.

2004-Sep-03, 07:36 PM
------
today 9/2

HUb', you remembered my birthday coming up on 9/5. :lol:

Seriously, I got the days off to attend Astrofest! I am so stoked. :D
ohmeohmy
pi in the sky
how can i
bid the Hi

Happy Birthday & A Sunny Sunday

2004-Sep-03, 07:37 PM

dont forget a BUD from Hub

2004-Sep-03, 07:42 PM

Sure, leave us to deal with the storm. :wink: Actually, we should get you to come in November, then you could attend the Winter Star Party in Cheifland.
Ok I addmit it {CONfused}
I did watch TV and can see H F in the sea
it just seams to me the 4caster got it bacWARDS
for some reason.. it was my belief you (Tensor) would
be able to connect to Astronomy without delay or interuption
anyway thats my astrology reading {except its not really a reading}
to do a real READING i need papaer in hand.. its more of a preREADing
{one that i probably won't try to convert to a PAPER? ?? ???

Candy
2004-Sep-03, 07:54 PM
http://home.no/femma/smilies/Lager%20Louts.gif

Doe, John
2004-Sep-03, 11:47 PM
http://home.no/femma/smilies/Lager%20Louts.gifYou always have the coolest smilies

PhantomWolf
2004-Sep-06, 09:03 AM
Is it just me or is HUb' getting easier to understand?

Tensor
2004-Sep-07, 03:36 PM
Ok I addmit it {CONfused}
I did watch TV and can see H F in the sea
it just seams to me the 4caster got it bacWARDS
anyway thats my astrology reading {except its not really a reading}
to do a real READING i need papaer in hand.. its more of a preREADing
{one that i probably won't try to convert to a PAPER? ?? ???

Well, you just about got it right HUB'. I would have been able to connect with no problem, as we didn't lose power or the cable connection. But, my cable modem died and the cable office didn't open until today (and even if it was open yesterday, they had other much more pressing problems to worry about). I'm posting from work, and I will take the bad modem to the office to swap it out. Hope to be back on from home tonight.

Quantum_Raider
2004-Sep-08, 06:02 AM

I wish. I'll be so close... we've watched Lord of the Rings about a billion times, and I would dearly love to see the countryside where it was filmed.

To answer your question, find an organization that'll pay for the trip, and I am there. :o

I sent an email to Stardome Observatory (http://www.stardome.org.nz) (Auckland) letting them know that you were making a close approach BA.

They sounded excited and were looking at contacting a couple of other astro socs to see if they could get you here.

/crosses fingers

2004-Sep-08, 06:39 PM
[quote=HUb']

Well, you just about got it right HUB'.

still confused a bit though
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=327830#327830
between this thread & the one linked to above

Glad you have AC power

Candy
2004-Sep-08, 09:12 PM
between this thread & the one linked to above I like to call it thread hopping. :wink:

Tensor
2004-Sep-09, 01:09 AM

Well, you just about got it right HUB'.

between this thread & the one linked to above

I don't know, was just answering your post here.

Glad you have AC power

Thnaks, never lost power (for either Charley or Frances) and didn't lose cable either. Been lucky so far, don't want to tempt fate with Ivan, so I hope it stays far enough away from us.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Sep-09, 02:13 AM
I sent an email to Stardome Observatory (http://www.stardome.org.nz) (Auckland) letting them know that you were making a close approach BA.

They sounded excited and were looking at contacting a couple of other astro socs to see if they could get you here.

Wow, thanks! I warned the Aussies they may get people from NZ and elsewhere contacting them. It's really exciting to think I might be able to visit... I even told my Aussie friends that I can't wait to go back, and I haven't even been there yet. :D

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Sep-13, 03:23 AM
...I do have a picture of him here in our class picture from 73....looks pretty much the same actually! (maybe i need to hook up my scanner and post it....)

Yes...yes you do...

Quantum_Raider
2004-Oct-07, 01:55 AM

Wow, thanks! I warned the Aussies they may get people from NZ and elsewhere contacting them. It's really exciting to think I might be able to visit... I even told my Aussie friends that I can't wait to go back, and I haven't even been there yet. :D

I've just had a reply from Warren at the Stardome Observatory
---------------------------------------
Hi,
It seems as though Phil Plait wont be visiting NZ this year.
Arrangements are being made for him to visit next year - possibly hosted by the
Royal Society.
If so, they will be able to do more promotion and make it something like a
nationwide tour.

Thanks again for the tip.
It's spurred everyone into action.

Cheers
Warren
Stardome Observatory
---------------------------------------

One word - Woot !

PhantomWolf
2004-Oct-07, 07:44 AM

I guess I'm not entirely letting the cat out of the bag, but We're working hard here to get BA to NZ next year. I've been in contact with the Auckland Society among others and am waiting on hearing back from the RASNZ about if they are willing to jin the effort and fund it. Things sound pretty good.

If you want to PM me Quantum_Raider (or any other NZ'ers that are interested in helping) then we can pool our efforts and get it all organised as a single package.

Heh, not bad for my 1001 post. :)

Candy
2004-Oct-07, 12:43 PM
Heh, not bad for my 1001 post. :) Nice job PW. =D>

Candy
2004-Oct-08, 09:23 AM
We're working hard here to get BA to NZ next year. I want to come. Make sure you post it well in advance. 8)

PhantomWolf
2004-Oct-08, 09:26 AM
We're working hard here to get BA to NZ next year. I want to come. Make sure you post it well in advance. 8)

Ask BA if you can carry his bags. ;)

Maksutov
2004-Oct-08, 10:58 AM

Ask BA if you can carry his bags. ;)

Why did that have me thinking about a scene from Young Frankenstein?

(Bad Movies! Bad Poster! No doughnut!)

:D

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Oct-08, 09:48 PM
Why, thanks Phantom! And by the way, I mailed the CDs today. I have no idea how long it takes to get a package to NZ though. :o

PhantomWolf
2004-Oct-09, 09:03 AM
Why, thanks Phantom! And by the way, I mailed the CDs today. I have no idea how long it takes to get a package to NZ though. :o

Coolies. One to two weeks depending on the time of year. I'll let you know when they get here.

2004-Oct-13, 03:23 PM
Dentist Appointent at 11 (ouch)

R.A.F.
2004-Oct-13, 06:27 PM

Coolies. One to two weeks depending on the time of year. I'll let you know when they get here.

OK...now I'm curious. What CD's???

Candy
2004-Oct-13, 07:16 PM
Dentist Appointent at 11 (ouch) Poor HUb'! 8-[

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Oct-13, 08:38 PM

Just some promotional stuff I put together to sell myself to the media. Interviews and the like. Evidently the Aussie group used them to promote me to the media Down There, and it must have helped because I'll be doing a few TV and radio interviews while I'm there.

2004-Oct-14, 02:27 PM
Dentist Appointent at 11 (ouch) Poor HUb'! 8-[ yeah $85 whoo..

ToSeek
2004-Oct-14, 02:36 PM

Are we talking wallet "ouch" or physical pain "ouch?" Or some of both?

2004-Oct-14, 03:05 PM

deffinatly WALLet

ToSeek
2004-Oct-14, 04:54 PM

deffinatly WALLet

Hard to say which is worse - the physical pain is more unpleasant but shorter-lived.

2004-Oct-14, 09:57 PM

deffinatly WALLet

Hard to say which is worse - the physical pain is more unpleasant but shorter-lived.
{yeah}(YES) exactly where are we headed with this "TOOTH FAIRY" tail? hmmm?

PhantomWolf
2004-Oct-15, 11:55 AM

Just some promotional stuff I put together to sell myself to the media. Interviews and the like. Evidently the Aussie group used them to promote me to the media Down There, and it must have helped because I'll be doing a few TV and radio interviews while I'm there.

Got them today. The egg balancing one inspired me so much that I tried while I was making my scrambled eggs for tea tonight. Well knock me down with the chicken, I got one to stand up. :) I guess I can finally join that privalaged group of BABB members who have been mad enough to try and succeeded. ;)

ToSeek
2004-Oct-15, 01:45 PM

deffinatly WALLet

{yeah}(YES) exactly where are we headed with this "TOOTH FAIRY" tail? hmmm?

Toward getting the topic locked for not talking about astronomy, probably. ;)

2004-Oct-15, 02:13 PM
between this thread & the one linked to above I like to call it thread hopping. :wink:

1? this is really "MY" responce to To
2 howevere I quoute You to TO as I hope you know
3? either where your heading in those threads, or where You've been
----
Let me try2 say that like this
IF1 were to find 4you a ticket to NZ
could you EVEN go?
===
I mean thats seams like a long way
What would you be wearig
an astronomy TOP?
::::
ok ALLRIGHT i'll try& find a link to the TOP in Question
as I REMember I saw your here in 1
{oh me OH MY}?
???// later

heres the link to what I call the Serious Sirius Shirts
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=333464#333464

Candy
2004-Oct-15, 02:37 PM
----
could you EVEN go?
===
What would you be wearig
an astronomy TOP?
{oh me OH MY}?
???// later I'd have to get a passport, I think. I could go, though. I have 4 weeks of Vacation next year. I couldn't stay very long. I have a cat, that I don't trust others to watch for lengthy periods.

While traveling, UA wants us to dress business casual. But definitely, some BA clothes while hanging out. 8) Why do you ask?

2004-Oct-15, 02:48 PM
----
could you EVEN go?
===
What would you be wearig
an astronomy TOP?
{oh me OH MY}?
???// later I'd have to get a passport, I think. I could go, though. I have 4 weeks of Vacation next year. I couldn't stay very long. I have a cat, that I don't trust others to watch for lengthy periods.

While traveling, UA wants us to dress business casual. But definitely, some BA clothes while hanging out. 8) Why do you ask?
FUNd Rais'N

Candy
2004-Oct-15, 03:05 PM
FUNd Rais'N Remember, I am single with no children and work full-time with an airline (great benefits and inexpensive air/car/hotel). I have managed to save a little over the years. :wink:

2004-Oct-16, 03:56 PM
FUNd Rais'N Remember, I am single with no children and work full-time with an airline (great benefits and inexpensive air/car/hotel). I have managed to save a little over the years. :wink:
Wll Good:
now to the chase
I will assume that VP did not show up at AstroFiest
and prehaps i'll have to exclude HIM as Major Sponcer
this ofcourse is an UNknown so i'll skip to fast forward
-----
it seams very clear {looking at the "next to last picture"}
that an inconsistancy exists between the ?" LENGTH OF SLEVE"?
between that photo & the Very First one {as I recall}
====
So its my guess that your costume designer did not get the sleve length
correct {for one reason or ANother} And so i'll begin my approach
whith that Idea.. the length of the sleves of next to last photo 5of 6
::::::
i'll recheck that .. anyway one possibility of course would just be to have
your accompanyment roll up your sleaves for you on the plane or just
after you step down.. Thats possible {I'll call it the Bulky solution}
???/
its my giuess {if you do confer about :"sleve length": with a Valid Person
fermilure with measuring such lengths { it might be found that }
((( Just cutting the sleaves off ))) is "way to go" So straight | or angle / ? \

2004-Oct-16, 04:09 PM
FUNd Rais'N Remember, I am . :wink:
Well Good: now to the chase photo 5of 6

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=333584#333584
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=333584#333584

study the above photo
NOTE the background ICON
I'll call it the Serious Sirius Sponcer
----
Thats the message to carry on your sleve \
syncronize with the message {not that I understand the angle}
====
the Line exists {an I belive YOU should emulate the LINE} \ Right ?

Candy
2004-Oct-17, 04:44 AM
it seams very clear {looking at the "next to last picture"}
that an inconsistancy exists between the ?" LENGTH OF SLEVE"?
between that photo & the Very First one {as I recall}
====
So its my guess that your costume designer did not get the sleve length
correct {for one reason or ANother} And so i'll begin my approach
whith that Idea.. the length of the sleves of next to last photo 5of 6
i'll recheck that .. anyway one possibility of course would just be to have
your accompanyment roll up your sleaves for you on the plane or just
after you step down.. Thats possible {I'll call it the Bulky solution}
???/
its my giuess {if you do confer about :"sleve length": with a Valid Person
fermilure with measuring such lengths { it might be found that }
((( Just cutting the sleaves off ))) is "way to go" So straight | or angle / ? \
You like them sleeves, don't you? :lol: I usually buy my t-shirts and sweatshirts big, because I "usually" only wear them around the house or to work (on midnight's). It's just the comfort factor.

I just ordered this year's fall and winter clothes, so my next photo's should have the proper fitting. :wink:

Wow, I haven't bought new clothes since 9/11/01. I thought I was going to lose my job, so I downsized all expenses. I have been saving every since. That's why I decided to finish college and buy a condo. I have been investing in myself and my future for the last few years. 8)

2004-Oct-18, 02:44 PM
====
You like them sleeves, don't you?
:P :evil: :oops: :evil: :lol: Yes! {of Course} Recall Just last term
(Summer} MY" Ta Class :"WAS": Costume design.. :^o

I usually buy my t-shirts and sweatshirts big,
:o I was attempting a uppword looking approach
tward the Sirius Logo
I'll addmitt I do NOT understand the LOGO meaning

because I "usually" only wear them around the house
YES?yes: My ATTempt to focuse on the Line \
and by that I mean the line in the Sirius Logo
whatever its intended to indicate {I do not comprehend its meaning}

or to work (on midnight's).
yes:yes:yes: by all means YES: I've stood a loy of Mid's myself
and "vlearly" understand the Need for confort at such times
STILL however I REFer to the line \

It's just the comfort factor.
WHATEVER: the line indicates.. It sure would be nice to have the
Sirius Logo design explained in LAy terms
So you & I would both know what was being used for a REFerence point

I just ordered this year's fall and winter clothes,

if I could, I would color this link PINK {I cant so I dont}
http://web.pdx.edu/~pdx00782/Forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=191#191

so my next photo's should have the proper fitting. :wink:
waiting :)
Wow, I haven't bought new clothes since 9/11/01.
:lol:
I thought I was going to lose my job, so I downsized all expenses.
:oops:
I have been saving every since.
:o
That's why I decided to finish college and buy a condo.
#-o
have been investing in myself
:^o
and my future for the last few years. 8)

Candy
2004-Oct-18, 04:31 PM
Sorry HUb' for the misunderstanding. :D

I emailed the Chicago Astronomical Society (http://www.chicagoastro.org/). I will post the results for you when he emails me back.

2004-Oct-20, 02:47 PM
Sorry HUb' for the misunderstanding. :D

Time Day Date JD2453+ Age %il Dist V=Km/Hr MAYAN
6:30 AM Wed 10/20/04 299 7.0 45% 57.1 +47K/H 10CIB 19YAX
again My Humble appology: its not possible for me at this
time to maintain sync? with the the developing tails..
---
i'll continue the Tops Tail with my 3 piece!!! A: inner Long 3/4 length
sleve Turtle neck {red}; B: White, short, short sleve T, C Blue, Halter
====
In the above 3piece: "-/r/W/Blue {Left arm from rear} & waist up
{line left blank}
ok back to the Eclips Question: ?NG810 {I see I was tuned to Solar}
so skip ahead to the Oct 28th Lunar (& a photo of the Moon & NG810)
????
SO will there be an Astronomer on Planet Earth, who can get the shots
its near 2hrRA is all i've now: I see the pink 3/4 sleve now on NBC
//tilt\\ 7:02AM - 38sec?/?
anyway just now its tree limbs with the ant(i?y) Logo /

I emailed the Chicago Astronomical Society (http://www.chicagoastro.org/). I will post the results for you when he emails me back.

Candy
2004-Oct-20, 06:27 PM
Walter said the CAS logo means... (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=350211#350211) Just in case anyone wanted to know. I posted Walter's email on HUb's Lunar thread. 8)

2004-Oct-25, 03:12 PM
Walter said the CAS logo means... (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=350211#350211) Just in case anyone wanted to know. I posted Walter's email on HUb's Lunar thread. 8)

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=353711#353711

what i tried to inply
was "DOUBLE TALK" or double speek {BWUW}
when I click the Walter Link at Chi I get a message that
says yhe path does not exist
& already late for math

see link below for the Math DATE